U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,461,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I guess it would be helpful to define progressive/liberal.

Do you mean areas who voted for Obama and the Democrats? Well, that would be nearly every one of Denver's suburbs.

Do you mean a place with a lot of racial diversity? According to the Denver Post on Sunday, that would be many of Denver's suburbs as well.

Colorado by and large is a fairly educated and tolerant place. Having lived all over the US and growing up in Seattle, you aren't going to find a place that is as "liberal" as Portland or Seattle. Legalizing doctor assisted suicides and pot just haven't quite gained the stronghold that it has in Portland.

That being said, while there are parts of Colorado that are very conservative, most of Colorado considers itself Democratic (whatever that means) and the fact that it attracts many outsiders with higher degrees means that social liberalism usually follows.

However, if you're looking for a place that declares a school trip and brings their elementary school kids to a gay marriage ceremony (a la San Francisco), or a place where people stand around and defecate on the US flag (a la Portland), you will need to find somewhere else to live.

Tolerance here is given to most, but those who like to call themselves "liberal" in order to act like morons and pretend to be the oh-so-intellectual class will find themselves pretty alienated. Most of us don't care what you do in your own house as long as it doesn't trickle into our subdivisions.
Essentially it's more libertarian. Live and let live for the most part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM

21 posts, read 79,196 times
Libertarian is good, I think that's pretty close to what Portland is at its core. We're not defacate-on-the-flag people, but can't say I have an issue with a field trip to witness a civil rights victory. We live in the most "liberal" part of Portland, but we're conventional/corporate types (if you really had to lable us) so I wouldn't describe us as extreme in any way.

Any other neighborhood thoughts are welcome and extremely appreciated. We'll check out Westminster too, sounds nice. Thanks to all taking the time to respond.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM

35 posts, read 56,651 times
Check

Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 PM

35 posts, read 56,651 times
Check out Lafayette,Louisville,Broomfield..great north locations--Boulder/Denver access..And as another poster has said before there are some affordable parts of Boulder at least by California standards..

Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM

291 posts, read 807,375 times
What's the big concern with a liberal neighborhood? Do you plan on talking politics with your neighbors every day? Most people have been taught to not talk about religion or politics in social situations, if you want to remain friends with the people you know. There are plenty of good schools in all parts of town. In your price range, you'll be fine. Generally, schools in communities of high priced homes tend to be above average. In most areas, homes in that size will be from the $400K to over $600K or higher, depending on the neighborhood. Denver has had Democratic mayors as long as I've been here. The suburbs ebb and flow depending on the issues. If you have to have hard core liberal, than Boulder is the place for you.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM

291 posts, read 807,375 times
PS: I forgot to add to check out my album that has photos of Ken Caryl Ranch. It's in the SW part of the suburbs, has a mountain feel, and I would say pretty progressive on most issues, especiall the environment.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,607,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Essentially it's more libertarian. Live and let live for the most part
I think it's more of a "western" thing myself. There's a sort of individuality that is incomparable out here and though many of us are transplants, we've adopted the attitude. It is the kind of place, however, where it's likely your neighbor owns a gun, there are meat and potatoes types of restaurants, people hang the American flag outside of their houses (though not to do the shove it in your face patriotism that seems to be popular elsewhere) and the kids in school still say the Pledge of Allegience. As a contrast, however, it has a very low participation rate of church goers and votes Democratic. It's an interesting mix, I think. We defy most stereotypes politically and socially, but unlike other states I've lived in, most people here seem to live by the laissez faire approach to life.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmsegal View Post
Libertarian is good, I think that's pretty close to what Portland is at its core. We're not defacate-on-the-flag people, but can't say I have an issue with a field trip to witness a civil rights victory. We live in the most "liberal" part of Portland, but we're conventional/corporate types (if you really had to lable us) so I wouldn't describe us as extreme in any way.
Again, I am amazed at some of the questions on this site. One post was "is Denver racist against gay, black men?" another was "is Denver a good place to live for a black single woman" and now this question. What do people think we are out here? Do they think we all walk around in cotton dresses with bibles in our hand or that the KKK is marching through LoDo? Geez. I haven't ridden my horse into town and tied it up to the front of the local saloon since yesterday.

If you are going to stereotype our city and try to find your own version of Portland, you will likely find it in Boulder. Is that the question? Where can we move so that we don't have to blend in with the locals and can continue to pretend you still live in Portland but now have to live here? Boulder is closer to the class field trip to witness a gay marriage ceremony more than any suburb in Denver. By the way, why do you want to live in the suburbs? Most are filled with Best Buy, Applebees, minivans, carpools, soccer games and people walking their dogs. It seems like someone who's first concern is a "liberal/progressive" area followed by one that has good schools would hate everything having to do with suburbia.

Incidentally, the stand of Libertarians is the primary belief that individuals should be able to rule themselves with minimal inteference from the government. It's been confused by those who want to claim to be libertarians in order to create anarchy and act like morons, but those who are leaders in the Libertarian party are the most outspoken about things like this bail out bill and horror-of-horrors, the HOAs that seem to dominate our suburbs. It's not a catch phrase for "cool place to live." Your Libertarian neighbor is the one who paints his house neon green, grows pot in his backyard and has an RV in his driveway that hold his friends who come for an extended visit.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,718,689 times
These are excellent points, the3Ds! I've never been able to wrap my mind around people that just have to live surrounded by others who think exactly the way they do. It's almost like they're too insecure about their beliefs to just be an individual. And from my experience it's actually the "liberals" who are the worst offenders of wanting to section themselves off from everyone else.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
These are excellent points, the3Ds! I've never been able to wrap my mind around people that just have to live surrounded by others who think exactly the way they do. It's almost like they're too insecure about their beliefs to just be an individual. And from my experience it's actually the "liberals" who are the worst offenders of wanting to section themselves off from everyone else.
I just get tired of people who move to an area and try to make it into the one they just left. My husband got a job here and we moved here without knowing anything about Denver. We moved from Florida and I loved it there, but I don't spend my time complaining about the lack of seafood and beaches or southern Baptists! It's about embracing what is unique about your new city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or