U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I consider myself intelligent and reasonable too. I have always tried to contribute to the questions as it wasn't long ago when I was searching for a place to live after moving to Denver as well. As someone who has those qualities, the last thing we in Denver need is another person to move here and talk non-stop about how much better their last place was. How many people do we need to hear from who talk about how much more snow they had in their old city, or how much more intelligent their old city was or how much better the drivers were in the old place? Good grief. The question did not have anything positive that is pulling them towards Denver except that it has sunny days. That's not a good enough reason to move to Denver. Many of us have found ourselves here because of job transfers and, like my family, are finding ourselves adapting and enjoying our new city. Denver is not Portland. Not the attitudes nor the climate. Her post on the SF site specifically said she wanted to recreate Portland and that is ridiculous.

Actually, it annoys me when people pretend that they are "oh so above societal rules" and ask weird questions like "where's a good progressive/liberal place to live?" and then goes on to say that an "inner city" neighborhood would have a good vibe? Even the people who say that Stapleton is more "liberal" admit freely that there are those who live there who are not open minded. I am sure that despite it's reputation, Highlands Ranch has many "liberal" residents too. Assuming she's intelligent (which all clues point to her being), the term "inner city" is not the same thing as "downtown" or close to the urban core. Inner city is specifically used to describe an area that has fallen to urban decay as the suburbs sprouted up. So basically, she's asking, "where can I move to prove to everyone how cool my family is that we don't want to move somewhere safe with good schools. Oh no, we want to find a place to live to subject our kids to failing schools, rampant voilence and homeless shelters and in order to show how "modern" we are." She didn't say an area that was diverse, or a great downtown place to live for families. I don't even think those who live in the "inner city" want to live there.
I think you're reading way too much into the OP and trying to get into her mind. If I moved to Portland, I'd try to recreate what I have in Denver, meaning a social neighborhood, good schools, accepting area. So what? If I said I was moving to Limon and wanted to recreate what I have in Denver, then I'd need you to call me out on that!

There are 3 million people in this metro area - you're not going to agree with or even like every one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,598,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmsegal View Post
I continue to chuckle at your postings, 3D, particularly from someone who "just wants everyone to get along". I certainly have better things to do with my time than troll your prior postings, but feel free to read mine. What was this "smoking gun" in my SF thread -- that I really like where I live but it seems unsustainable given my husband's winter depressions? Are you somehow classifying me as some crazy liberal b/c I live in Portland and have posted on the SF board when I thought we might move there, or is it because I actually like the city I live in and that's threatening/annoying to you? We've struggled with this geography issue for many years, and recently my husband's job situation has changed (he left his firm in SF and is doing independent work) and we're evaluating our options. I posted here to information-gather and have managed to do so, tirades notwithstanding.
Chuckle away. I DO want everyone to get along which is why I am questioning your specific desire to move to a "liberal" city. Are you under the impression that your kids are going to be bombarded with anti-gay, pro-church propaganda if you don't find that ideal place? Denver is hardly considered a conservative city so I'm wondering why you are hunting for somewhere "liberal" in order for you to fit? If you moved to a conservative area with good schools, can't you be good examples to your neighbors? Even in Highlands Ranch (which has been classified as conservative) I am sure there were people with Obama signs in their yards. My neighborhood was full of them.

The "smoking gun" was you saying you want to recreate your Portland neighborhood. Since you've only written (at last count) 20 or so posts, it's not hard to scroll through them. From them, you didn't even say you'd been to Denver and liked it enough to consider moving here. You seem to want to move to Denver only for the sunshine, but made a point to mention that Portland has polite drivers and civility, and then went on to rave about it as if it is heaven-on-earth without the sunshine. As there is no "perfect" city, most people usually have a few things they wish they could change. For me, the lack of moisture here makes me crazy...getting a shock when you turn on a light and using literally bottles of lotion to keep your skin from falling off. But I don't want to recreate the Florida humidity that we experienced before we moved here. You specifically asked about "red state" areas so you can avoid them and that makes me question how much you even know about us. At last check, Colorado is firmly considered a "purple" state (and even that, I believe is due to Colorado Springs being more conservative than Denver). It's not a crime to question someone who doesn't seem to have a reason to move here other than the weather and doesn't seem to have done any research on an area where you are willing to pack up your family and move to. I've been on this site long enough to see that there are too many people on it who complain incessantly about Denver while glorifying their old/new city.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM

229 posts, read 671,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
Well, if you work in Boulder or Interlocken (as many of my techie neighbors do), Stapleton is one crappy commute. From here it's 5 minutes to Interlocken and 20 to Boulder. Also I can get downtown in 20 minutes on the express bus, hardly the "hell away from anything" (well, except for the DTC LOL--so is Stapleton). I'm also a 5 minute walk to an extensive open space with bike/running trails that go forever (Stapleton to be fair also has this), many parks etc.. and most houses in Stapleton are not 5-10 minute walking distance to more than 15 restaurants, 4 bars, many stores, organic grocer, etc.. every single house in Bradburn is, so is a matter of what the hell you want be close to I guess Most houses in Stapleton are walking distance to....more houses, simply because of Stapleton's size. I know that hopefully will change as more small town centers in Stapleton are devleoped.
Hey, most homes in Stapleton are only a 5-10 minute walk to the airport control tower - or is it some sort of Berlin wall watchtower?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think you're reading way too much into the OP and trying to get into her mind. If I moved to Portland, I'd try to recreate what I have in Denver, meaning a social neighborhood, good schools, accepting area. So what? If I said I was moving to Limon and wanted to recreate what I have in Denver, then I'd need you to call me out on that!

There are 3 million people in this metro area - you're not going to agree with or even like every one of them!
If you moved to Portland, why would you try to recreate what you had in Denver? If you were looking for a social neighborhood with good schools, why wouldn't you just ask that (or find one of the many previous postings that asked the same thing)? I understand trying to find an area where you feel at home (you looking for a place with other gay families, for example), but it's not as if you didn't find that, your house would get burned down! You know that when your kids start school, even in the area you live now, you are going to have some idiot parent who will have a problem with you being a gay dad. There are idiots everywhere. I'll bet that you would be willing to move if your gay-friendly area went hand-in-hand with high crime or bad schools (especially since you have kids). Perhaps I have a different perspective, having moved around the country so much and learning that you can't recreate anything other than the decor on the inside of your house, but by and large, I have found Denver to be a very open-minded, educated, outdoorsy kind of place. The open-minded and educated part usually leads to being more accepting of societal differences and the outdoorsy part means you are bound to run into your neighbors while you're walking your dog or riding your bike. I'm also sure that, despite Highlands Ranch's reputation as being conservative, you will find plenty of people who don't attend church, wave pro-life flags and socialize with their neighbors of a different race (though in HR, there aren't too many minorities ). I'll also bet that in Stapleton (or Boulder for that matter), you'll meet plenty of people who are bible-thumping conservatives. You're right...there are tons of people who live here and because of that, I don't see what's wrong with questioning someone who is wanting to come here just because of the weather. Her previous postings lead me to believe that she will be yet another one who talks about how much better things were where she used to live and I think I can speak for all of us and say that this sort of attitude is very annoying.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
People here in Colorado are pretty accepting for the most part - more than we imagined.

I don't find I bond with people based on their political views anyway. And I don't think people should avoid talking politics just because they might disagree. Doing so is what helps us grow and learn. I understand that politics and religion can destroy friendships, but personally, I don't think that people should allow that to happen. I think we've all become a little too sensitive over the years and put too much emphasis on political views.

So basically, I wouldn't just choose an area based solely on political views. And don't limit yourself to being around only those who agree with your views. From what we've seen so far, Colorado has a good mix of liberals and conservatives. It's pretty close to the center of the spectrum. And for the most part, everyone is welcoming no matter what your viewpoint.
Well said, Ludachris (sorry for cutting up so much of your post) and far less b&tchy than my post . Incidentally, since you mentioned hearing anti-gay, anti-minority comments, I have found that uncomfortable silence and refraining from even the uncomfortable laugh does wonders. While there are people who are totally out of touch with their audience, most will realize they just put their foot in their mouth.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well, if you work in Boulder or Interlocken (as many of my techie neighbors do), Stapleton is one crappy commute. From here it's 5 minutes to Interlocken and 20 to Boulder. Also I can get downtown in 20 minutes on the express bus, hardly the "hell away from anything" (well, except for the DTC LOL--so is Stapleton). I'm also a 5 minute walk to an extensive open space with bike/running trails that go forever (Stapleton to be fair also has this), many parks etc.. and most houses in Stapleton are not 5-10 minute walking distance to more than 15 restaurants, 4 bars, many stores, organic grocer, etc.. every single house in Bradburn is, so is a matter of what the hell you want be close to I guess Most houses in Stapleton are walking distance to....more houses, simply because of Stapleton's size. I know that hopefully will change as more small town centers in Stapleton are devleoped.
OK, I had time at luch, so I took a tour of Bradburn. My office is actually closer to Bradburn than Stapleton by a couple miles.

My impression of it is that it's a little piece of Stapleton - very similar, just much smaller. I also noticed that New Town offers floorplans/exteriors in Bradburn that they don't in Stapleton - odd, and I wonder why that is. I also think many of the homes in Bradburn have better exteriors than those in Stapleton, meaning more historic looking, more brick, better paint colors - my only thought on that is that maybe since land is more expensive in Stapleton, they cut costs a bit on exteriors. I looked at a flyer for a New Town house for sale that's identical to the same model they sell in Stapleton, and I'd say the house in Bradburn is $80K to $100K cheaper than it goes for in Stapleton, so definitely a better deal there. The town center was very nice, and within walking distance of all homes. I really likee the row homes and that Presbyterian church is awesome looking.

The odd thing was driving into the neighborhood just to the west - It felt like an odd juxtaposition of 'burbs and urban, or warm and cozy vs. blah and bland (those houses are kind of ugly, IMO). But then Stapleton certainly has some odd juxtapostions along some of its borders too. The main plus I can see with Stapleton is that we're near downtown, Cherry Creek, and everything in "the city", although Bradburn isn't a horrible drive to get downtown or anything.

How much bigger will Bradburn be? Or is it near buildout? Overall I loved it. Stapleton has a long way to go before buildout. I wish they'd get moving on our second town center - that's a big annoyance for those of us on the east end.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,435,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
OK, I had time at luch, so I took a tour of Bradburn. My office is actually closer to Bradburn than Stapleton by a couple miles.

My impression of it is that it's a little piece of Stapleton - very similar, just much smaller. I also noticed that New Town offers floorplans/exteriors in Bradburn that they don't in Stapleton - odd, and I wonder why that is. I also think many of the homes in Bradburn have better exteriors than those in Stapleton, meaning more historic looking, more brick, better paint colors - my only thought on that is that maybe since land is more expensive in Stapleton, they cut costs a bit on exteriors. I looked at a flyer for a New Town house for sale that's identical to the same model they sell in Stapleton, and I'd say the house in Bradburn is $80K to $100K cheaper than it goes for in Stapleton, so definitely a better deal there. The town center was very nice, and within walking distance of all homes. I really likee the row homes and that Presbyterian church is awesome looking.

The odd thing was driving into the neighborhood just to the west - It felt like an odd juxtaposition of 'burbs and urban, or warm and cozy vs. blah and bland (those houses are kind of ugly, IMO). But then Stapleton certainly has some odd juxtapostions along some of its borders too. The main plus I can see with Stapleton is that we're near downtown, Cherry Creek, and everything in "the city", although Bradburn isn't a horrible drive to get downtown or anything.

How much bigger will Bradburn be? Or is it near buildout? Overall I loved it. Stapleton has a long way to go before buildout. I wish they'd get moving on our second town center - that's a big annoyance for those of us on the east end.
the typical new urbanism sub-division is going to be .7 x.7 miles square. there are homes already built up to the edge, with plenty of infill lots left. the "town center" will extend to the shopping center just to the west. I have to agree on that sub-division next to bradburn, it looks like the builder in that one got a GREAT deal on stucco, and light tan paint lol.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
the typical new urbanism sub-division is going to be .7 x.7 miles square. there are homes already built up to the edge, with plenty of infill lots left. the "town center" will extend to the shopping center just to the west. I have to agree on that sub-division next to bradburn, it looks like the builder in that one got a GREAT deal on stucco, and light tan paint lol.
Ha ha - I was thinking the same thing. Those houses reminded me of Orange County where people had taken '60s ranch houses (that actually had some architectural detail) and had them "updated" in the early '90s but stuccoing them over. But on the positive side, I doubt the stucco dwellers are any threat to life or property values within Bradburn!

I would imagine that like Stapleton, the poor economy has slowed the pace a bit in Bradburn. Stapleton has a lot of space along MLK that still needs to be developed, the whole area around the tower, and then a second town center where they've been unable to get a grocery store to come in. They say that once they secure a grocery store, the rest will fall into place.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 PM

694 posts, read 1,789,253 times
ROTFL! We call the neighborhood you're referring to just to our west "The Beige Neighborhood". One interesting thing people here have noticed when out walking during the summer--there's this sort-of invisible line when you cross from our neighborhood--where there are tons of people out walking/sitting on porches/talking/kids playing--to the beige neighborhood which is essentially a ghost town pretty much all the time. The houses are fairly unattractive in my opinion but they are a good deal price per square foot wise--those house are around $30-50 less per square foot than Bradburn homes.

Bradburn is about 2/3 built out residential but the commercial area is only around 1/4 built out right now. The economy has slowed things significantly, especially in the commercial area. We are getting two new buildings down there this year, one is a super cool very modern 4 story building with first floor retail and condos above (ranging in price from the 500s to 1.5 mil!!??? crazy I hope they sell).

Here's that building

REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=726276 - broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
ROTFL! We call the neighborhood you're referring to just to our west "The Beige Neighborhood". One interesting thing people here have noticed when out walking during the summer--there's this sort-of invisible line when you cross from our neighborhood--where there are tons of people out walking/sitting on porches/talking/kids playing--to the beige neighborhood which is essentially a ghost town pretty much all the time. The houses are fairly unattractive in my opinion but they are a good deal price per square foot wise--those house are around $30-50 less per square foot than Bradburn homes.

Bradburn is about 2/3 built out residential but the commercial area is only around 1/4 built out right now. The economy has slowed things significantly, especially in the commercial area. We are getting two new buildings down there this year, one is a super cool very modern 4 story building with first floor retail and condos above (ranging in price from the 500s to 1.5 mil!!??? crazy I hope they sell).

Here's that building

REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=726276 - broken link)
I was wondering if the "beige houses" were cheaper per sq. foot. They look fairly big, but the exterior quality seemes rather cheap. I prefer a smaller house with the architectural detail - quality rather than quantity.

New Town seems to have more diversity within it's houses in Bradburn- maybe the developer forced that since they're a dominant builder there. It looks like there's some other builder that we don't have - the houses were toward the middle of the development with lots of stone, heavy timbers over a front porth that I noticed - very nice homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or