Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
When I was shoveling the 'blizzard' snow last Friday, I was sweating too much to keep my sunglasses on, so I took them off, and couldn't see anything when I walked into the house. Granted, the inability to see wore off after a few minutes, but was no fun while it lasted. Sorry you had to go through that. Next time get those sunglasses on!
Or better yet, ski goggles.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Yes, there really is such a thing. It's often called snow blindness and is simply a UV burn to the surface of the eye. Fortunately, it usually heals within 24h, but can be quite painful. Another reason for UV protection to the eyes is long-term exposure is associated with other problems like cataracts and pterygia.
Yes, that was definitely my "lesson learned." I knew about wearing sunglasses when skiing, I just didn't think of it when I was shoveling in front of my house. What was weird is that they didn't hurt while I was doing it...I don't really remember squinting that much. Anyway, that really freaked me out and was quite painful (and longlasting). I usually wear sunglasses when I am driving, I just didn't think of it.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:18 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Or better yet, ski goggles.
Well, I know most of my neighbors and they would likely get a chuckle out of seeing me in my bright pink ski goggles shoveling snow! It would be like that scene on Seinfeld when George couldn't find his glasses so he wore his prescription swim goggles around.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 18,051 times
If it's not a "rough" (roof) what is it?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebeed View Post
If it's not a "rough" (roof) what is it?
Roo-oof

Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
It's pronounced roof. Rhymes with spoof. Or doof[us].

Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,544 times
No way in hell Denver is a midwestern city. And I would go so far and say that Denver has alot more in common with the west coast states then anything in the midwest.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
aha! spoken like a true voyeur!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times
Denver's definately not "midwestern."

I agree with the poster who claims that Denver has alot more in common with the west coast than with the midwest. Culturally, I think that Denver has alot more in common with say, San Diego than with say, Kansas City.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
I see the "west" as actually two separate regions. There's the Pacific Coast and the Mountain West. Denver is clearly in the mountain west along with the rest of our timezone and the inland portions of the pacific states.

Likewise, I see the "midwest" also as two separate regions: the Great Lakes and the Great Plains. Rapid City, for example, is clearly the latter and Cleveland, say, is the former. Places like Omaha, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Des Moines fall uncomfortably in-between. Once you get to the Mississippi (for example, the twin cities), I'd say you're safely in the "Great Lakes" region.

Denver probably fits best in the "Mountain West" region, but a strong case could be made for making it at the western end of the "Great Plains" region.

In reality, I see it as both. I see Denver is the capital of two regions: the Mountain West and the Great Plains. As we say we're "The Rocky Mountain Empire" and also the "Queen City of the Plains." I don't see any competitors for the title on either side. In the mountain west, the only competitor could be Phoenix, but IMO it's far less of a "capital city" than Denver is, despite its greater size. We'll call Phoenix the regional capital of the "Interior Southwest," a sub-division of the Mountain West. The great plains region is also empty of competitors for the title of capital. A case could be made for Omaha, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, or Dallas -- but all four are more on the outer edge of the great plains or outside it altogether. Denver seems a better geographical fit for the great plains that Dallas, and much higher stature than Omaha, Kansas City, and OKC combined.

Being the unofficial capital of two major subregions is one reason why Denver's national stature is higher than you would expect for a city of 550k with 2.5M metro population. If we were located in, say, Texas, we'd be the sixth largest city, third largest metro, and probably would be little known nationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver