Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,916 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are going to rent a place in Denver this upcoming summer. We heard that Denver is a very "outdoorsy" town, meaning that most activities involve the outdoors. (i.e hiking, rafting etc).

The two of us enjoy the occasional climb or paddle, but we're not avid outdoorsmen.

So my question is: is Denver actually dominated by these kind of activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
I'm gonna get hammered for this because I don't live in Denver (yet), but I've done a lot of homework on it.

Denver is (as if often repeated) on the plains and not actually in the mountains. It's effectively a high desert and brush type ecosystem, which means it's dry and relatively flat.

Now, the mountains aren't far, but the routes into them are sparse, including I-70 which is apparently a massive bottleneck most weekends headed up into the Rockies for climbing, hiking, skiing, etc... There's also some activity up and down the front range in Boulder, near Fort Collins, and down in Colorado Springs. Water sports, it seems, are not as popular (though some do exist) simply because there isn't that much water. I've seen photos of people kayaking the South Platte and some boating and fishing at some of the reservoirs, which might be worthwhile if it's not something you already have experience with elsewhere...otherwise it could be a bit disappointing.

That said, Denver and the surrounding cities have a MASSIVE interconnected park system, often running along former (and current) waterways (barely even streams in some cases.) In fact, Denver is somewhat famous for it's parks and seems to have plenty of outdoor recreation in that sense for everyone.

It's a city that seems heavily influenced by it's suburbs, even while the urban core is strengthening, and posts I've seen on here point to occasionally taking advantage of natural world for "outdoorsy" activities, but 95% of the time just trying to make a living and pay the bills - just as in any other city. I think Denverites are more active than people in a lot of other places (I'd find it hard not to be with a park system like that and such a blend of mountain and plains activities within just an hour or two) but I don't know that Denver is "dominated" by those activities.

Personally, I think the option is there and that's part of the appeal for me as opposed to some cities that lack those kinds of amenities.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
My family doesn't ski (gasp!) or kayak, and we're perfectly happy here. Denver is a moderately-sized city with all the normal city amenities. You won't feel out of place if you only occasionally partake of the vast outdoor recreational resources. However, Colorado is a gorgeous place with great weather, so don't be surprised if you eventually find the lure of the open spaces irresistible.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:11 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
I don't ski either! But I am in Breck today. Glenwood Springs tomorrow and at the rec center in HR on Saturday look for me in the hot tub or the sauna.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBoy View Post
My friend and I are going to rent a place in Denver this upcoming summer. We heard that Denver is a very "outdoorsy" town, meaning that most activities involve the outdoors. (i.e hiking, rafting etc).

The two of us enjoy the occasional climb or paddle, but we're not avid outdoorsmen.

Denverites, and Coloradans in general, are consistently ranked as some of the healthiest people in the country. Not that we all do similar activities but we do enjoy close to 300 days of sun and that makes us want to be outside. Low humidity and few bugs also makes being outside ideal. Denver is incredibly walkable and I am out everyday in the summer and fall for walks, most of the time in the winter and spring as long as it is not too cold or wet of a day. We have over 200 parks and yes, they are well used.

You can easily get to places to climb within 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Paddling a kayak can be done in the city or the hills. Hiking is very easy as well and not sparse with the road in as mentioned earlier. You just need to plan your trip in and out of the hills well and know alternate routes. The foothills are widely accessible for hiking with few problems.

I walked around Washington Park on 3.20.09 and here are some pics of a March day with temps in the 60s:

My new best friend, at least until the beer is gone!

Cool Senior!

Topped off with this!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,757 times
Quote:

I guess the bigger question here is why you would want to move to Denver? What about our city makes it appealing for your and your friend?

The short answer is yes, Denver is an outdoorsy city. Not everyone skis and kayaks, but most of us find ourselves outside a lot. My entire neighborhood comes alive after 5 with people biking, walking their dogs, taking their kids out, etc. I have lived in Phoenix and Florida and can say without hesitation that the people here in Denver seem to enjoy the outside a lot more than the other places. It's rated as the #1 healthiest state for a reason, but you don't have to be one of those "hike with a 50 pound backpack and camp for a week" types either. You'll find yourself wanting to be outside and will see people enjoying the parks right along with you.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 AM

565 posts, read 1,847,760 times
I would say that Denver is not an 'outdoorsy' city if you mean outdoor activities in town and right at the city border. Denver does have the usual city parks and ability to go biking or running in the city.

Denver is 'outdoorsy' in that, for a large city, there are lots of folks that enjoy outdoor activities that live in Denver. You can't just go out your door without a car for a typical outdoorsman type activity. They still have to travel to do their skiing, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, kayaking.... Because of this, there are a fair amount of good outdoor stores in Denver such as Bass Pro and Gander Mountain Sports. ...although going to these stores does not an outdoorsman make!

If you are renting for the summer with plans of working, nightlife, and weekend outdoor trips, Denver is the largest city in Colorado with 1 hour drives to many outdoor activities. If you are renting for the summer with the goal of spending vacation time doing outdoorsman type activities - there are probably better places.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:30 AM

16 posts, read 146,024 times
Quote:

You may want to also pay mind to the "Menver" reputation, you can google it, and the fact that the nightlife is a guy fest, pretty much

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-24-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiaan90040 View Post
You may want to also pay mind to the "Menver" reputation, you can google it, and the fact that the nightlife is a guy fest, pretty much
If they're gay, that would be another plus

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-24-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 08:55 AM

366 posts, read 1,374,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiaan90040 View Post
Aint that the truth!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-24-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver