U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,567 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Denver and think we have found an apartment that we would like. It is in the City Park neighborhood, on 17th and Steele, right across from the park. I've searched the forums for opinions on City Park specifically, but can only find info on City Park West, Congress Park, Cheesman Park, and other surrounding areas.

Is the City Park neighborhood "safe"? Could I, a young female, walk my dog alone in the evening safely? I found some stats online that City Park had a higher crime rate than Denver as a whole, and higher than those previously mentioned surrounding neighborhoods, but the stats were old, so I'm not sure if they are still accurate.

If there is higher crime, does anyone know why?

We're both in our 20s, no kids, one dog, and we like historic areas that are good for walking around green spaces and to coffee shops/independent stores/etc.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

LT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM

2,176 posts, read 5,410,652 times
You can look at crime maps on the City and County of Denver's website.

I don't know anyone who lives there, but I drive by on 17th frequently, and the area doesn't strike me as being unsafe at all. In fact, I see plenty of people out running or walking dogs, etc., along 17th on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

With that said, you should still check out the crime maps and possibly visit the area first before you decide on the apartment, just to be on the safe side. But really, it should be OK.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie0709 View Post
Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Denver and think we have found an apartment that we would like. It is in the City Park neighborhood, on 17th and Steele, right across from the park. I've searched the forums for opinions on City Park specifically, but can only find info on City Park West, Congress Park, Cheesman Park, and other surrounding areas.

Is the City Park neighborhood "safe"? Could I, a young female, walk my dog alone in the evening safely? I found some stats online that City Park had a higher crime rate than Denver as a whole, and higher than those previously mentioned surrounding neighborhoods, but the stats were old, so I'm not sure if they are still accurate.

If there is higher crime, does anyone know why?

We're both in our 20s, no kids, one dog, and we like historic areas that are good for walking around green spaces and to coffee shops/independent stores/etc.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

LT
I just so happened to live three houses down from those aparments back in the early/mid 90s. I never experienced any crime issues in that neighborhood. I think it's great- plus there are a few good restaurants near Colfax/Steele that weren't there before. You can walk to restaurants, the zoo, museum, and City Park - plus it's easier to hop on a bus to get downtown than drive and park. This neighborhood is only getting better.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,958,732 times
Very safe. Quite a few things to do in that local stretch of Colfax. The park is a nice plus and you will have quick access to the free Jazz in the Park concerts on Sundays in the summer.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM

91 posts, read 292,648 times
I really like that area. It's not far from the Bluebird Theatre and several cool bars. If you're in to gourmet cupcakes and rare action figures, there's some unique stores on Colfax that cater to those interests. Also it's a short walk from the Tattered Cover bookstore and Twist and Shout Records. Very nice area. I love the older houses over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or