U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 AM

16 posts, read 135,031 times

Advertisements

I don't like it. I am from Woodland Hills, and plan on moving back to Los Angeles when the economy is better. Denver, for a city it's size is veeeery conservative.
And I do miss my California Girls. Denver women do not even hold a candle to the vibe, or the openminded women in So Cali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,042,476 times
Quote:
I'm not saying this to be mean, but have you ever left California? Did you seriously think that there'd be no Californians here?
No kidding. SoCal created such a blighted sprawling overpriced mess that many folks were forced out. The odd part is how many of them moved to other areas of the country and attempted right away to recreate the same mess.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,021,211 times
You could move to Boulder California,,whoops I mean Colorado

Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,607,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiaan90040 View Post
And I do miss my California Girls. Denver women do not even hold a candle to the vibe, or the openminded women in So Cali
Sorry, I just have to speak up for my fellow female peeps:

Most "California Girls" aren't from California. They moved there and took up the stereotype. I have many friends who live in California and not one of them was born there.

Many "Denver women" are from California.

To each his/her own. You don't have to have the entire dating pool filled with gorgeous women to find one. I'm sure whatever state has been labeled as the "ugliest in America" would have a few who were drop dead gorgeous.

As for conservativism in Colorado...it's a matter of perspective. According to the Center for Voting Research which studies voting patterns, Denver is neither in the top 25 nor in the bottom 25. The only city in Colorado on either list is Colorado Springs at #6. Incidentally, neither San Diego or Los Angeles were on those lists either. Here's the link: Study Ranks Americas Most Liberal and Conservative Cities. I suppose if you live near a Mormon Church or another area which attracts people from a church congregation, you'd have a different perspective, but Denver attracts a large number of non-natives with higher degrees. Higher education usually means a larger tolerance towards people of different backgrounds.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,085,352 times
Quote:
I don't like it. I am from Woodland Hills, and plan on moving back to Los Angeles when the economy is better. Denver, for a city it's size is veeeery conservative.
based on what? Denver voted blue in the last election, so did the state as a whole.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,085,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Yes. Especially in the south suburbs. Although not quite as many as on this forum-- this forum is really skewed towards the Californians for some reason.
I know people in the south metro area from all over - Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Washington, New Hampshire, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, and California. I don't find there to be THAT many more from CA than anyplace else.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 15,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Talk about three different places.

Re: "People are really down to earth and friendly", I would say anything you hear about "people" should be taken with a grain of salt. You don't want to have too high of expectations for "people".

What is Denver like?
-Hmmm, why don't you come out and see?

Has anyone moved there from California?
-Yes, myself, and thousands of others.

What is your experience like living there?
-It's been good for me, for the most part.

Do you like it?
-Yes.

How would you compare it to California? (I refuse to call it "Cali")
-Denver is a lot like CA, if you stay in the suburbs. Denver has it's own character. Everything here is (for lack of a better term) nicer, including the ghettos.

How cold do the winters get?
-Much colder than SD/OC. But, you can get accustomed to it. We don't have the typical Midwestern/Northeastern winters. Our winters are more tentative.

How is the weather in the summer?
-Pretty varied. Sometimes it's in the upper 70's, other times it's in the upper 90's-low 100s. We get afternoon thunderstorms pretty often too.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but have you ever left California? Did you seriously think that there'd be no Californians here?
Actually, I spent a month driving around the entire United States just after High School and drove across country from California to N.Carolina 2 years ago. I've been to 26 out of the 50 states and who knows how many cities. I've never been to Denver or Seattle though, but I've heard they are really nice cities. The only city that I have been to that I would want to live outside California is Raleigh, NC. But, I would like to find something a bit closer to family if I can. I'm mainly looking for a city with a different personality, atmosphere and vibe than California. I'm not your typical Californian, I'm looking to get away from the California craziness, not live like it again.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:22 PM

719 posts, read 2,357,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
based on what? Denver voted blue in the last election, so did the state as a whole.
You can paint the Front Range, excluding Colorado Springs, and the mountain resorts, blue. You can paint everywhere else red. Rural Colorado, like most rural places in the U.S. is vastly conservative/libertarian.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Quote:
I don't have any direct experience dating Denver women, especially considering most of the women I know here are transplants.

But, I don't know what you find so open-minded about CA women. "California Girls" are the most close-minded bunch of them all, many of whom don't even give you the time of day if you don't meet their prerequisites concerning status. Race, income, and family, can be deal-breakers. The "California Girls" that I'm thinking you are referring to, are the fake-boobed out, sunglassed, made-up, tanned, BMW'ed chicks that are more concerned about owning the latest fashionable handbag above all else. Sure, they can be hot, but what fun/good are they if you can't have anything more than a meaningless superficial conversation with them? I've had "friends" like those women I just described, and believe me, if you are looking for fairweather and tentative, you'll find it with them. (I'm speaking about Greater LA here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Sorry, I just have to speak up for my fellow female peeps:

Most "California Girls" aren't from California. They moved there and took up the stereotype. I have many friends who live in California and not one of them was born there.
Methinks you are right.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM

10 posts, read 15,611 times
Originally Posted by christiaan90040

Makes Denver sound good for me. I mainly want to move out of California because I think that some California Girls can be very materialistic, stuck up, and actually very closed-minded. That's one reason why I'm looking to move out of state. I would like to find a nice, down to earth, super friendly girl. She doesn't need to be a super model, just a good person. Its really hard to find that in California.

Last edited by BrfromCali; 04-04-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or