U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:33 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,677,487 times

Advertisements

Some really good points here, some a little off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That's what all us Californians said before moving here.

You won't get a break from the rat-race in Denver, or Seattle (especially) or Raleigh; you'll get big gulps of it daily.
Exactly. Denver is not some quiet peaceful little place. It's a big city too with plenty of pushy people, rude drivers & road rage, and crime all of its own.

Quote:
The only way to escape the craziness is to move to a small-town. And, if you are like me, after living in a small-town for awhile, you'll be dying for some craziness.
Exactly.

Quote:
Come out to Denver (or Seattle/Raleigh), and immerse yourself in the place. Live in Denver, not the suburbs. Soak yourself in the city and the nearby mountains, and find out what living here is all about. Become a Coloradan.
That could be true, or it could be a bunch of baloney. Depends what neighborhood you're talking about. A lot of these neighborhoods in Denver have been so gentrified and yuppie-ized that they don't even resemble the places that my dad or grandfather grew up in. Some of these trendy neighborhoods don't even have many original native Coloradan families living there anymore.

Quote:
Or, you could rent an apartment in Highlands Ranch
or central Aurora

Quote:
, and spend 45 minutes driving to work in your car. Then, it'd be just like living in Orange County again! Yay!
Or you could live in Denver just to announce to everybody that you're an enlightened urban hipster and spend 45 minutes driving to work in the suburbs, like the Tech Center or Broomfield, where the jobs are. The freeway flows both directions, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, but they mostly live/frequent the trendy 'hoods. You'll find them in LoDo, Highlands, etc. I don't think they are all CA'ians, but many women/people down towards downtown give off the same "I'm better than you" vibe.
I don't even think California girls are so great. That's so... yesterday. Arizona girls, otoh are REALLY hot, as I had the pleasure of experiencing for 4 years at ASU and also on my trips down to UA. I've heard a lot of people say that Arizona today is what California used to be a generation ago.

Quote:
I found my woman in a small CA town. What worked for me, was moving to a place that was the complete opposite of what my perfect place would be, i.e. I lived somewhere I hated. She's a native-CA girl too, but she's from the high desert; there's not much superficiality up there.

You need to meet a nice, boring (I mean this in a nice way), girl from somewhere like Thornton. That's it, that's the one.
I think you could be on to something-- thinking out of the box! How many people, honestly, have met their loved one at a trendy bar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 PM

13,228 posts, read 24,332,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Some really good points here, some a little off the mark.

Quote:
That could be true, or it could be a bunch of baloney. Depends what neighborhood you're talking about. A lot of these neighborhoods in Denver have been so gentrified and yuppie-ized that they don't even resemble the places that my dad or grandfather grew up in. Some of these trendy neighborhoods don't even have many original native Coloradan families living there anymore.
You're right. I myself wouldn't want to live in any of the gentriyuppified neighborhoods, I prefer the more boring (and to me, more interesting) established neighborhoods, the ones that truly reflect Denver/CO culture.

IMO, the people that live in Denver's gentriyuppified neighborhoods at least take advantage of what the area has to offer. Washington Park is a good example of this, people that take advantage of what "their" neighborhood has to offer, even if they are (most likely) transplanted yuppies.

Quote:
or central Aurora
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Or you could live in Denver just to announce to everybody that you're an enlightened urban hipster and spend 45 minutes driving to work in the suburbs, like the Tech Center or Broomfield, where the jobs are. The freeway flows both directions, you know.
Good point.

Quote:
I don't even think California girls are so great. That's so... yesterday.
LOL! Girls are girls IMO.

Quote:
I think you could be on to something-- thinking out of the box! How many people, honestly, have met their loved one at a trendy bar?
Domino's Pizza!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,744,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrfromCali View Post
Have you noticed a lot of former Californian's when living in Denver?
Dude, you can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting one of us. Seriously!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
doesn't explain why the poster called Denver "veeeery conservative."
If he/she thinks Denver is so conservative, I'd like to know what OKC, Dallas, Mobile, etc. would be?

I'd have to say that someone who thinks Denver is extremely conservative doesn't know anything about Denver.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,078,177 times
In an effort to not repeat the same thing over and over, just do a quick search on my posts in the Denver forum. I go into detail about how we've really enjoyed living in the Denver area having moved here from NorCal almost 4 years ago.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 84,111 times
hi. I am a california native. After spending 4 years in new orleans, and then back to CA for 2, i decided to move to denver last november. I was attracted to it for the same reason everyone else is ( outdoorsy, great weather, affordable, cool city, etc...). I have been here almost a 1/2 year now. To be perfectly honest, I do not *Love* it. To me it lacks a lot of the charm, character, and culture that california had. I feel very suffocated not being able to take day trips to anywhere but another mountain town. I thought I would be skiing every weekend, but there is always a lot of traffic and its about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way for me. It makes it hard to want to waste 1/2 my weekend in the car.

I made the mistake of thinking denver was going to be a big city like LA, so i chose to live in Littleton as to escape the city. My idea of the suburbs being from california is very different than colorado suburbs. Downtown denver is small enough that you could easily find a place within denver city limits that would feel like a los angeles neighborhood. It really sucks being 12+ miles away from any cool restaurants or areas. I'm going to give it some more time, but i just am feeling not as fulfilled as I had hoped here in denver.

That being said, here are some of the great things about denver: Awesome people ( they dont get nicer than they are here). I actually love the weather here. its a nice change from the everyday 70's in california. It's definitely a growing city and you can see and feel the growth and energy. Unfortunately those things are not enough to make me stay, so i think this californian is going back home.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,036,316 times
Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I do not *Love* it. To me it lacks a lot of the charm, character, and culture that california had. I feel very suffocated not being able to take day trips to anywhere but another mountain town. I thought I would be skiing every weekend, but there is always a lot of traffic and its about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way for me.
You chose to live in an area that is 2 1/2 hours away - and then you *****. Seriously? Just this past Sunday I made if from downtown Denver at a 7:30 departure to Loveland in under an hour.

Quote:
but i just am feeling not as fulfilled as I had hoped here in denver.
Dude, you don't live in Denver. You live in Colorado.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM

86,895 posts, read 102,341,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
You chose to live in an area that is 2 1/2 hours away - and then you *****. Seriously? Just this past Sunday I made if from downtown Denver at a 7:30 departure to Loveland in under an hour.

Dude, you don't live in Denver. You live in Colorado.
Quote:
I made the mistake of thinking denver was going to be a big city like LA, so i chose to live in Littleton as to escape the city.
Littleton is 2 1/2 hrs from Denver? Walking, maybe.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,036,316 times
Kat, I suspect you just got off a series of 12 hour shifts. Read the thread. -Steve (jet lagged and ready to read this forum all damn night ... sigh).

Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

86,895 posts, read 102,341,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrfromCali View Post
Originally Posted by christiaan90040
And I do miss my California Girls. Denver women do not even hold a candle to the vibe, or the openminded women in So Cali

Makes Denver sound good for me. I mainly want to move out of California because I think that some California Girls can be very materialistic, stuck up, and actually very closed-minded. That's one reason why I'm looking to move out of state. I would like to find a nice, down to earth, super friendly girl. She doesn't need to be a super model, just a good person. Its really hard to find that in California.
If that is the main reason you want to move out of California, I'd suggest rethinking your move. If you don't like the girls in California, you won't like the ones here, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamboatannie953 View Post
Please don't make the mistake of moving to Seattle. We are trying to get out of here, we hate it here. We think Denver sounds nice too and that's where we are focused right now.
OK, I may get slammed for this, but. . . I frequent a number of forums and I am always amazed at the people who have heard that a place is nice, so they decide to move there. These are generally people who have never been in that particular city before, or have extremely limited experience there. Some people seem to move from city to city based on what they have heard, and then are unhappy. Do your research! And don't, I repeat don't, quit your day job in this economy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or