Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 17,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't have any direct experience dating Denver women, especially considering most of the women I know here are transplants.

But, I don't know what you find so open-minded about CA women. "California Girls" are the most close-minded bunch of them all, many of whom don't even give you the time of day if you don't meet their prerequisites concerning status. Race, income, and family, can be deal-breakers. The "California Girls" that I'm thinking you are referring to, are the fake-boobed out, sunglassed, made-up, tanned, BMW'ed chicks that are more concerned about owning the latest fashionable handbag above all else. Sure, they can be hot, but what fun/good are they if you can't have anything more than a meaningless superficial conversation with them? I've had "friends" like those women I just described, and believe me, if you are looking for fairweather and tentative, you'll find it with them. (I'm speaking about Greater LA here.)

Methinks you are right.
You nailed it David! That's exactly how girls are here. I'm trying to get away from that and its sounding like those girls moved to Denver. Sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:44 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrfromCali View Post
I'm not your typical Californian, I'm looking to get away from the California craziness, not live like it again.
That's what all us Californians said before moving here.

You won't get a break from the rat-race in Denver, or Seattle (especially) or Raleigh; you'll get big gulps of it daily.

The only way to escape the craziness is to move to a small-town. And, if you are like me, after living in a small-town for awhile, you'll be dying for some craziness.

Okay, you aren't "your typical Californian". Okay, so you don't live in Anaheim Hills, don't drive a Toyota Highlander, don't work in Irvine, don't live in a 90's-00's tract home, don't have 2.3 kids, a wife, and half a dog. Got it.

I'm not your "typical Californian" either. 'We was poor my whole life'. I'm a college dropout. I've never even came close to living near the Joneses', let alone kept up with them. I moved out here at the ripe old age of 23, and had little going for me besides a strong work ethic. I was one of those lower-class people that some people might only read about. I'm doing better now.

Come out to Denver (or Seattle/Raleigh), and immerse yourself in the place. Live in Denver, not the suburbs. Soak yourself in the city and the nearby mountains, and find out what living here is all about. Become a Coloradan.

Or, you could rent an apartment in Highlands Ranch, and spend 45 minutes driving to work in your car. Then, it'd be just like living in Orange County again! Yay!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:51 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
You nailed it David! That's exactly how girls are here. I'm trying to get away from that and its sounding like those girls moved to Denver. Sucks.
Yeah, but they mostly live/frequent the trendy 'hoods. You'll find them in LoDo, Highlands, etc. I don't think they are all CA'ians, but many women/people down towards downtown give off the same "I'm better than you" vibe.

I found my woman in a small CA town. What worked for me, was moving to a place that was the complete opposite of what my perfect place would be, i.e. I lived somewhere I hated. She's a native-CA girl too, but she's from the high desert; there's not much superficiality up there.

You need to meet a nice, boring (I mean this in a nice way), girl from somewhere like Thornton. That's it, that's the one.

Last edited by Count David; 04-04-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 03:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
You can paint the Front Range, excluding Colorado Springs, and the mountain resorts, blue. You can paint everywhere else red. Rural Colorado, like most rural places in the U.S. is vastly conservative/libertarian.
doesn't explain why the poster called Denver "veeeery conservative."

Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,873 times
Anyone from California recommend Denver?

HYMMMMMmmmmmm...maybe....maybe ..not.....eh

Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM

163 posts, read 576,827 times
Quote:
I'm single, 33 years old, and looking for a change of scenery, pace and lifestyle. I currently live in San Diego and grew up in Orange County, California. I'm considering moving, to Denver, Seattle or Raleigh N.Carolina. I've heard Denver is great for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, snow skiing, etc. I've also heard that the people are really down to earth and friendly. I'm wondering what's it like there? Has anyone moved there from California? What's your experience like living there? Do you like it? How would you compare it to Cali? How cold do the winters get and how is the weather in the summer?

Brent
Please don't make the mistake of moving to Seattle. We are trying to get out of here, we hate it here. We think Denver sounds nice too and that's where we are focused right now.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
doesn't explain why the poster called Denver "veeeery conservative."

It's the stereotype that seems to be a trend here on the Denver threads. People asking, "where is a good liberal place to live in Denver?" What does that mean? Who has been spreading the rumor that we here in Denver are conservative? I think people have the wrong impression. I happen to like that Denver is in a state that is considered "purple." That means that we judge people on their political platforms, not whether they have a "D" or an "R" after their name. It would be boring to live somewhere like Utah, where it's automatically assumed that there is no reason for a Democrat to run there, or Massachusetts where the same is true for a Republican. Surely even in a proven-to-be very conservative or liberal city, there will be at least a few people swimming against the tide.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
It's the stereotype that seems to be a trend here on the Denver threads. People asking, "where is a good liberal place to live in Denver?" What does that mean? Who has been spreading the rumor that we here in Denver are conservative? I think people have the wrong impression. I happen to like that Denver is in a state that is considered "purple." That means that we judge people on their political platforms, not whether they have a "D" or an "R" after their name. It would be boring to live somewhere like Utah, where it's automatically assumed that there is no reason for a Democrat to run there, or Massachusetts where the same is true for a Republican. Surely even in a proven-to-be very conservative or liberal city, there will be at least a few people swimming against the tide.
I agree. It made this last election very exciting! It was fun to live in a state that really made a difference.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Have you spent any time at all reading the Denver forum here? Half of the people on this forum are from California, currently live in California and are planning on moving to Denver, or lived in California at one point in time in their life. That even includes me (I'm from Denver, but have been going to USC for grad school the last 10 months ). SoCal to Denver is definitely not your own original idea.
I'm one of those to whom "Vegaspilgrim" is referring. I'm deep in the process of making the move from LA to Denver, and I couldn't be more pleased with my choice. I've been looking to pull up stakes for some time for much the same reason as you, and after considering Florida, Michigan, Chicago, and Atlanta (all places to which I have strong family or other ties), I decided that Denver was the best place for me, despite the fact that I know exactly two people there (one of whom I haven't seen in 25 years), and I'm not an outdoors-type (unless that means lounging on a deck chair in the sun, reading a book). If you knew me personally, you would know how strongly that attests to the strength of Denver's appeal: I DO NOT like the unfamiliar. If Denver is calling to you, go for it! My younger sister is about your age, and I remember the California in which she grew up very well. This ain't it!

Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiaan90040 View Post
I don't like it. I am from Woodland Hills, and plan on moving back to Los Angeles when the economy is better. Denver, for a city it's size is veeeery conservative.
And I do miss my California Girls. Denver women do not even hold a candle to the vibe, or the openminded women in So Cali
I could not be happier to hear you say this. I'm pretty sure that "open-minded," in nearly every connotation of the term, is largely responsible for the mess that CA has become. Give me a sensible, rational mind over an "open" (to all kinds of idiocy) one any day, please.

Edit: Just finished the thread, and since it seems to have taken a turn in a certain direction, I think need to clarify: I'm not referring to any kind of dating scenario; I was talking politics and lifestyle. I don't date women, and care not one iota about the openness of their minds or legs in that regard Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by katzenfreund; 04-04-2009 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver