U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 15,616 times

Advertisements

I'm single, 33 years old, and looking for a change of scenery, pace and lifestyle. I currently live in San Diego and grew up in Orange County, California. I'm considering moving, to Denver, Seattle or Raleigh N.Carolina. I've heard Denver is great for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, snow skiing, etc. I've also heard that the people are really down to earth and friendly. I'm wondering what's it like there? Has anyone moved there from California? What's your experience like living there? Do you like it? How would you compare it to Cali? How cold do the winters get and how is the weather in the summer?

Brent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,727,189 times
Have you spent any time at all reading the Denver forum here? Half of the people on this forum are from California, currently live in California and are planning on moving to Denver, or lived in California at one point in time in their life. That even includes me (I'm from Denver, but have been going to USC for grad school the last 10 months ). SoCal to Denver is definitely not your own original idea.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 PM

310 posts, read 1,096,743 times
I think the people in Denver are awesome. It has a very young, vibrant feel in certain parts. You still get that big city feel with the downtown areas and you've got the Rockies in your backyard. The winters are hit and miss. When it wants to snow, you can get 4 feet of the stuff, but you can go for weeks and weeks with nothing but blue skies in the winter too. It will be cool, though, and the climate is dry - much drier than Calif. It is a tad too windy sometimes. The summers can approach 100, but frequent summer rains cool things off. I like it.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 PM

48 posts, read 175,193 times
I just moved from Sacramento to just north of Denver last May and I wouldn't think of going back. Although I can't comment on the single life really as I am married with children.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,110,110 times
I am from Fresno, so not quite SD, but I have a sibling in SD, and have visited many times. I think the 2 are similar in that people are active and outdoorsy in both cities. Things you might not like or might have trouble adjusting to: the seasons. SD has one, Denver has 4. The weather here changes frequently and quickly. Today it was 62. tomorrow is supposed to be 30 with 6-10 inches of snow. That is very common. It is very dry here. We go through a lot of lotion, and my knuckles still crack and bleed. The landscaping is sparse and dry. In the winter, the lawns look dead and the only thing with any color are pines. Denver is not IN the mountains, it is next to them. It is on the high plains, which are pretty desolate looking. I actually really like it here, but the things I mentioned are the few things that bother me and/or that I find the most different from SD.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 15,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Have you spent any time at all reading the Denver forum here? Half of the people on this forum are from California, currently live in California and are planning on moving to Denver, or lived in California at one point in time in their life. That even includes me (I'm from Denver, but have been going to USC for grad school the last 10 months ). SoCal to Denver is definitely not your own original idea.
Have you noticed a lot of former Californian's when living in Denver?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 PM

795 posts, read 2,187,577 times
I am from Sacramento (originally SF, Oakland). Denver did not disappoint. Yes, there are other great places outside the golden state. Denver is certainly one of those places.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 PM

573 posts, read 2,286,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrfromCali View Post
Honestly, if you're in Denver and weren't born there, you're probably from California. I'm not one to broadly stereotype at all but yes, it's extremely common to say the least.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,727,189 times
Quote:
Yes. Especially in the south suburbs. Although not quite as many as on this forum-- this forum is really skewed towards the Californians for some reason.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:30 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,442,308 times
Quote:
I'm single, 33 years old, and looking for a change of scenery, pace and lifestyle. I currently live in San Diego and grew up in Orange County, California. I'm considering moving, to Denver, Seattle or Raleigh N.Carolina. I've heard Denver is great for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, snow skiing, etc. I've also heard that the people are really down to earth and friendly. I'm wondering what's it like there? Has anyone moved there from California? What's your experience like living there? Do you like it? How would you compare it to Cali? How cold do the winters get and how is the weather in the summer?

Brent
Talk about three different places.

Re: "People are really down to earth and friendly", I would say anything you hear about "people" should be taken with a grain of salt. You don't want to have too high of expectations for "people".

What is Denver like?
-Hmmm, why don't you come out and see?

Has anyone moved there from California?
-Yes, myself, and thousands of others.

What is your experience like living there?
-It's been good for me, for the most part.

Do you like it?
-Yes.

How would you compare it to California? (I refuse to call it "Cali")
-Denver is a lot like CA, if you stay in the suburbs. Denver has it's own character. Everything here is (for lack of a better term) nicer, including the ghettos.

How cold do the winters get?
-Much colder than SD/OC. But, you can get accustomed to it. We don't have the typical Midwestern/Northeastern winters. Our winters are more tentative.

How is the weather in the summer?
-Pretty varied. Sometimes it's in the upper 70's, other times it's in the upper 90's-low 100s. We get afternoon thunderstorms pretty often too.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but have you ever left California? Did you seriously think that there'd be no Californians here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or