U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,748,671 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Centennial on the west side of I-25. We've been very happy here, and we have not noticed any issues resulting from the patchwork of agencies. Police and Fire response times have been adequate, and while it's true that the county buildings are in Aurora, we didn't find the commute overwhelming when my husband and I were called for jury duty. I think it was 10 minutes tops. When we registered to vote, we drove into east Littleton. Again, a fairly quick drive. Our water tastes fine to me; however, I've never tasted Aurora water, so maybe there is a slight difference.

I like southeast Aurora, and I think it has lots of appeal for people working in the southern Tech Center. We chose our neighborhood in Centennial because of its proximity to work and walkable commute. I think you could be happy in either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 05:32 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,037,493 times
Quote:
Funny how steveindenver never fails to make it his business to tell people, "You don't live in Denver. You have no right to comment on the world renowned holy city and county Denver," (paraphrasing) over and over again but he feels no compunction in making comments about any of the suburbs even though he doesn't live there and doesn't know what he's talking about. This guy, who accuses others of living in "fantasia," is the one who lives in a fantasy world. I don't know where he gets the idea that everybody works in downtown Denver and makes drinking at bars on Colfax and Broadway their ultimate life pursuit. I don't personally know ANYBODY in any of the several neighborhoods I've lived in who commutes to downtown Denver every day. Most people I know in SE Aurora who commute work in either north Aurora or the Denver Tech Center/ south suburbs. The vast majority of the corporate jobs in the Denver metro area, both companies HQ'ed in the area and national/international firms with a presence in the metro area are located in either the south suburbs or the northwest corridor, not the city of Denver. It's mainly government, legal, professional service firms, some banks, and a small handful of corporations (most notably Qwest) that are located downtown. The most ideal suburban location in the south metro area is Greenwood Village, which is centered right in the middle of the job centers, in the attendance area of middle of CCSD's flagship Cherry Creek High School. But not everybody has three quarters of a million dollars on up to spend on a house or would want to spend that kind of money even if they had it, or wants the pretentiousness/ snobbery that goes along with those kinds of areas. Thus, places like southeast Aurora can be good practical options.
Didn't read past your first complaint.

No one is out to get you Vega, it is just that many of us have worked our asses off to not contribute to the stupidity that is most Suburbs. I'm not telling anyone where to live but I have a hard time swallowing the fact that I have to pay my tax dollars for the stupidity of others. If you choose to live in an area that is not sustainable and where you must drive for every facet of your life, that is your own choice. (funny that no one in the exurbs every mentions the total and COMPLETE lack of water in the next 10 years for the SE and S exurbs to future suckers who might buy there).

The unfortunate reality is that people like myself who are awake and hard working must suffer the consequences of those who are not and believe that they A. have a right to own a house, B. said house obviously must have a yard and C. the government must support this illusion by providing the same level of service no matter where it is.

Drive until you qualify for the fake American dream all you want, just don't drag me into it. Convince yourself that a 45 minute drive to Denver makes you a Denver resident all you want, but don't think that people who saved and compromised will ever accept that. You live in SE Aurora? You live in Colorado, you are about as much a Denver resident as someone in Ft Collins.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Didn't read past your first complaint.

No one is out to get you Vega, it is just that many of us have worked our asses off to not contribute to the stupidity that is most Suburbs. I'm not telling anyone where to live but I have a hard time swallowing the fact that I have to pay my tax dollars for the stupidity of others. If you choose to live in an area that is not sustainable and where you must drive for every facet of your life, that is your own choice. (funny that no one in the exurbs every mentions the total and COMPLETE lack of water in the next 10 years for the SE and S exurbs to future suckers who might buy there).

The unfortunate reality is that people like myself who are awake and hard working must suffer the consequences of those who are not and believe that they A. have a right to own a house, B. said house obviously must have a yard and C. the government must support this illusion by providing the same level of service no matter where it is.

Drive until you qualify for the fake American dream all you want, just don't drag me into it. Convince yourself that a 45 minute drive to Denver makes you a Denver resident all you want, but don't think that people who saved and compromised will ever accept that. You live in SE Aurora? You live in Colorado, you are about as much a Denver resident as someone in Ft Collins.
Steve, our family lives in the dreaded suburbs and walks, bikes, or takes light rail nearly everywhere we go. We have a postage stamp of a yard, and our water comes from Denver Water, just like yours. I don't tell people I live in the city of Denver, but I do consider our house to be in the Greater Denver Metro. And, what's the big deal about that anyway? One doesn't have to live in the city proper to lead a sustainable lifestyle. You CAN do it in the 'burbs. We are living proof.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM

21,863 posts, read 23,099,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Steve, our family lives in the dreaded suburbs and walks, bikes, or takes light rail nearly everywhere we go. We have a postage stamp of a yard, and our water comes from Denver Water, just like yours. I don't tell people I live in the city of Denver, but I do consider our house to be in the Greater Denver Metro. And, what's the big deal about that anyway? One doesn't have to live in the city proper to lead a sustainable lifestyle. You CAN do it in the 'burbs. We are living proof.
But you probably live a house, drive a CAR and even worse, maybe a non-hybrid car that holds more that 2 people. Do you bike to work?? If not, your carbon footprint is larger than steve's so you must be on the dark side...

Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But you probably live a house, drive a CAR and even worse, maybe a non-hybrid car that holds more that 2 people. Do you bike to work?? If not, your carbon footprint is larger than steve's so you must be on the dark side...
Single-family house, about 1500 sq. ft., much smaller than average for a family of four. One car, an older sedan, not a hybrid, that gets pretty good gas mileage and is used infrequently. My husband bikes or walks to work. The kids do the same for getting back and forth to school. And, again, we live in the evil, evil 'burbs!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Kids!? You have procreated and put more oxygen sucking, water using beings on this earth????

Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Oh, no, you're right! Hanging my head in shame now.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 PM

That's better! LOL...tried to rep you but must spread the love....

Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
...many of us have worked our asses off to not contribute to the stupidity that is most suburbs.
I don't follow you here. How exactly have you done that, Steve?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:20 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,601,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1962 View Post
We just moved to the SE Aurora area (and to Colorado), although our house is technically in Centennial (it is right on the border, practically). Our DD will be going to Smoky Hill HS next year and I've heard/read VERY good things about it. We looked at homes in the Saddle Rock area, but chose Piney Creek because it is closer to Parker Road, which makes it closer to the light rail station at 225 @ Parker for my DH. We love the area overall...in Saddle Rock, you'd be closer to Southlands, which is a really nice shopping area. Good luck with your decision!
Piney Creek is a VERY nice area...the homes there are more expensive than in my neighborhood. If they have the budget that I think they said ($400K) Piney Creek would be a good option. Plus, you're right by The Trails Rec Center which is excellent. It is only 10 minutes from my house, so even if you're in Piney Creek, you're close by Southlands and Park Meadows Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver