U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM

65 posts, read 195,489 times

Advertisements

Very interesting thread;
we're heading out to Aurora in February from Virginia Beach VA and are familiarizing ourselves with the area as much as we can now.

I've seen the term SouthEast Aurora mentioned quite a few times so I'm wondering. If you could split up Aurora into North, South, East, and West, which roads/streets would delineate Aurora (and Southeast Aurora)?

Hm Aurora Mall / Central Aurora: Which roads border that area? Just so we know to be wary of it when searching. thanks!

The job that my husband is transferring to is at East CentreTech Parkway. That looks like Northeast Aurora, judging from the Google map.

Also it sounds like 'green-living' is a big thing out in Colorado. There are quite a few discussions here which reference 'carbon footprint', for example. My husband has a 45 minute commute currently which is no fun. We intend to change that with the move to Aurora.

Also, which gyms would be worth investigating there in Aurora? We both enjoy aerobic/kickboxing/yoga/weight training classes.

Many thanks in advance!

DY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 11:10 PM

90 posts, read 338,365 times
SE Aurora is very beautiful with new development and a hip outdoor mall, but you are trapped in a toll zone that will donate your money to the state government every day you try to leave the area. For people who can afford it, it's a good place to live and it's peaceful and nice, IMO.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:43 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,312,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
Very interesting thread;
we're heading out to Aurora in February from Virginia Beach VA and are familiarizing ourselves with the area as much as we can now.

I've seen the term SouthEast Aurora mentioned quite a few times so I'm wondering. If you could split up Aurora into North, South, East, and West, which roads/streets would delineate Aurora (and Southeast Aurora)?

Hm Aurora Mall / Central Aurora: Which roads border that area? Just so we know to be wary of it when searching. thanks!

The job that my husband is transferring to is at East CentreTech Parkway. That looks like Northeast Aurora, judging from the Google map.

Also it sounds like 'green-living' is a big thing out in Colorado. There are quite a few discussions here which reference 'carbon footprint', for example. My husband has a 45 minute commute currently which is no fun. We intend to change that with the move to Aurora.

Also, which gyms would be worth investigating there in Aurora? We both enjoy aerobic/kickboxing/yoga/weight training classes.

Many thanks in advance!

DY
The Aurora Mall area is roughly bordered by Alameda, Chambers, Mississippi and I-225. It's not a bad area, just a place where there happen to be a lot of non-white people. I used to live just west of there, and the only thing missing from the area was pretentiousness.

In simpler terms IMO:

North Aurora - everything north of 1st Ave

Central Aurora - everything between 1st Ave and Iliff Ave.

South Aurora - everything between Iliff Ave and Quincy Ave.

SE Aurora - roughly corresponds to zips 80015 and 80016. Anything south of Quincy Ave, east of Parker Road, north of the Douglas county line and west of what resembles Kansas. Though, as an aside, the SE Aurora most people refer to here is the area around Smoky Hill Rd/E-470 and the Southlands Mall.

Centretech Pkwy could be considered Central Aurora, or East-Central Aurora. Not too far from City Hall and the courts and stuff.

I don't know what all the fuss is about carbon footprints -- if you have the money to support what others consider to be a 'ridiculous lifestyle', then, by all means, feel free to live your life as you please. It's just another one of those "I'm better than you, because" "keeping up with the Jones" things people like to argue about.

I am for a short commute, but don't do it based on the pressuring of other people. Do it because YOU want to.

I'm no fan of SE Aurora myself (the newer parts come off to me as a place where people that worry about impressing other people they don't really like live), but it's not a ridiculous commute to CentreTech, and even on the worst days won't take 45 minutes.

Nonetheless, go where you like, and enjoy your new Colorado life!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:16 PM

65 posts, read 195,489 times
Thanks cory and David. Much appreciated.
The reason I asked about the 'carbon footprint' thing is because I read references to the 'going green' slang in a few other threads, and during my interview in September that sort of thing came up just as part of conversation. So I was just curious.

My husband's current commute is about an hour. Been doing that for nearly 3 years and it sucks. 30 miles one way. So we am looking forward to a shorter commute; that way he can do something with his life besides drive to work and back. We live in Virginia Beach, but the job is in the middle of nowhere, just 1 stoplight north of North Carolina. We just chalked it up as a bad choice. Anyway. We're looking forward to changing that.

Also thanks for the info about the streets; we can get our bearings better with that information.

We are looking forward to heading out to Colorado. We've been on the East coast for almost 6 years, after being in Dallas for 8 years. Dallas is our favorite city, but we'll see how Denver pans out. We are confident we will be happier there than in Virginia Beach, for numerous reasons.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,267 times
Default Schools

I would suggest, in education standards, to strddle the aurora/ cherrycreek school distrits. Both schools in the area bost excelence, Like the HS of rangeview and Smoky hill are both excelent 5A schools. Also the aurora's Coloumbia middle school is always high in ranking with CSAPS and other tests. Though i would not suggest going farther north than this point because aurora is shifting there school zones to better accomadate their students.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:33 PM

2,697 posts, read 4,633,204 times
I lived in Aurora during grad school (CU-yes, I made that drive every day. I AM A CARBON SINNER!) because my wife worked in Aurora.

I really, really liked it. There are some areas that aren't so hot, like any major urban area, there are some really nice areas. If we ever moved back to the Denver metro, I'd be in Aurora in a hot second. Good place to live.

I DID get the second glance or dumb joke sometimes from people in Denver who asked where I lived and I said "Aurora," but I laughed it off and checked my bank account for the bigger balance every month because the rent was slightly more reasonable.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:41 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,597,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasYankee View Post
which roads/streets would delineate Aurora (and Southeast Aurora)?

Many thanks in advance!

DY
Hello from SE Aurora. When we say SE Aurora, it usually means getting off from the 470 (the dreaded toll road) on Smoky Hill Rd. There you will find Southlands Mall and pretty great neighborhoods surrounding it. Travel east and you will be in the Tallyn's Reach neighborhood. Travel west of the 470 and you will be close to Centennial passing by Saddle Rock Ridge (my neighborhood). You really can't go wrong in this area...very low crime, a good selection of homes and prices, a few apartment complexes, excellent school district, etc. This area is largely part of the "unincorporated Arapahoe County" area, though our addresses and property tax go to the city of Aurora.

The Tech Center is easily accessible via Arapahoe Rd (NOT the toll road). My primary care doctor is in the tech ctr and it takes 20 minutes to get there (my driveway to his office parking lot). Arapahoe Rd is a 3-lane, 45-50 mph road that has excellent traffic flow. Many neighbors work in the tech ctr.

As for the toll road, once you move out here, you'll find all of the ways AROUND it. My husband has to take it nearly every day to get to work at DIA, but for everything else (and I mean everything...shopping, getting downtown, going to the mountains, etc), you will find ways to avoid it. It's really not a big deal, especially if you work in the opposite direction of where the toll road will take you (your husband's work). Get a transponder for the toll road when you move out here and on the rare occassions when your husband is running REALLY late, he can have the toll road as an option. After a few months, you'll find all of the backroads.

Finally...there is an awesome fitness facility/community center called The Trails. There is a specific area that you have to live in in order to get a discount on classes and memberships for the Trails, but it's a fairly wide area they service. Very nice...part of the Arapahoe Country Parks & Rec Dept. Here's the link. Home

You can get a membership and enjoy working out or you can just sign up for classes (swimming, karate, gymnastics, kickboxing, yoga, art, music, etc).

Take a drive out this way and explore the area. I think you will like it...it's total suburbia (meaning most homes look the same), but it's a very family-friendly area that is primarily middle class and in a very good school district (meaning while home prices aren't going to skyrocket...they aren't going to crash either). School districts are a big selling point for homes and most good school districts coincide with low crime rates, so it's a win/win for you.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,073 times
Talking hi there!

Saddle Rock is a GREAT area. I don't live in that particular sub division but I know many that do. I think it would be a great choice for you and your family. The schools are excellent, and its a "real" community. You can never truly pick your neighbors, but I have found S.E. Aurora to be a very friendly area. I have only lived in S.E. Aurora for about 2 years, and would not change anything about it. Aurora gets a bad name (which is why everyone on this side of town puts the SE before the Aurora!), because it is a big city, and there are areas that are not so great there and a high crime rate, but where you are talking is NOT in that area. I think you will find just about everything is convenient to get to from Saddle Rock, or any of the subdivisions in that area. I think you will be impressed with the cleanliness of the area, the schools and the convenience. So good luck!! Just enjoy the new adventure you and your family will embark on!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:11 PM

345 posts, read 869,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
The Tech Center is easily accessible via Arapahoe Rd (NOT the toll road). My primary care doctor is in the tech ctr and it takes 20 minutes to get there (my driveway to his office parking lot). Arapahoe Rd is a 3-lane, 45-50 mph road that has excellent traffic flow. Many neighbors work in the tech ctr.
Outside of rush hour Arapahoe does flow decently. During rush hour (peak flow in the morning is to the dtc and evening is away from the dtc) traffic can be pretty brutal.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,597,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusmgm View Post
Outside of rush hour Arapahoe does flow decently. During rush hour (peak flow in the morning is to the dtc and evening is away from the dtc) traffic can be pretty brutal.
I've been up and down Arapahoe Road during rush hour, and I will have to respectfully disagree. "Brutal" to me means 10-20 minutes of standstill. Perhaps because I've lived in places where "rush hour" means endless sitting and staring at the car next to you because you aren't going anywhere, then inexplicably, traffic starts to move again for 1/2 mile, then you start to sit again. Arapahoe Rd does have traffic. You will have to sit at probably 2 or 3 lights but even then, the heaviest traffic I've been in was when it goes 40 mph and the speed limit is 50. If you're still moving, it's not "brutal"...at least not to me. Obviously a car accident or a stalled car will cause another headache, but I'm just talking about day-to-day travel on that road during "rush hour."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver