U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM

87 posts, read 313,193 times

Advertisements

My husband has been looking at houses and I will be flying out there the last week of April to finalize his selection and make an offer on a new home. We want to be in the Cherry Creek SD as we have two children. My husband has found several houses in Aurora in the CCSD that he really likes. The favorite is in the Saddle Rock Ridge area. Was just curious if anyone could give some input on the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:32 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,723,022 times
There's a poster here, The3Ds, who lives in Saddle Rock Ridge. I'm sure she will respond to this when she next logs in. In the meantime, I'd search the forum archives for her posts.

And take a look at my photo tour: Southeast Aurora photo tour.

If you want pure, modern middle-class (and even upper middle class in parts) suburbia with top quality schools and neighborhoods chock full of little kids and babies, with panoramic mountain views, SE Aurora is your place. If that's not what you're looking for... then I guess it's not for you.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,043,395 times
Suburban sprawl, falling housing prices, tons of unsold inventory.

If you are working near there the area makes sense, if you are driving until you qualify and working downtown the area makes less sense.

Assuming that all schools in the CC district are good is a mistake. Assuming that all schools in any district are good or bad is a mistake.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM

87 posts, read 313,193 times
The specific house that is the husband's favorite would go to Cherokee Trail HS, Thunder Ridge MS, and Antelope Ridge Elem. What's your take on those? I've heard good things about Smokey Hills HS which is also close enough to do an inter-district transfer if we wanted... don't know?

The last time I stepped foot in Colorado, i was in 6th grade... needless to say, that's been a while. I'm completely open to honest feedback good & bad. The single most important thing to me is my children's education. All else is secondary. My husband is fine with the commute he'll have... and I'm not sure where I'll be working as I am not going to look terribly hard until I know where we will be situated.

There is also a good chance that I may go to work for one of my manufacterers as a sales rep, which would be mainly stay at home with some light travel a few days a month outside the area anyway (I'm currently self employed with a woman's boutique, but will not be relocating my business).

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 AM

21,873 posts, read 23,160,111 times
Quote:
Suburban sprawl, falling housing prices, tons of unsold inventory
yeah yeah we get it....it's not urban so it's horrible bordering on pure evil.....yawn....

Quote:
Assuming that all schools in any district are good or bad is a mistake
that is very true....do your research.....I don't think any of the schools are "bad" but not every school is sitting on a pedestal with a glow about it just because it is in some specific school district.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:39 AM

156 posts, read 633,173 times
We just moved to the SE Aurora area (and to Colorado), although our house is technically in Centennial (it is right on the border, practically). Our DD will be going to Smoky Hill HS next year and I've heard/read VERY good things about it. We looked at homes in the Saddle Rock area, but chose Piney Creek because it is closer to Parker Road, which makes it closer to the light rail station at 225 @ Parker for my DH. We love the area overall...in Saddle Rock, you'd be closer to Southlands, which is a really nice shopping area. Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Funny how steveindenver never fails to make it his business to tell people, "You don't live in Denver. You have no right to comment on the world renowned holy city and county Denver," (paraphrasing) over and over again but he feels no compunction in making comments about any of the suburbs even though he doesn't live there and doesn't know what he's talking about. This guy, who accuses others of living in "fantasia," is the one who lives in a fantasy world. I don't know where he gets the idea that everybody works in downtown Denver and makes drinking at bars on Colfax and Broadway their ultimate life pursuit. I don't personally know ANYBODY in any of the several neighborhoods I've lived in who commutes to downtown Denver every day. Most people I know in SE Aurora who commute work in either north Aurora or the Denver Tech Center/ south suburbs. The vast majority of the corporate jobs in the Denver metro area, both companies HQ'ed in the area and national/international firms with a presence in the metro area are located in either the south suburbs or the northwest corridor, not the city of Denver. It's mainly government, legal, professional service firms, some banks, and a small handful of corporations (most notably Qwest) that are located downtown. The most ideal suburban location in the south metro area is Greenwood Village, which is centered right in the middle of the job centers, in the attendance area of middle of CCSD's flagship Cherry Creek High School. But not everybody has three quarters of a million dollars on up to spend on a house or would want to spend that kind of money even if they had it, or wants the pretentiousness/ snobbery that goes along with those kinds of areas. Thus, places like southeast Aurora can be good practical options.

ebeth79, I went to Smoky Hill HS, graduated 2004. Top quality school, top of the line academics (including IB program), fine arts, extracurricular activities, athletics, and also there's a lot of international diversity in the student body there. I would definitely recommend the school. Basically, think of any ivy league school or top ranked public or private university you can name, and I know at least one person, sometimes several from my graduating class at Smoky Hill that went to about just every one of them. I myself was the slacker, going to Arizona State (on a full ride merit scholarship though). Read some of my previous posts about Smoky Hill and Aurora in general.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,970,383 times
Can anyone comment on any differences between living in SE Aurora and Centennial? I know they're basically the same in terms of housing style, location, and school district. But what differences might there be in terms of city services, rules and regulations, and taxes? Also, given that many people hear "Aurora" and think "ghetto" without even bothering to look, how much does that affect the price of a home with an Aurora address vs an identical house across the street with a Centennial address? I'm referring to the Cherry Creek School District part of Aurora.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Can anyone comment on any differences between living in SE Aurora and Centennial? I know they're basically the same in terms of housing style, location, and school district. But what differences might there be in terms of city services, rules and regulations, and taxes? Also, given that many people hear "Aurora" and think "ghetto" without even bothering to look, how much does that affect the price of a home with an Aurora address vs an identical house across the street with a Centennial address? I'm referring to the Cherry Creek School District part of Aurora.
  • Different tax rates. You'd have to look this one up yourself.
  • Different water. Aurora has its own water supply and Aurora water, which originates from mountain streams is SUPERIOR in taste to the water in east Centennial (formerly unincorporated Arapahoe County), ECCV, which comes from acquifers and sometimes tastes like chemicals.
  • Rules, etc, are pretty much the same everywhere and depend on your individual HOA more than which city you live in.
  • Aurora is actually a very well managed city with excellent police, fire, library, parks & recreation services and children's and senior's activities. The city is run like a full service city.
  • Centennial is more or less a "virtual city." Services are not owned by the city, but rather are done through a patchwork of different county agencies. For example, it doesn't have its own police department, it contracts with the Arapahoe Sheriff (even though many of their police cars say "Centennial" on it). Centennial does not have a municipal justice system, that's all done through Arapahoe County. Pretty much the only thing Centennial does is planning and zoning. Arapahoe County services are also high quality though.
  • "Stigma"-- no, I really don't think so. Most of the people you read on these forums who keep bringing that up over and over again are people who have never been to Denver before who are just recapitulating what they heard somebody else say. I say do the research yourself, find several pairs of identical homes (such as same builder, such as Richmond Homes, probably the #1 biggest homebuilder in this part of town, same model home, etc) on the market and see if you find any trends. I doubt it. Keep in mind all of what is today the eastern part of "Centennial" had an Aurora mailing address until around year 2000 or so when "Centennial" was incorporated.

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 04-12-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,530,119 times
My son graduated from Smoky Hill High ( Laredo JH and Meadow Point Elem.)
He was in the IB program and is a professor at Johnson&Wales in Rhode Island.
I was a school bus driver in Cherry Creek for 7 years. It is a very nice area and, although it has changed a TON....I think you will love it there!
I recently went back to visit the area ( my son flew in for J&W and met up with a friend from HS)...I went and picked him up and drove to my old homes. Wow,....it has grown!!
I really think it will have all of the things in education you will need for your children. Welcome when you get to Colorado!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver