U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM

8,517 posts, read 18,484,439 times
Default Doors open Denver

Doors Open Denver

In 2009 Doors Open Denver will celebrate the local architects that have shaped Denver during a FREE two-day event that allows you to go behind the scenes of the city's significant architectural gems and lesser-known treasures.

Spend the day on a self-guided tour of both historic and modern buildings, register for an Expert Tour or embark on an Urban Adventure, a self-guided tour based on a theme. We hope you will join us for Doors Open Denver 2009!

Check out the list of participating sites, Expert Tours, Urban Adventures and special activities. Additional information is being added as details are confirmed, so check back again soon.

For more information, visit Doors Open Denver - Welcome Message

p.s. DenverAztec will do a follow up post of must sees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 AM

49 posts, read 100,969 times
this looks very cool, i'm gonna hit a tour on Saturday for sure.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM

195 posts, read 525,248 times
Default ..

Great idea for new residents....and old!

I saw it proclaimed to the city council yesterday on Denver Ch. 8. I feel so bad for the architects that are losing their jobs right now.

I'm thinking of going Sun. Free expert tours will be offered from Union Station!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM

1,517 posts, read 4,011,681 times
Arrow Recommendations!!

Big Thank you for remembering to post this 2beindenver!

I have gone to this for the past several years and would recommend those venues in red below as they are typically not open to the public and/of have wonderful interiors that are rarely seen or have a tour guide to explain them. Heck, even if you just take advantage of the free admission to the museums for the day, it is worth the effort.
  • 1770 Sherman Street Event Complex
  • Barth Hotel
  • Boettcher Concert Hall
  • Buell Theatre
  • Byers-Evans House Museum
  • Castle Marne Bed & Breakfast Inn
  • Daniels & Fisher Tower - top is only open to the public for this event.
  • East High School
  • Ellie Caulkins Opera House
  • Fairmount Cemetery: Ivy Chapel, Bailey Gate, Gate Lodge, Mausoleum - may not be standing too much longer due to structural damage from age and material used to build it.
  • Governor’s Residence at the Boettcher Mansion - Highly recommend checking out this mansion!
  • Grant-Humphreys Mansion
  • Highlands Masonic Temple
  • Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art - if you love Art Deco, this museum is a must!
  • Lannie’s Clocktower Cabaret at the D&F Tower
  • Masonic Temple
  • Molly Brown House Museum
  • Phipps Conference Center/University of Denver - if this includes the mansion, it is a must see.
  • Tears McFarlane House (Capitol Hill Community Center)
  • Trinity United Methodist Church - one of the oldest churches in Denver but among the grandest.
  • Zang Mansion

Last edited by DenverAztec; 04-14-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM

380 posts, read 807,840 times
Thanks for the information. I work those nights so my time is limited and I have to pick just a few. This helps allot!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM

2,370 posts, read 2,961,059 times
This sounds great..it's been a while since I have been in many of these places The most embarassing drunken wedding scene I have ever witnessed was at a friend's wedding reception at the Grant Humpheys Mansion.."that's a freaken story" that place is ruined for me forever..LOL..Saw a Daniels&Fisher residence several years ago..actually early 90's..pretty great views from every window.Probably one of the most unique condo spaces I have ever seen in Denver,
Might have felt kind of hunch-back strange living solo in a historic clock tower though, and the worst part would be downtown living without the infinity pool, and concierge..I'm going to try for Sunday..I'll be downtown doing my own loft tour of sorts anyway this weekend..Thanks for the info..

Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 AM

1,517 posts, read 4,011,681 times
Since our sun is back and looks like a beautiful day forming, thought I would bump up this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver