Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

We are moving from Houston to Denver and need some assistance with some questions we have with finding a place to rent to in SE Aurora

I will be working in the Fitzsimmons campus and my wife will be working in the Parker Adventist hospital. We are looking for a home to rent -that would be a reasonable commute for both of us. We have an infant and do not plan to stay in Denver for more than a year so school district is not a concern for us

1. I have noticed that I can get to Fitzsimmons either by 83- 225 or E 470 from the communities we are looking at . Can some one help me with the traffic on these roads. I have read that the toll on 470 is 5 $ one way . Is this true for any distance?

2. What would be some good areas for some areas for us to look at ?

I appreciate everyone's time and help in advance

Last edited by ROVING EYE; 04-18-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Just save yourself some trouble and live in South Aurora. Preferably along/near I-225 or Parker Rd (CO-83). Good areas aplenty along those stretches.

Zips 80015, 80014.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:38 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,300,647 times
There's at least a dozen threads about SE Aurora, including one from just a few days ago (which unfortunately got turned into a flame war). Read them.

Agree with David, 80015 would be an ideal location between the two workplaces. But really you could live anywhere in central Aurora, southeast Aurora and north/central Parker and it won't really matter, one or both of you will face traffic, it's just a matter of how you want to divvy it up between husband and wife.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,286 times
Avoid E470 given the highest tolls in the country. Above posts are correct, Aurora (all of it) is a solid choice.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Avoid E470 given the highest tolls in the country. Above posts are correct, Aurora (all of it) is a solid choice.
The only reason you'd have to take the toll road is if you were going to the airport. Everyone (and I mean everyone) in my neighborhood uses the "backroads" in order to get around. The backroads are mostly 3 lanes, each 45-55 mph and will take you all across town. My neighbor works at the DTC and takes Arapahoe Rd every day to work. The E-470 is a complete rip off but necessary sometimes when you're running late. Unfortunately, my husband has to take it every day (otherwise, it's another 20+ minutes to DIA using the backroads) so we budget $200 per month just for the tolls.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
The only reason you'd have to take the toll road is if you were going to the airport. Everyone (and I mean everyone) in my neighborhood uses the "backroads" in order to get around. The backroads are mostly 3 lanes, each 45-55 mph and will take you all across town. My neighbor works at the DTC and takes Arapahoe Rd every day to work. The E-470 is a complete rip off but necessary sometimes when you're running late. Unfortunately, my husband has to take it every day (otherwise, it's another 20+ minutes to DIA using the backroads) so we budget $200 per month just for the tolls.
Given the low utilization of the toll road, you'd think the geniuses that run it would cut the tolls. I bet if they cut the tolls in half, they'd more than double usage.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 AM

707 posts, read 1,844,955 times
Look at The Farm subdivision off Arapahoe Rd, just east of Parker Rd. You could take Parker Rd south to Parker Adventist and Parker Rd north/I-225 up to Fitz. You could also take E-470 on some days if you want (I liked to use the toll if I was in a hurry).

You can also look at the homes near Southlands shopping center...off/near Smoky Hill Rd. Then you can take Gun Club Rd up to Fitz, and then Gun Club south to Arapahoe to Parker Rd south to Adventist. E-470 is also an option there as well.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 AM

707 posts, read 1,844,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Given the low utilization of the toll road, you'd think the geniuses that run it would cut the tolls. I bet if they cut the tolls in half, they'd more than double usage.
That's the beauty of E-470 -- no traffic! Well worth the money when you are in a hurry IMO.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You're right but since that makes perfect sense, it won't happen. The Denver Post had an article a few weeks ago about how it's confusing for those who are not frequent users of the toll road now that they've done away with toll booths. Everyone has to have a transponder or access to the internet in order to pay on line. That's fine for those who aren't on vacation, but really just downright stupid for those who truly don't understand how to use it.

I haven't lived here long enough to understand why there is that lone toll road to begin with, but in a part of the country where toll roads aren't the norm, it seems kind of stupid. If they are waiting for it to pay for itself, they're going to be waiting a long time. I've been on the toll road during so-called rush hour and at most, there are 10 cars on it.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
We moved from California to SE Aurora last year. We are in a Golf Community called SaddleRock 4600 sq.ft. + 2400 sq. ft. basement for $2700. Overall, the SE area of Aurora is ideal! If you would consider staying a few years - you could take advantage of one of the top school districts (Cherry Creek) in the state! SaddleRock, Tallyn's Reach, Beacon's Point, The Farm and many other communities are nice. Centennial is also ideal for your commuting needs.

Your wife will probably end up taking the E470 to Parker Adventist. It is just more conveinient. We usually take it to go to the new Costco there. By the way - Parker is a really neat community as well. You may want to consider that.

I work near Fitzsimmons - but I ussually just take one of the streets (i.e., Tower Road, Chambers, Buckley, etc...) You can even take Gun Club up then go across to Fitz. Pick a SE Aurora adress - then use Google Maps to find easy directions.

*Note: Maps and GPS systems typically default to the E470 when asking directions - request "avoid highways" when using the map systems.

I hope this info helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver