U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,953 times

Advertisements

Hi All

My wife, 2 kids ( 2 & 1 YEAR OLD) and my self will be relocating to Denver later this year, from the UK. My work will be based downtown Denver near Union Station. We're looking to purchase a house and wondered if anyone could offer advice on the sort of family neighbourhoods we should be looking in. We've got about $600K to spend and are looking for a 4+ bed house, with a back yard. I don't mind a drive to the office of upto an hour.

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,879,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad33 View Post
Hi All

My wife, 2 kids ( 2 & 1 YEAR OLD) and my self will be relocating to Denver later this year, from the UK. My work will be based downtown Denver near Union Station. We're looking to purchase a house and wondered if anyone could offer advice on the sort of family neighbourhoods we should be looking in. We've got about $600K to spend and are looking for a 4+ bed house, with a back yard. I don't mind a drive to the office of upto an hour.

Many Thanks
You could live along the light rail lines that terminate at Union Station. The ride on the southeast line from Lincoln (southern end point) to Union Station is about 45 minutes. You could get quite a nice house for that price although there's no need to spend that much when nice houses are much less.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You could live along the light rail lines that terminate at Union Station. The ride on the southeast line from Lincoln (southern end point) to Union Station is about 45 minutes. You could get quite a nice house for that price although there's no need to spend that much when nice houses are much less.
Thanks for the quick reply, $600K is the top end, unfortunately at the moment I have no feel for what real estate costs. Obviously the less we can spend the better

Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad33 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, $600K is the top end, unfortunately at the moment I have no feel for what real estate costs. Obviously the less we can spend the better
Check out cohomefinder.com.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 PM

119 posts, read 413,094 times
Also check out realtor.com and realasave.com

You can pretty much choose where you want to live for that price, city or suburb, with some exceptions.

Schools are generally better in the suburbs but the homes and neighborhoods are usually more generic looking. It depends on what your interests are.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,439 times
Stapleton or Southmoor Park come to mind. Maybe even the areas surrounding Golden if you want to be closer to the hills.

I think you are nuts regarding the hour commute; why do that to yourself and your family - especially in a town where a 15 minute commute will take over an hour now and then as the result of weather.

Schools are good and bad all over. Don't fall into the suburban schools are always better trap and pay attention to the increasing lack of water outside of Denver proper in particular to the south.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:33 PM

291 posts, read 805,494 times
Don't worry about the water issue as that's only in Douglas County and Aurora. Buy anywhere that's served by Denver Water. Denver Water has a lot of water rights tied up.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bckr View Post
Don't worry about the water issue as that's only in Douglas County and Aurora. Buy anywhere that's served by Denver Water. Denver Water has a lot of water rights tied up.
What areas outside of Denver proper get water from Denver?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:24 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,672,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bckr View Post
Aurora may have issues, but water isn't one of them. Aurora has its own comprehensive water supply system, with its source in the mountains, with reservoirs and everything. Read up on it here: http://www.auroragov.org/AuroraGov/D...FactsResources. The rest of the state actually envies Aurora when it comes to water. Douglas County, which relies on acquifer sources should not even be in the same sentence with Aurora when it comes to water.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:39 PM

291 posts, read 805,494 times
Escape California,
There are many areas outside of Denver proper that get their water from Denver Water. In fact, starting on January 1, 2008, the Real Estate Commission came out with a new form disclosing the source of water to any prospective purchaser of property. There are more communites that get Denver Water than I could even mention let alone be aware of. Littleton comes to mind, as well as Ken Caryl Ranch, just because I live out in that section of town. Is there an area that you have a question about, because I could research that for you. As Vegaspilgrim mentioned, Douglas County gets most of their water from an acquifer. I'm glad to hear Aurora is doing better as I used to read that they were scrambling to lock up water supplies a few years ago during the drought. I remember driving through new home communities in Aurora where the yards were burned up because they had even tighter water restrictions than those imposed by Dener Water users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver