Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times

Advertisements

Some of our regulars and/or faves:

Blake St. Tavern
Breckenridge Brewery
Pasquinis in Highlands
Duo
Tacos Jaliscos
Patzcuaro's
Wazee Supper Club
Vita
Big Hoss
Osaka Sushi
Wasabi Sushi
Proto's
My Brother's Bar
Gelman's
Thai Basil
Mead St. Station
Highland Pacific
Venue
Vesta Dipping Grill
The 9th Door
Jax
Racine's
Le Asie

and on and on.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Has anybody tried the hot dogs at 16th and Arapahoe? I always see a line at lunch time?
You must mean Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dogs and yes, I've been there a few times. In fact, I went today. IMO, the best hot dogs in Denver. Really, they are more like sausages, but who cares. The dogs are all exotic meats such as elk, buffalo, reindeer, pheasant, wild board, etc. Today I had the German Veal Brat - delish. He'll serve the dogs with cream cheese and grilled onions, and has a load of other condiments you could add. It's best to avoid the lunch rush by going early or late.

Oh...as for my favorite restaurants...

Star Kitchen, 2917 W. Mississippi Ave - Serves Chinese Dim Sum 7 days a week. Best to go at 10:30am on a Saturday or Sunday.

Pho 95, 1002 S. Federal Blvd - In my experience, the best pho in Denver. Fresh flavorful broth, perfectly cooked noodles, and nice cuts of meat.

Los Carboncitos, 3757 Pecos St - My favorite tacos right now. I'm especially partial to the tacos al pastor. However, La Abeja, Tacos de Mexico, Tacos y Salsa and Tacos D.F. are very close behind.

Phoenician Kabob, 5709 E. Colfax Ave - Lebonese Mediterranean at its best. Try the baba ganoush - to die for!

M&Ds BBQ & Fish Palace, 2000 E. 28th Ave - Come hungry because M&D will fill you up with some of denver's best Q.

Cuba Cuba, 1173 Delaware St - Great Cuban food, fantastic mojitos.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-24-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
You must mean Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dogs and yes, I've been there a few times. In fact, I went today. IMO, the best hot dogs in Denver. Really, they are more like sausages, but who cares. The dogs are all exotic meats such as elk, buffalo, reindeer, pheasant, wild board, etc. Today I had the German Veal Brat - delish. He'll serve the dogs with cream cheese and grilled onions, and has a load of other condiments you could add. It's best to avoid the lunch rush by going early or late.

Oh...as for my favorite restaurants...

Star Kitchen, 2917 W. Mississippi Ave - Serves Chinese Dim Sum 7 days a week. Best to go at 10:30am on a Saturday or Sunday.

Pho 95, 1002 S. Federal Blvd - In my experience, the best pho in Denver. Fresh flavorful broth, perfectly cooked noodles, and nice cuts of meat.

Los Carboncitos, 3757 Pecos St - My favorite tacos right now. I'm especially partial to the tacos al pastor. However, La Abeja, Tacos de Mexico, Tacos y Salsa and Tacos D.F. are very close behind.

Phoenician Kabob, 5709 E. Colfax Ave - Lebonese Mediterranean at its best. Try the baba ganoush - to die for!

M&Ds BBQ & Fish Palace, 2000 E. 28th Ave - Come hungry because M&D will fill you up with some of denver's best Q.

Cuba Cuba, 1173 Delaware St - Great Cuban food, fantastic mojitos.
Thanks for the tip! I been meaning to try his grub out. I usually settle for the economical 2.50 hot dogs but I must treat myself to that 4.50 gourmet hot dog one of these days.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Went to a new bar/restaurant last night called Merle's - on Littleton Blvd on the north side near Santa Fe.

Great fries, nice fried green tomatoes. I heard the burgers are good. Nice Bartender name Brian.

Anyone want to go get some fries and a beer?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Foodie moving to Denver next month, and loving this thread. I'm sure I will refer to it often. Keep 'em coming!

Old 04-26-2009, 03:20 PM

369 posts, read 966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Has anybody tried the hot dogs at 16th and Arapahoe? I always see a line at lunch time?
That's Biker Jim and his dogs are awesome. Mainly because they're not just beef dogs, he's got bison, veal, elk, reindeer, boar, etc.

Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs | Biker Jim Knows His Weiners

Get 'em with caramelized onions and cream cheese - I know it sounds weird, but it's good stuff.

Plus he's a fun guy to talk to while you're waiting.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Daugie View Post
That sounds historical

Me's a big time phoenician/hittite/assyrian/carthaginian geek. Is this place anywhere close to the historical kabob or just a name?

Anyway, I haven't been here that long to assess, but here are some of my safe houses.

Il Formaio - Italian in the DTC, great food, I love see them cook and eat

Benedict's Restaurant - Arapahoe, the waffles are one of a kind. (Can I ever get a waffle maker anywhere? Please suggest)

Sahara Middle Eastern restaurant - Arapahoe again, first time I got the wrong item, tasted like craparoni, then I got it right.

Rio Grande - Lone Tree, I'm a nacho/salsa addict

Fox and Hound - Lone Tree

Thai Lotus - DTC, yosemite, they make great thai basil fried rice, and tofu fries.

Asian Shangai kitchen - not the best place, but wherever there's thai basil rice, there I will be, interestingly, I got thai basil beef to go one night, found some roaming coyotes in the DTC area late at night. To befriend them, I got off my car and opened the food box on the road. They had a blast. Bast***s didn't even tell me thanks.

Original Pancake House - DTC

Great Beginnings Cafe - Lincoln Avenue, Englewood. This is the first place I ever ate after landing in Denver. Sick of NYC, I found the friendly attitude of everyone here very encouraging/surprising. Noone in new york even bothers to chat to the food eater, even when it comes to table to table eater conversation. They make the best omelettes and pancakes.

I find Colorado folks extremely friendly. Maybe moving away from the north east makes America friendlier and friendlier.

I've been to several other places too. But these are the ones I have been to more than twice.

I hit into several Indian restaurants too. They all sucked. Perhaps my mother spoiled me with the best food on the planet. The Indian places never satisfy me, for I have tasted better ones and probably the best, growing up in my home

Old 04-26-2009, 05:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Sahara Middle Eastern restaurant - Arapahoe again, first time I got the wrong item, tasted like craparoni, then I got it right.
I've been going there for years, and have always had a good meal there. Sahara is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in the metro area. Also, Shiraz across the street is pretty good too.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I've been going there for years, and have always had a good meal there. Sahara is definitely one of my favorite restaurants in the metro area. Also, Shiraz across the street is pretty good too.
Vegas, do you live around here?

We should catch up, partner.

Is Shiraz the one with the Persian thing on Arapahoe?

I popped in a Friday night, and there was belly dancing. Food was great, the belly dancing scared the crappucino out of me

It was like Snow White's mom dancing

Old 04-26-2009, 06:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Vegas, do you live around here?

We should catch up, partner.

Is Shiraz the one with the Persian thing on Arapahoe?

I popped in a Friday night, and there was belly dancing. Food was great, the belly dancing scared the crappucino out of me

It was like Snow White's mom dancing
Yeah, Aurora/Centennial is my home, though as of the moment I'm in LA (for school), but in just 3 weeks from now I'm going to be back home. Though once I get a job and find my own place there's a good chance I'll end up living in a different part of town. Who knows how that's going to work out. I look forward to meeting you and some new people at the happy hour this summer.

Exactly, Shiraz serves Persian food. There's actually a ton of great places to eat along Arapahoe Rd tucked away in strip malls (Arapahoe Rd photo tour):

That's one cuisine I've always loved, and have been especially spoiled living in LA for the last year. I LOVE barbequed kabobs and that Persian rice where the bottom part of the pot gets burnt and cripsy. ...served with a grilled tomato.... mmmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver