Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM

369 posts, read 966,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
We were blessed with an energy boom in the eighties that saw something like 20 high-rises built in several years time.
That's the first time I've seen some refer to what happened to downtown during the 80s as a good thing

Usually people lament the destruction of the historic buildings being replaced with glass and steel towers. Something like "All of downtown would look like Larimer Square if only it hadn't been decimated!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post

As far as a new tallest I am not to optimistic. Tabor two is still on hold and is estimated at 612ft. There was once a trump tower planned at 715, one foot taller than republic one. But there really hasn't been any talk about a super tall or even new tallest. I think Hickenlooper and the city planners are really more concerned with the density of downtown, specifically residential high-rises which tend to add handsomely to a cities core in terms of foot traffic, new retail etc. I would like to see a new tallest but it may serve our city better to just keep adding 400-600 ft buildings.

I can see the value in that. A new tallest would be cool to see but until it happens (if ever) I am content to see the mid-rises continue. 4 Seasons and Spire are both viable examples. Two great residential towers that are going to really add to the area. Tabor 2 will be awesome it is ever built. Besides, at 714 feet, Republic Plaza is pretty impressive, even if is a really tall box.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM

369 posts, read 966,099 times
Also, this site is great at keeping tabs on what's going on downtown:

DenverInfill.com: Downtown Denver and Its Urban Infill and Redevelopment Projects

Block 162 is a big, gaping hole in the downtown scene. The link between the convention center, light rail, and the 16th mall should be much more inviting.

DenverInfill.com - Block 162

Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
All so very true DTown720! It is amazing what the new housing projects look like in the Five Points Area and those along Park Avenue, pic below. Additionally, the government housing projects in South Lincoln park are about to be similarly transformed with added places for businesses as there is a Fast Tracks station right there.

New Government/Low Income Housing:

Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
That's the first time I've seen some refer to what happened to downtown during the 80s as a good thing

Usually people lament the destruction of the historic buildings being replaced with glass and steel towers. Something like "All of downtown would look like Larimer Square if only it hadn't been decimated!"
Most of the destruction began happening with DURA in the 1960s through the 90s, but DURA also saved many of the buildings that are currently historic gems. We lost approximately 120 blocks of Victorian wearhouses in the Central Platt Valley, and scores of mansions in Capitol Hill due to owners walking away from the structures and then nature having its way with the foundations. The mansions could find no buyers for the actual home but the lots they sat on were of value to apartment building developers in the 60s and 70s. Thus, you have Capitol Hill with mansions and highrises mixed together.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
A significant amount for those in the burbs, but not so much for those of us within walking distance of downtown. Until Fast Tracks goes to the airport, I cannot use it, but I can use the next line to get to mom's, this will be the line going to Golden. Fast Tracks is still the most aggressive lightrail system in the country, most bigger cities already have one or are fighting development of it. Houstonians and Phonecians are known for fighting lightrails and this is reflected in the development of their downtown cores.

I would have loved it if we kept our trolley rails and cars. The cars use to cover not just downtown but they also went up and down Broadway and Colfax and to Park Hill, the Highlands and the Denver Country Club areas. Now all of that I would and could use daily!
Over 30 years time I saw how the DC Metro subway system totally changed everywhere it went; up sprang high rise condo's and offices and living near a line was the HOT ticket.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Over 30 years time I saw how the DC Metro subway system totally changed everywhere it went; up sprang high rise condo's and offices and living near a line was the HOT ticket.
This is happening along our routes as well. Tons of new apartments along I-25 and any area within walking distance of the current line. The homes and properties along 13th avenue heading west to Golden are being snatched up quickly as construction has been going on since last fall for the next new line. It is all exciting and looking forward to more development.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
This is happening along our routes as well. Tons of new apartments along I-25 and any area within walking distance of the current line. The homes and properties along 13th avenue heading west to Golden are being snatched up quickly as construction has been going on since last fall for the next new line. It is all exciting and looking forward to more development.
Good. From that, can we assume that as people move into the new denser areas that some other less dense areas around Denver are emptying out? Falling rents in those older areas might be one sign of the migration to the rails.

One thing we saw in the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia is that in areas anywhere near the Metro, the owners of close-in SFH's banded together, accumulating an entire square block of properties that were then sold to the high rise developers for 2-4 times the market price of their individual homes. The old housing stock (75 years old, or more in many cases) got scraped and up went a tall one.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM

DC is of course much older and our housing stock that is 75 to 150 years old is all near downtown. We lost one entire neighborhood, Auraria, to the campus - only one street remains - 9th street. Others will stay intact and are currently hot areas - LoHi, Baker, Capitol Hill, Curtis Park, Uptown. But what you are saying will probably happen and has to some degree with our old large shopping malls. Belmar and Buckingham are good examples of razing the old and building up instead of wide. Lowry and Staplenton are also examples of infill of old parts of town but this is more out of a need for density and desire to be close to the core then light rail. Denver is both blessed and unique that folks want to play and live downtown, but we still have space in the burbs for those who want a yard and huge house.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Changing gears here slightly, but same basic topic...

So I was at Petco Park last night to see the Rockies visit the Padres. If you've never been to Petco, it is surrounded by nice mid-rise hotels and mid-rise condos. Very appealing neighborhood...from a distance!

But as my wife and I walked back to our car after the game, the place was a ghost town! Unlike Coors Field and LoDo, Petco empties into a neighborhood with surprisingly few bars, shops and restaurants. The famed Gas Lamp District is a few blocks away. And I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the new residential buildings are no fuller this spring than they were last year when I was visiting Petco Park. Now I'm sure a lot of that is today's tough economy. These buildings are all pretty much complete, so development started in good times. But development in downtown San Diego has clearly outpaced the demand.

San Diego has a decent light rail, but the closest stop downtown to the ball park (and all these empty residential towers) is several blocks away.

To be fair, Petco is still brand spankin' new, so it will take time for the surrounding area to develop. But street level there right now is not that great. At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver