Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
...where summer really doesn't start until June 21st
Kind of like the rest of the northern hemisphere.

Seriously, I don't think anyone can favorably compare Indiana with Colorado. Weather in Colorado is arguably better; it's sunny here almost every day. Sure, the average winter temp is in the high 40s. (This isn't California or Florida.) Sunny and 48 beats cloudy and 48 which is often the fair comparison.

Now, the real metric as far as how snow affects your life is "snow on the ground days". Forty inches that melt in a day or two is not as bad as 25 inches that hang around because the sun never comes out to melt it. Last year was real rough. I think in Denver the "SOTGD" was something like 60 days - something like the second worst year ever??? Golf courses took a major hit last year.

There is no SAD in Colorado, the sun is out too much. People are out doing things, being active, enjoying life in January because it is sunny and in the high 40s on most days. Those things include jogging, cycling, BBQing (Yes, I know BBQ is a noun), tennis, hiking, and even outdoor basketball (which I did a lot of last year near Colorado Springs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Kind of like the rest of the northern hemisphere.

Seriously, I don't think anyone can favorably compare Indiana with Colorado. Weather in Colorado is arguably better; it's sunny here almost every day. Sure, the average winter temp is in the high 40s. (This isn't California or Florida.) Sunny and 48 beats cloudy and 48 which is often the fair comparison.

Now, the real metric as far as how snow affects your life is "snow on the ground days". Forty inches that melt in a day or two is not as bad as 25 inches that hang around because the sun never comes out to melt it. Last year was real rough. I think in Denver the "SOTGD" was something like 60 days - something like the second worst year ever??? Golf courses took a major hit last year.

There is no SAD in Colorado, the sun is out too much. People are out doing things, being active, enjoying life in January because it is sunny and in the high 40s on most days. Those things include jogging, cycling, BBQing (Yes, I know BBQ is a noun), tennis, hiking, and even outdoor basketball (which I did a lot of last year near Colorado Springs).
I never said Indiana's weather was better, I think Indiana's weather blows. The cloudy day outnumber the sunny days. I'm also from Southern Indiana where it's not quite as bad as it is up north in the winter. I just don't think I would like any 45 degree days (or lower) in June. And as for the snow thing... it's the same way here. It snows and it's gone by the next day. I think it was 04 we had a huge blizzard like 22 inches on a Tuesday night/early Wednsday and it was totally gone by Friday afternoon. Is it really true that the dryness makes it not feel as cold? I usually play outdoor basketball or touch football when it's above 40-45 but anything below that--especially if there is wind is too miserable.

Are golf courses open year-round in Denver?

Last edited by BSL63087; 08-19-2007 at 04:25 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Quote:
Yup. Golf is a huge sport here. Tons of golf courses both private and public. Gofers buy these colored balls to paly in the snow - you know bright pink, orange, green, blue, violet - like at the mini golf.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:31 PM

The dryness effect is real. It does feel not as cold when it is dry. I was literally sweating in shorts and no shirt on my deck and the temp was 53F last February. No wind. Lots of radiant sunshine. No exaggeration.

I moved from LA in June 2006. The weather in Colorado is not as "good" but we're talking a transition from A+ to B+. I'll take the weather here for the ease of living. Plus, I like four seasons. LA is always nice. Colorado is nice and it is also fun and interesting. No humidity. No bugs. Occasional cooling afternoon (and extremely interesting and fun to watch) thunderstorms for a few weeks in July and August.

Quote:
I'm not really sure...I would think it is hit and miss. This is about all I know.

Last edited by Charles; 08-19-2007 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Quote:

I gave Denver a thought to move to but it's just too cold for me. I already don't like the cold here in Southern Indiana and Denver is a little worse IMO. I prefer it to be hot than cold. It has been over 90 and into the 100s the past few weeks here and I have played golf 3 or 4 times in it and have been outside a lot and didn't have any problems...
BSL,

Then don't let anyone here talk you into coming to Colorado. If you love heat, and hate cold, Denver is NOT your ideal climate. There are plenty of places in this country with all the heat you can handle.

I think the people who like Denver's climate tend to dislike the the heat and humidity and actually look forward to a little bit of snow in the winter. Sounds like that isn't you.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:10 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
BSL,

Then don't let anyone here talk you into coming to Colorado. If you love heat, and hate cold, Denver is NOT your ideal climate. There are plenty of places in this country with all the heat you can handle.

I think the people who like Denver's climate tend to dislike the the heat and humidity and actually look forward to a little bit of snow in the winter. Sounds like that isn't you.
I'm just trying to figure out if I could tolorate Denver or not. The winters here are usually cold, gray, and gloomy and you feel like not doing anything other than sit on your couch. The cloudy days around here literally outnumber the sunny or even partly cloudy days. I don't think I'm really much of a winter person and I guess I'm basically just wanting to eliminate Denver as a choice to relocate to. I'm almost set on the Dallas area but I always have people tell me it's not a nice place to live... too hot, high crime, ugly as far as scenery... When I visited I found it to be great so I don't know if I should just quit listening to other people or if there's something I'm missing about it. It had everything I want in a city (outside of mountains which I can live without) and while the weather obviously isn't perfect, it seems like it suits me best. I'm from the midwest/south I guess so I'm used to the humidity and it does get extremely hot here at times and I seem to do fine with it. I like how the winter in Dallas is short and not at all extreme in any way.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out if I could tolorate Denver or not. The winters here are usually cold, gray, and gloomy and you feel like not doing anything other than sit on your couch. The cloudy days around here literally outnumber the sunny or even partly cloudy days. I don't think I'm really much of a winter person and I guess I'm basically just wanting to eliminate Denver as a choice to relocate to. I'm almost set on the Dallas area but I always have people tell me it's not a nice place to live... too hot, high crime, ugly as far as scenery... When I visited I found it to be great so I don't know if I should just quit listening to other people or if there's something I'm missing about it. It had everything I want in a city (outside of mountains which I can live without) and while the weather obviously isn't perfect, it seems like it suits me best. I'm from the midwest/south I guess so I'm used to the humidity and it does get extremely hot here at times and I seem to do fine with it. I like how the winter in Dallas is short and not at all extreme in any way.

If you are single AND in an upwardly moving profession AND you don't care about schools AND you aren't buying (and that might be removed as a requirement with the dynamic housing situation), THEN consider LA, OC, the south bay, Redondo, Santa Monica, Hermosa. Beaches, Jobs, great atmosphere for singles, fun things to do, weekend trips, parties.

Fun.

I did it.

Last edited by Charles; 08-20-2007 at 06:17 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 06:11 PM

81 posts, read 261,862 times
Quote:
Go to the Dallas forum. trust me, they will talk you into moving to Dallas.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM

106 posts, read 431,792 times
I can't say if you can or can't deal with the weather here in Colorado, but I can tell you being a Native Southern Californian, I have no problems with this weather. We live a bit north of Denver and our snow is lighter up here, and as a general rule Colorado is one of the sunniest places in the US (over 300 days of sunshine). It sounds strange but in the middle of winter with the sun shining at it being 35, it actually feels warm.

I do wish we had a little more humidity though, but I personally can't stand high humidity.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM

226 posts, read 1,219,767 times
i moved here from florida some years ago. winter is my least favorite season. it gets miserably cold at times and the snow is not fun at all. it would be ok if you didn't have to drive in it. traffic slows to a crawl and driving can be a harrowing experience. your car will be coated in dirt and gravel and the snow on the roads will turn into a brown slushy mess. fortunately, the snow doesn't stick around for too long after a snowfall.

scraping ice and snow off your windshield is time consuming and sucks when you just want to get in your car and get warm. it can take several minutes for your car to heat up to a comfortable level. be careful when using windshield wiper fluid. if your windshield hasn't warmed up enough, the fluid will freeze to it and obscure your vision.

it's not all bad. fresh snow is very pretty, especially at night when it is illuminated by the street lights. the foothills are really pretty, too, on a clear day after a snowstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver