U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,539 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Denver. All of the listings we see indicate Denver NW, SW, SE, etc. Can someone please let me know which area of Denver has the highest crime rate, and which ones would be best to raise elementary school-aged children? I am a teacher, and would relocate and teach in the area. Affordability and decency of area are my primary factors. Also, is there a Chinese community in Denver, and where is it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:59 PM

128 posts, read 274,630 times
This forum has a great search engine Topic has been addressed a bajillion times, here's what came up when I searched for "crime rates" in the Denver forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=12818085

Check the "Relocation Questions" thread that comes up in those results, I posted a link to the Denver police's website that has crime maps of the different areas. Also towards the end is a summary that basically says most of Denver is quite safe but there are a few hot spots. Most of the crime is property or vehicle related, not really violent crime...but it does happen and it does travel.

As for schools, I don't have kids so I can't say firsthand but there are also a ton of threads on that subject too What exactly is affordable for you? This will help anyone else chiming in be more specific in what areas to look at.

A Chinese community? No clue...

Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 AM

4,931 posts, read 8,804,991 times
The Asian Community in Denver is centered around Federal and Alameda in Southwest Denver. It includes mostly Vietnamese and Laotian. This would also be the center of the smaller Chinese Community. There has been a significant growth of Asians in Aurora, notably Korean, along Havana and South Parker Road. Japanese have a much longer presence in Colorado with a community just north of Downtown but also in the farming areas north of Denver, as they have contributed much to Colorado Agriculture.

For Information on the Chinese Community I would suggest looking at the Colorado Chinese News 主页 and with the current issue online 页标题 you can easily find this information.
Call the paper. The info is on the first page in English, under the masthead.

It is published by a fine Chinese Family in Denver and you can get information from them. Her is an article about this family
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/st...18/focus2.html

This family is also the publisher of The Asian Pacific Journal, in English
http://www.cocnews.com/ALL%20PAGES/Asian%20Pacific%201-4.swf (broken link)

As the previous poster said, Denver does not have real high crime areas, comparable to some other bigger cities. Denver is a relatively safe city.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-15-2009 at 01:19 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 PM

I did forget to mention that the Colorado Chinese News 页标题 is a great paper just to page through and look at the advertisements. You do not have to understand Chinese to see the good pictures and the addresses of all the businesses are in English. The paper includes all Asian Businesses, Shops and Restaurants. You will see Ads from Japanese, Vietnamese, Laotian, Korean and Thai; as well as Chinese. It has good information about Asian Social events and organizations. It is good newspaper to become familiar with our Asian Community in Denver.

Enjoy, Celebrate our differences and
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-15-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 01:01 AM

119 posts, read 302,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Japanese have a much longer presence in Colorado with a community just north of Downtown but also in the farming areas north of Denver, as they have contributed much to Colorado Agriculture.
Livecontent
What specific areas north of downtown are you referring to?

Old 05-16-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPacker View Post
What specific areas north of downtown are you referring to?
I am referring to Sakura Square http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakura_Square which is right north of Downtown Denver on 19th and Lawrence to Larimer--well, I have been here for many decades and for me it was always just north of Downtown but of course, today with the growth of Downtown to the north, it would be considered in Downtown.

It has a Buddhist Temple TSDBT a 20 story high rise housing that has predominate Japanese residents, Tamai Towers, Residents A number of shops, like The Pacific Mercantile Asian Food, Japanese Food, Japanese Gifts and a Japanese Garden.

Every year it has a Cherry Blossum Festival in June. Go, it is a great experience Cherry Blossom Festival
Be sure to go on the tour of the Buddhist Temple and get some Japanese food in the basement, cooked by the members.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-16-2009 at 01:57 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 PM

128 posts, read 274,630 times
Thanks for the info live...my gf and I love Asian food (not so much Chinese compared to Thai or Japanese) and this may help us find some good places to buy ingredients or eat at. Not to mention I've always been fascinated with Asian history and architecture.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM

65 posts, read 135,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The Asian Community in Denver is centered around Federal and Alameda in Southwest Denver. It includes mostly Vietnamese and Laotian. This would also be the center of the smaller Chinese Community. There has been a significant growth of Asians in Aurora, notably Korean, along Havana and South Parker Road. Japanese have a much longer presence in Colorado with a community just north of Downtown but also in the farming areas north of Denver, as they have contributed much to Colorado Agriculture.

For Information on the Chinese Community I would suggest looking at the Colorado Chinese News 主页 and with the current issue online 页标题 you can easily find this information.
Call the paper. The info is on the first page in English, under the masthead.

It is published by a fine Chinese Family in Denver and you can get information from them. Her is an article about this family
Chao knows the news of Denver's Chinese population - Denver Business Journal:

This family is also the publisher of The Asian Pacific Journal, in English
http://www.cocnews.com/ALL%20PAGES/Asian%20Pacific%201-4.swf (broken link)

As the previous poster said, Denver does not have real high crime areas, comparable to some other bigger cities. Denver is a relatively safe city.

Livecontent
There are at least two Korean churches in Park Hill. At least, it looks Korean on the signs. I therefore assert that there is a Korean community in Park Hill.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmur View Post
There are at least two Korean churches in Park Hill. At least, it looks Korean on the signs. I therefore assert that there is a Korean community in Park Hill.
Yes, there are many ethnic churches all over the area. I live two blocks away from Simpson United Methodist Church which was started by a Japanese community and has still very strong traditions of their roots. Simpson United Methodist Church The building is a very attractive Japanese style building. Every year, I go there to get some good Japanese food at their festival.

I have seen many Korean Churches all over the area. There is one on Kipling in Arvada.

The largest Vietnamese Catholic church is on Harlen in Wheat Ridge. It has a very large community building.Queen of Vietnamese Martyrs Parish

I am now starting to see many Russian Ethnic Churches in the area.

As an atheist, I like to keep track where all these churches are located. I go to them to get some good ethnic food at the different events, very good prices and many times free.

Why not???? They are happy that they can preach to me; and I am happy that I can eat well. I listen; I take the literature, and then I go back for seconds. Another way to
Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver