U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-16-2009, 09:43 AM

13 posts, read 30,403 times
Default DPS schools

Hey All! We are living in NW Denver and we love our neighborhood. We have a 4 and a 3 year old and right now have many reservations about sending them to our neighborhood school - Centennial. We know that a lot of work has been put into Brown Elementary, but we worry that Lake Middle School will not be an acceptable choice - even in 5-10 years. We also don't like the feel of Edison Elementary which prides itself on its Gifted and Talented program, but seems to fall short in many other areas. So we are left with a few options......trying to choice our children into another DPS school (kind of unlikely, as my first choice which is Teller did not take any students from their choice list this year, and other choices like Carson, Cory, and Slavens are even more well known), trying to get into The Odyssey School off the lottery list (also pretty slim odds) or moving to a new neighborhood. If we move we would prefer to be in a neighborhood with a K-8 school. So.....does anyone have some feedback for us about Park Hill K-8 or Bill Roberts K-8. Park Hill is not rated very highly, but I know not to judge a school based on its rating. I just wonder why the numbers of students in 6-8 seems so small. And I assume Roberts is a pretty good option b/c it is in Stapleton which seems to be put an emphasis on their schools. Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-16-2009, 10:09 AM

119 posts, read 276,873 times
What are other families with kids in NW Denver doing for their children's schools? My biggest fear with the schools in this part of town is the negative influences within the buildings. This would be my biggest concern. I think a child's education is based as much on their parents as their school/teachers until they reach a certain age. Since you are this concerned, I can't imagine you aren't involved with your kids' education when they come home. For this reason, I think you'll be fine up until at least middle school.

I know the city is trying to put a lot of money into rehabbing North HS. It will be interesting to see what happens with North. From what I heard, East HS was in a similar situation not too long ago.

I posted in another thread last night that there are alternatives in the NW suburbs. I've heard good things about Wheat Ridge HS and although Adams 50 doesn't have a great reputation they are changing things drastically. Adams 50 is consolidating their schools and building one large high school on 68th & Utica St. They are also changing their educational approach and grading system.
This might be an easier alternative to moving.

Unread 05-16-2009, 10:36 AM

13 posts, read 30,403 times
Many other families are choosing Brown, Valdez, Edison, and Sandoval, with the hopes that North is going to improve. There are a lot of great things being said about DCIS which serves 6-12, but it is a magnet school and will become increasingly popular since many NW Denver parents already have their eyes on it. I was a DPS teacher for 4 years before having my children and I have always favored East HS. As an educator I would love to put my faith and energy into improving North, and believe that it has potential for greatness, but as a parent I am thinking selfishly and I am not sure I am willing to take the risk. I also have daughters and know that once they make it to middle school I better make sure the feeder high school is a solid one b/c it will b a battle to have them leave their friends.

Thanks for the suggestion on the NW suburb schools. We have neighbors that sent their daughters to Wheat Ridge HS and are very happy they did.

Unread 05-16-2009, 11:08 AM

65,542 posts, read 51,899,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPacker View Post
What are other families with kids in NW Denver doing for their children's schools? My biggest fear with the schools in this part of town is the negative influences within the buildings. This would be my biggest concern. I think a child's education is based as much on their parents as their school/teachers until they reach a certain age. Since you are this concerned, I can't imagine you aren't involved with your kids' education when they come home. For this reason, I think you'll be fine up until at least middle school.

I know the city is trying to put a lot of money into rehabbing North HS. It will be interesting to see what happens with North. From what I heard, East HS was in a similar situation not too long ago.

I posted in another thread last night that there are alternatives in the NW suburbs. I've heard good things about Wheat Ridge HS and although Adams 50 doesn't have a great reputation they are changing things drastically. Adams 50 is consolidating their schools and building one large high school on 68th & Utica St. They are also changing their educational approach and grading system.
This might be an easier alternative to moving.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you suggesting open-enrolling to WR High or an Adams 50 school? As some have said, that is not something to count on, especially out of district (district students generally get first choice). Some friends of ours who lived in that area sent their son to Lutheran High, which is sort of SW Denver. Private school is always an option for people who don't want to move.

East High has been highly regarded the 29 years we have lived here in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver