U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 AM

1,991 posts, read 2,255,158 times
Default Denver Rush Hour Traffic

I want to compare traffic in various cities in standardized (non-subjective) terms. I'm interested in how long does it take to get (strictly on the interstates) from 10 miles outside the downtown core to the downtown core in the morning rush hour traffic and from the downtown core to 10 miles outside the downtown core in the evening rush hour traffic. If I can find out what 10 mile times are, traffic comparisons become EASY and less subjective. I can easily know where 10 miles is by either my odometer or by exit numbers, which have become standardized to be mile-based. And in fact, it might be feasible for some people to do 15 mile rush hour times. Is anybody willing to participate in a little traffic experiement and observe Denver's 10 mile or 15 mile rush hour driving times?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 PM

8,585 posts, read 18,727,491 times
ok - in Denver if you are 10 miles due east of downtown - you have to go through it to get to the highway.

It only makes sense to use the highway if you are northwest, west, or south of downtown.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 PM

69,129 posts, read 58,222,176 times
Thank G**, I don't drive in rush hour traffic in Denver. We were there today (for DD's graduation from the Health Science Center) and traffic was awful on I-25 at 3 PM! I mean seriously backed up from where we got on at University, all the way north to 36. Fortunately, we could use the HOV lane.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 4,044,637 times
I am basically in the core and have to drive out slightly over ten mile on occasion to some of our offices. I have to be there at 8:00 am for meetings. Southeast along Speer to Leetsdale to Aurora can take 25 minutes with heavy traffic. Northwest to the Westminster Mall area takes almost exactly the same. This is because I am heading in the opposite direction of traffic. Heading west on 6th Ave to C-470 is a breeze in the morning.

Now in the opposite directions, it is a different story as you need to consider the lack of a highway or travel through the busiest intersections of town. I hit Universtiy/1st, Colorado/Alameda and Monaco/Leetsdale, three of the busiest and more dangerous intersections. In viewing the traffic, these are always congested but moving. North and South bound on the highways are the same, congested but moving. I can only tell you what I see and I refuse to subject myself to driving in those directions during rush hours. Denver traffic is mild compared to cities our size or larger, mostly because of Fast Tracks and great bus service. It is only going to improve with more rail lines and the next to go in is Golden to Denver.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:28 AM

17,193 posts, read 23,775,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank G**, I don't drive in rush hour traffic in Denver. We were there today (for DD's graduation from the Health Science Center) and traffic was awful on I-25 at 3 PM! I mean seriously backed up from where we got on at University, all the way north to 36. Fortunately, we could use the HOV lane.
Probably has TBE on a Friday afternoon of a 3-day holiday weekend.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 AM

69,129 posts, read 58,222,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Probably has TBE on a Friday afternoon of a 3-day holiday weekend.
Yes, and DD said the Denver city workers were on a furlough day, too. But seriously, it was wicked!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Fridays are different as traffic hour can start at lunch time. Just because it is Friday the folks leave work early to get on with the weekend. It really doesn't get better as those in the burbs come down for shows, dinner or sporting events during supper time and then the rush for the club life around 10 -11.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,666,507 times
It can get equally bad heading south I-25 when you get close to Park Meadows mall/470 around 5pm. At 4 or 6pm which is when I usually commute, it's about 25minutes.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 AM

250 posts, read 691,221 times
If you live within in the city and are going somewhere not related to the suburbs, there really is no rush hour. Using small back streets is always preferable in Denver in my humble opinion. However if you are trying to go south on I25 - you might as well expect to just sit there. I think Highway 6 to Golden can be bad too. So, in other words, if you are trying to get into the city in the morning and out to the suburbs at night you will see traffic. If you live in the city and are trying to get out in the morning and back into the city at night you should be fine. I 25 south always seems the worst to me at the end of the work day.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM

I left from my condo downtown at 4:00 this past Wednesday and headed for County Line Road and Quebec. I debated taking I-25 but figured I could start out on it and then jump off it it gets ugly. Smoooth sailing all the way and less then 30 minutes to get to my destination. Could have been one of those rare lucky moments but it was nice to experience. Yes, it was before 5:00 and that could make a world of difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver