Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM

14 posts, read 58,920 times

Advertisements

I personally don't think that Colorado drivers are bad drivers... they're just fast drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:40 AM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCoGuy View Post
I personally don't think that Colorado drivers are bad drivers... they're just fast drivers.
And I think drivers who do not follow the rules and cannot read speed limit signs, don't have enough sense to slow down below the speed limit when there is poor visibility, slick etc ARE BAD DRIVERS . When they hurt someone because of speed then they are convicts.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
We came to CO from the DC area, northern VA. Drivers there are much worse, its the crowding...

When it snowed there, we saw the same behavior, that old "got a 4x4 so I'm invincible." Saw lots of them stuck on the shoulder and with their high center of gravity, many flipped over too.

My experience with driving around Denver tells me under normal conditions, those folks are a LOT nicer than the DC drivers. When this newbie finds himself in the wrong lane, Denver drivers will let you merge over politely, not so back east. I find myself in the wrong lane sometimes as the signage is not good as to which side of the road one needs in order to access I-25 from a local street...sometimes its a left turn, sometimes its a right turn....and you get almost no advance warning as to which side of the street you need to be on. So far, Denver drivers have proven themselves a breath of fresh air compared to the hatefulness back in the DC area.

s/Mike from back east...and I damned sure ain't going back

Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 PM

18 posts, read 122,952 times
Mike,

As somebody who just moved here from DC (Northern Virginia), I wholeheartedly agree with you. I stay out of these discussions about bad Denver drivers and traffic, because for us it is a breath of fresh air. The traffic, roads, and drivers here are much better than in DC, so I haven't noticed it being bad here in Denver. Having also spent many years in Dallas and Houston, I can say they are also worse than Denver in most cases.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
mike from back east and rburtoncpa: you guys are generally correct; I've driven around DC and it is AWFUL! However, that is not the whole issue. The issue, IMO, is how people are driving around here. Posted some of my examples on another thread, either Colorado or Denver. And signage is TERRIBLE. I also posted on that, but to review: use of "this right" and "next right" is not consistent on limited access roads. Sometimes "next right" means the exit coming up, sometimes it means the one after. Also, lots of left exits and drivers who don't want to let you over to get on them.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM

127 posts, read 434,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, there are plenty of aggressive drivers everywhere (more of our self-centered hedonistic mindset showing through), but the Front Range does exhibit some of the worst anywhere. A lot of people blame the congested roads, but Front Range drivers tend to be aggressive even when they drive out in the sticks.

The other factor is lack of enforcement. The number of State Troopers on the roads in Colorado has barely changed in 30 years, even though the traffic counts and vehicle miles driven have doubled. Many times I have driven hundreds of miles across Colorado and never seen a Trooper. In much of Colorado, there are no troopers on duty from around midnight to 6 AM.

Colorado needs more troopers, and it needs to raise traffic fines to the point that they are painful enough to discourage dangerous driving--say $1,000 or so for exceeding the speed limit by more than 10-15 mph. Also, like many states, Colorado has pretty much ended regular testing of drivers once they secure their adult license, so bad driving habits never get discovered by a driving examiner during a driving test, anymore.

People tend to forget that driving is a privilege, not a "right."
I totally agree with your second and third paragraph as this sounds exactly like it is here in Phoenix. There is aggressive driving up the Wazoo. They have even resorted to photo radar camera's on an eight mile stretch of the 101 Freeway. The first day they implemented they camera caught someone doing 125mph. You can officially do up to 10 miles over the speed limit, but if you go 11 over it flashes. Now you have some people when they come close to the cameras hitting their brakes and causing more rear end collisions. The times I have spent in Colorado, I did notice people driving at a pretty good clip on I-25 but felt safer compared to some of the Idiot moves I have seen people do on the Freeways and residential streets here in Phoenix.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,378 times
ya gotta get around, move around those SUNDAY DRIVERS!

I'm just kidding, I agree witcha

Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We came to CO from the DC area, northern VA. Drivers there are much worse, its the crowding...

When it snowed there, we saw the same behavior, that old "got a 4x4 so I'm invincible." Saw lots of them stuck on the shoulder and with their high center of gravity, many flipped over too.

My experience with driving around Denver tells me under normal conditions, those folks are a LOT nicer than the DC drivers. When this newbie finds himself in the wrong lane, Denver drivers will let you merge over politely, not so back east. I find myself in the wrong lane sometimes as the signage is not good as to which side of the road one needs in order to access I-25 from a local street...sometimes its a left turn, sometimes its a right turn....and you get almost no advance warning as to which side of the street you need to be on. So far, Denver drivers have proven themselves a breath of fresh air compared to the hatefulness back in the DC area.

s/Mike from back east...and I damned sure ain't going back
THEY DO? Boy I didn't think so. If DC area is worse I sure don't want to go there. You want trouble, try taking a horse trailer thro Denver on I25 headed for Fort Collins vet. hosp. at the college. I even had a sign on rear and front. WARNING Injured horse--slow turns, easy braking. Drivers gave me a wide berth passing me no horns no center fingers etc. Then blow the niceities and pass like a bat out of h*ll then cut my nose off pulling in front of me and put on the brakes. ---I hate driving anywhere near Denver. Geez. I just don't understand why it is necessary to drive like that. Yep I am the one they cuss because I drive the speed limit or at the most 10 over.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:38 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
[quote=Nadine;566865]....try taking a horse trailer thro Denver on I25 headed for Fort Collins vet. hosp. at the college.[quote]

Driving aside, is your critter okay now?

s/Mike

Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
Compared to Charlotte, Norfolk - Va. Beach, the DC Beltway or the NE, Colorado is a cakewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver