Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 AM

17 posts, read 59,780 times

Advertisements

Moving 08/01/2009 to Evergreen, CO from NJ.

What can I expect for the commute from Evergreen to DTC? I will be traveling to and from work with my wife.

Any advice on commute time, best routes, alternative commuting options is welcome and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM

119 posts, read 469,103 times
I'm guessing you're looking at about 45 minutes to an hour each way with no weather and average traffic. You get more snow in the foothills so you are going to have more days where that is a concern.

The foot hill towns further south than Evergreen, along highway 285 would be better for that commute. I-25 can be a pretty rough commute, so if you can avoid taking that, especially from 6th Avenue to the DTC, you'll be helping yourself out.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Thanks. We have not decided on a specific location in Evergreen and are looking in the surrounding towns too. We both currently make a 1+ hour commute and would like to cut a little time off, and know the commuting time it is well worth it! We do not want to live in Denver.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I'd consider Ken Caryl or Deer Creek Canyon first...even Larkspur, before Evergreen, for the commute.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I'd consider Ken Caryl or Deer Creek Canyon first...even Larkspur, before Evergreen, for the commute.
Thanks for the suggestions, but we really have our hearts set on some acreage in the foothills.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
You may also want to look at Morrison, Indian Hills or Conifer. They have the same look feel of evergreen but are a lot easier commute. If you are looking on the north end of evergreen by the interstate, then the commute wont be quite as bad, but if you are looking at the western side of evergreen, around shadow mountain road, then it could be as much as an additional 30 minutes. The roads are narrow, winding and you cant go more than 25mph if you are lucky. In winter you have to be ok with the roads being cleared later in the morning around 8-10 am. As long as your jobs are flexible, you should be OK.
I think the key for you would be the time you make the commute. If you can shift your work hours to something like 6-3 or 9-6 then you will find the commute is much faster. During Rush hour 470 is a complete parking lot once you get to the highlands ranch area east of Santa Fe. Its also the same in the evening.

I have no intention of scaring you, but a lot of areas, especially in evergreen have native populations of mountain lions. You cant simply let you dogs (or Children) out to play in the yard unless they are supervised. Attacks do happen and it is best to ask the neighbors of any area you are looking at how the wildlife is. I once looked at a house in evergreen around sundown and while on the deck, herd a mountain lion snarl in the distance. That explained why all the neighbors had fully enclosed dog runs. The foothills are pretty, but if you are thinking they are hollywood postcard then you are in for a a bit of a shock. The mountains are just that, mountains, and they support a large range of native wildlife. Mountain Lions, Bears, Elk, Deer, Porcupines...they all call the area home. You just have to learn to live with them.

Nav

Last edited by Nav; 06-04-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 33,399 times
Hello Parafly
Evergreen is the best. I've lived here for over 30 years and wouldn't live anywhere else in Colorado. Your drive will be about 55-60 minutes duringn traffic times. I70 to 6th Avenue is the route I used to take - then I25 south. Lots of traffic, but the most direct from Evergreen.

You'll be happy you end up in Evergreen on the weekend and evenings.
Margaret Stapleton -- see you on Main Street

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM

13 posts, read 66,383 times
Talking Evergreen-Denver= BEST non-traffic times to commute

Hi everyone! I read past posts about Evergreen and all, but am wondering (and haven't come across the answer yet) when is the best time to travel from Evergreen to downtown Denver in the morning and vice versa in the later afternoon to avoid major traffic? We live in Wash Park now and my husband usually leaves work around 6ish or so. Is this a bad time to head to Evergreen from Denver? Are there any RTD (lol) or Park-n-Rides along the way?

Also, can anyone post information to hiking trails in Evergreen as I am not too familiar with the area? We may be renting a house in (old) Genesee Park off of Chief Hosa Exit or off of Genesee Park exit. A few mins from the highway probably.

Any moms group in Evergreen or surrounding areas?

Oh, one last thing..sorry..does anyone know of any health clubs that offer childcare in and around Evergreen? I don't mind traveling 20 mins to a good gym. I belong to the YMCA now and I found that the closest one to this area may be close to 30 mins away. Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Patsy

Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,490,659 times
Patsy,
The best time would be to leave around 5:30ish from Evergreen. If you could get the working hours 6:00-3:00pm then you would avoid nearly all of the stop and go traffic. (You will still hit it on Fridays as everyone leaves early to head to the mountains) Usually, it not so much the traffic, but the Sun that causes the most problems. If you time your commute wrong, you are staring into it the entire way....

As for RTD, there is a Park-N-Ride in Bergen Park on the western side of Evergreen. You can go to www.rtd-denver.com for details.

Nav

Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers00 View Post
. . .
Oh, one last thing..sorry..does anyone know of any health clubs that offer childcare in and around Evergreen? I don't mind traveling 20 mins to a good gym. I belong to the YMCA now and I found that the closest one to this area may be close to 30 mins away. Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Patsy
Evergreen has two rec centers: Evergreen Park & Recreation District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver