Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM

32 posts, read 121,432 times

Advertisements

I'm a single black female in my early 30's and I'm getting ready to move to Denver ALONE for a job and I'm scared to death.

First I'm moving from a suburb outside of Atlanta which I have lived all my life and we a have a bit of history with racial tension so I'm wondering what race relations are like?

I'm am not a big city girl so I don't want to live in downtown Denver however I don't wanna move too far from the job as I am a bit worried about driving on snow so are there any suburbs near Denver that are NICE and SAFE that I can use backroads to commute to work? Oh and I prefer living in townhome apartment cause I have 3 chihuahuas and find that this works the best since they like to run around a lot. Are there a lot of these in Denver? Of course renting a house would do too.

I have lived in white areas and have no problem with this BUT I certainly don't want to move in an area with rednecks (hope that's not offensive) who aren't receptive of blacks so I'm wondering how would whites react if I moved into their neighborhood?

Are white men and hispanic men receptive to dating and marrying black women in Denver? Though Atlanta has made strides in this area, we still have a long way to go!

Any good diverse Churches out in the burbs?

Can anyone give a good comparison to Denver vs Atlanta?

Can you get around in Denver or outside of Denver using backroads or do you have to take interstates?

Thanks a bunch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
Howdy, Denver really only has a few snow days a year. Most days, the snow is light and you have nothing to worry about. If you are really worried about commuting on snow, you can look into living on a light rail line so that you have an alternative when the weather is crummy.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes33 View Post
Are white men and hispanic men receptive to dating and marrying black women in Denver?
Am neither. But you can marry me

Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:
I'm a single black female in my early 30's and I'm getting ready to move to Denver ALONE for a job and I'm scared to death.

First I'm moving from a suburb outside of Atlanta which I have lived all my life and we a have a bit of history with racial tension so I'm wondering what race relations are like?

I'm am not a big city girl so I don't want to live in downtown Denver however I don't wanna move too far from the job as I am a bit worried about driving on snow so are there any suburbs near Denver that are NICE and SAFE that I can use backroads to commute to work? Oh and I prefer living in townhome apartment cause I have 3 chihuahuas and find that this works the best since they like to run around a lot. Are there a lot of these in Denver? Of course renting a house would do too.

I have lived in white areas and have no problem with this BUT I certainly don't want to move in an area with rednecks (hope that's not offensive) who aren't receptive of blacks so I'm wondering how would whites react if I moved into their neighborhood?

Are white men and hispanic men receptive to dating and marrying black women in Denver? Though Atlanta has made strides in this area, we still have a long way to go!

Any good diverse Churches out in the burbs?

Can anyone give a good comparison to Denver vs Atlanta?

Can you get around in Denver or outside of Denver using backroads or do you have to take interstates?

Thanks a bunch!!!
I would think interracial marriage is more difficult in the south. havent been to Atlanta but been to little rock, AR and the white/black tension there was pretty uncomfortable.

I'm a long time SF bay area native and so far Denver isnt a while lot different in terms of diversity. .

If you need to meet some good folks here check out the meet ups on the Denver thread. They can be a wealth of info about your new city.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:41 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Colossus_Antonis, she does not want you. You are too good looking. She wants somebody like me; old, fat and ugly.

Seriously, you have nothing to fear. Denver is the most accepting place with very little racial tension that I have ever lived. I am an ex New Yorker, lived in NYC, way back, when there was real bad in race relations. I have been here over 30 years and moved from Dallas/Ft. Worth--Dallas was bad. I grew up in segregated neighborhoods near Buffalo's east side. I have been in the Army in the time when it was difficult for race relations. I have seen much to compare. Denver is accepting and safe City and being black, married to a black, having mixed beautiful racial children is all common and accepted.

Now obviously, there are some rednecks but they do not predominate. Perhaps there are some very bad areas to live for biracial couples. I have not seen them. I have relatives and friends all over the place and there are African American, Asians, and those beautiful children all over--not a problem. I have a relative who lives next door to a white family that adopted a newborn black baby from the south. She is now about 3 and so cute; and we all welcome here and make her comfortable.

I have been to my niece's day cares and schools in Jefferson County and I see all kinds of people. It is not a big deal--certainly not to the children. I referred once to her little friend as the "Is she the nice black girl ?"; I get confused will all her little friends. She corrected me: "NO, she is not black, she is Brown".

We have blacks over to our houses and I see them in all neighborhoods. There is not the strict neighborhood boundaries, like you see in the east. There is not the tension in interactions. Denver has been a welcoming place for all different people for a long time.

Just to let you know that Denver elected a Hispanic Mayor in a majority white city, at that time. Next Mayor was black, still in a majority white city. Now, we have a popular white mayor, Hickenlooper, who was elected in a city that is very close to 50% white, the rest other minorities. It is now, at the present time, moving above 50% white because of the big influx of professional people and empty nestors into the city. At the same time, we are seeing more blacks move into traditional white suburbs. Also, the Colorado Legislature just elected the first leader who is Black.

Rest assured, you will be welcomed.

Livecontent

Old 06-05-2009, 06:08 PM

32 posts, read 121,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Colossus_Antonis, she does not want you. You are too good looking. She wants somebody like me; old, fat and ugly.

Seriously, you have nothing to fear. Denver is the most accepting place with very little racial tension that I have ever lived. I am an ex New Yorker, lived in NYC, way back, when there was real bad in race relations. I have been here over 30 years and moved from Dallas/Ft. Worth--Dallas was bad. I grew up in segregated neighborhoods near Buffalo's east side. I have been in the Army in the time when it was difficult for race relations. I have seen much to compare. Denver is accepting and safe City and being black, married to a black, having mixed beautiful racial children is all common and accepted.

Now obviously, there are some rednecks but they do not predominate. Perhaps there are some very bad areas to live for biracial couples. I have not seen them. I have relatives and friends all over the place and there are African American, Asians, and those beautiful children all over--not a problem. I have a relative who lives next door to a white family that adopted a newborn black baby from the south. She is now about 3 and so cute; and we all welcome here and make her comfortable.

I have been to my niece's day cares and schools in Jefferson County and I see all kinds of people. It is not a big deal--certainly not to the children. I referred once to her little friend as the "Is she the nice black girl ?"; I get confused will all her little friends. She corrected me: "NO, she is not black, she is Brown".

We have blacks over to our houses and I see them in all neighborhoods. There is not the strict neighborhood boundaries, like you see in the east. There is not the tension in interactions. Denver has been a welcoming place for all different people for a long time.

Just to let you know that Denver elected a Hispanic Mayor in a majority white city, at that time. Next Mayor was black, still in a majority white city. Now, we have a popular white mayor, Hickenlooper, who was elected in a city that is very close to 50% white, the rest other minorities. It is now, at the present time, moving above 50% white because of the big influx of professional people and empty nestors into the city. At the same time, we are seeing more blacks move into traditional white suburbs. Also, the Colorado Legislature just elected the first leader who is Black.

Rest assured, you will be welcomed.

Livecontent
Wow that was very informative and I really appreciate it. Seems like Colorado is a really nice place. Georgia has some ways to go in race relations. I mean it's gotten better but there is still that age old mentality of we keep to ourselves. Like for example my best friend is white. You wouldn't believe how many blacks have a problem with this. I grew up loving heavy metal and hard rock and got a lot of flack from blacks and this continues even today. Here the mentality is if you're black you should listen to your own music and if you're white you should listen to your own music. Sorry but for me music is music whether it be Marvin Gaye or Aerosmith. If it sounds good, chances are I'm gonna like it regardless of the color of the person or persons singing it.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Well, I am much older than you. I do not like Marvin Gaye or Aerosmith...but give me The Mills Brothers and I am happy, relaxed; and they are part of why I
Livecontent

Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
I grew up loving heavy metal and hard rock and got a lot of flack from blacks and this continues even today.
I cannot believe this

This must be a new species, I must alert my Biologist lol

Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
You really have nothing to be scared of, Denver is a great place.

Race relations are fine, and you will be in constant company of different people from all over the country and world. I don't think anybody would be unwelcome in Denver.

Driving on snow is a learned skill that takes practice, and a refresher course if it hasn't snowed for awhile. Drive slowly, keep your distance, and brake slowly and early.

I'm only going by the little I know about Atlanta (I've never been there), but isn't it fairly heavily forested? There are no back-roads to speak of in metro Denver, everything is essentially closely-connected and continuous. I think you need to see Denver first to see what I mean.

You should be able to find a place without much of a problem; is your job downtown? Since you don't want the city-life, look towards the southern parts of the city/county of Denver (it's quite suburban), Aurora, Lakewood, Westminster, Thornton, Arvada, etc. All depends on where exactly work is.

I personally don't think of Denver as the least bit redneck. With all honesty, I think you could move into any neighborhood in metro Denver and not have to worry about not being welcomed. I don't think you'd attract any negative attention because you are black.

Like anywhere, I don't think all white and/or Hispanic men would be interested in dating/marrying a black woman, but in Denver, I would say more than average white and/or Hispanic men would be interested in dating/marrying a black woman, and I say this as as white and/or Hispanic man.

When it comes to commuting in Denver, the most direct route is usually best. Denver doesn't have the traffic problems of Atlanta.

Good luck, I really think you'll find Denver to be a great change, and hope you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Brighteyes,
I don't live in Denver but I visit quite often and have friends and relatives living there.
You need to check out the neighborhoods you will be living in. Co-workers, fellow church members etc will be your best source of information. A Women can be a target for sexual predators no matter what her race. You will probably be a lot safer in Denver than Atlanta. Just find out the bad areas of town and avoid them and use the same common sense you used in Atlanta to avoid trouble.

The winter driving issue can be overcome. I would advise taking instructions from a qualified Driver's Education teacher. Some of the local Community Colleges probably offer classes for a modest fee. Driving on ice can be scary if you don't know what you are doing. Experience is a great teacher but it CAN be a hard way to learn. Get a qualified instructor to help you. Any good car insurance agent should be able to advise you in how to find one.

Good luck,
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver