U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,293,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Auto Insurance: $298 a year---15 year old car, 69,600 miles, one senior driver, no accidents in recent memory, no tickets for about 15 years, no drunk driving tickets. Coverage is for higher limits than minimum.

Water--$33, every two months. I use 2-3 thousands gallons every two months.
trash--$64 every three months
Electric Gas--50 dollars in warm months, 90 in cold months----80 month, average over year.

Homeowner's Insurance $300 yr. higher coverage, never a claim on any home.

I think insurance company's like me because my credit score is extremely high, I think it is 84; I never paid a bill late; have no debt. It appears those credit scores are real important. I am a boring senior male who never has been arrested, charged with a crime... perhaps they check all that...

The trick is to live simply, pay your bills, mind your manners,and you can also pay less and
Livecontent

WOW!! That is great savings compared to David.
Ever since I sold our house (2300 sq ft) and moved into a 1300 st ft. And trust me, family of 4 (here) and we can live comfortable in this sq ft (been there..done that!).
My electric bill alone dropped 130.00 a month.
Dropped gas since I didn't need it at new place (savings of $35 a month on avg)
My water / waste bill @ old house was $75.00 a month if you use it or not exceed over certain gallon amount (can't remember what it was). Now my new place is only $40.00 a month which is included into the rent.

Great job LC!

Quote:
The trick is to live simply, pay your bills, mind your manners,and you can also pay less
AMEN!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM

8,907 posts, read 11,763,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
WOW!! That is great savings compared to David.
Ever since I sold our house (2300 sq ft) and moved into a 1300 st ft. And trust me, family of 4 (here) and we can live comfortable in this sq ft (been there..done that!).
My electric bill alone dropped 130.00 a month.
Dropped gas since I didn't need it at new place (savings of $35 a month on avg)
My water / waste bill @ old house was $75.00 a month if you use it or not exceed over certain gallon amount (can't remember what it was). Now my new place is only $40.00 a month which is included into the rent.

Great job LC!

AMEN!!
......And now, the rebuttal:

Comparing a family of four (my situation), to a person living alone (Livecontent), is simply not fair, Mike.

Our home in Aurora was 2200 sq ft, we loved it, and it suited us well. We now live in Spokane, WA, and have downsized considerably, but are still comfortable.

Then (Aurora):
4 bed, 3 bath, 2200 sq ft house, $1259/mo
Water bill: $110
Trash: ~ $65

Now (Spokane)
2 bed, 2 bath, 1000 sq ft house, $775/mo
Water bill: $0
Trash: $0

I don't yet know what the electric bill will be here, but I'd imagine it'd be the same or less than what we paid in Aurora. Gas is included here as well.

My auto insurance rate I'm quite satisfied with, because it's the lowest it's ever been. I don't anticipate much of a change in price from CO to WA.

Gas is about 35 cents more expensive here per gallon, but I try and get it in ID or MT when I can (cheaper).

Milk is $1.79 here in WA, which blows CO and its $2.50-$3.00 away.

We used our move as an excuse to reduce monthly costs, yet my salary has remained the same. As you can see from my Then vs. Now comparison, I've already cut $659 out of my monthly expenses, and am working to cut more, so one day, I too can livecontent.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 AM

20 posts, read 27,986 times
This is great information to see all... we are moving from West Palm Beach to the Denver metro area. Not sure where just yet... we just found out about the job transfer. I've been reading posts all morning and have found out a lot of good information! Cost of living here sounds very comparable to Ohio, which is where we grew up. Here in WPB, the cost of living is considerably higher and the housing market took a huge hit. For now, we will be renting in CO until we get the home sold in FL and our land sold in OH which has been on the market since 2006!

We've been looking at Littleton and someone told us to look at Evergreen... we have three boys under the age of 6. Therefore, we are looking for good schools, good community, good church and look forward to meeting great people. I've read great comments on how friendly the CO people are! Polor opposite of WPB, FL... Anyone have suggestions on what area's in which to focus our search?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 AM

622 posts, read 1,149,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofamfive View Post
We've been looking at Littleton and someone told us to look at Evergreen... we have three boys under the age of 6. Therefore, we are looking for good schools, good community, good church and look forward to meeting great people. I've read great comments on how friendly the CO people are! Polor opposite of WPB, FL... Anyone have suggestions on what area's in which to focus our search?
I'm a fan of the south metro area so I would suggest looking in Littleton, Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Parker, Castle Rock, south Jeffco, Lone Tree. See the index thread for discussions on these areas. They all have great schools, plenty of churchs and once involved, good community. Evergreen could be good too but you would have to visit there and see if that's they style of living you want.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 PM

20 posts, read 27,986 times
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll look into them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver