U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 PM

137 posts, read 264,082 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone could give me the average for insurance in CO. We currently pay a little over 150 a month for two cars-- 98 sedan and 01 mini-van-- squeaky clean driving records.

Our home insurance is 600 a year and includes almost 200,000 for personal property (extensive collection). 2700 sq ft house

What do utilites run there monthly for the same sized house?

Here:
Water 32.00
Trash 15.00
Gas/Electric (200.00 on average)
Gas price today was 2.59 a gallon for the standard gas

Anything else that might be a lot more expensive?

Thank you so much, we move soon and I am preparing for any unforseen costs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:08 PM

9,233 posts, read 12,377,389 times
Auto Insurance (05 Sedan, 06 SUV) (25 yo male/27 yo female, male has two accidents ): ~ $130.

I had a rented (no help with homeowners insurance here, sorry) 2200 sq ft house:

Water: $110, city of Aurora, not sure if this is considered normal or not, but is very high IMO
Trash: $60-$70 every three or four months (I do not recall)
Electric/Gas: $125-$150 average over the course of the year.

I don't know what gas costs there right now, but I'd imagine it's in the upper $2.30's or $2.40's right now.

Milk is $2.50-$3.00 per gallon.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks for answering. So it sounds pretty comparable with cheaper gas and milk. lol Also your car insurance is lower than ours and we are older so perhaps ours would be lower than yours? Is that full coverage?

I agree, 110 is pretty high for water but I am also moving from the land of xeriscaping (zero landscaping-- all drought tolerant plants and rocks, lots o rocks) so perhaps the higher bill there accounts for maintaining all that green everywhere.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM

569 posts, read 1,634,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Auto Insurance (05 Sedan, 06 SUV) (25 yo male/27 yo female, male has two accidents ): ~ $130.

I had a rented (no help with homeowners insurance here, sorry) 2200 sq ft house:

Water: $110, city of Aurora, not sure if this is considered normal or not, but is very high IMO
Trash: $60-$70 every three or four months (I do not recall)
Electric/Gas: $125-$150 average over the course of the year.

I don't know what gas costs there right now, but I'd imagine it's in the upper $2.30's or $2.40's right now.

Milk is $2.50-$3.00 per gallon.
Your water bill is very high but that's average for Aurora. I don't know what water bills look like for the rest of the metro area. I think trash is slightly more expensive at approx. $30/month, no matter which company you choose.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 PM

9,233 posts, read 12,377,389 times
Yes, the car insurance was 100/300, or full coverage.

My trash company was Pro Disposal (highly recommended). Run, don't walk away from Waste Management. I wouldn't say my trash averaged anywhere near $30/mo, I would say closer to $15, and that included single-stream recycling.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:27 AM

4,931 posts, read 8,809,802 times
Auto Insurance: $298 a year---15 year old car, 69,600 miles, one senior driver, no accidents in recent memory, no tickets for about 15 years, no drunk driving tickets. Coverage is for higher limits than minimum.

Water--$33, every two months. I use 2-3 thousands gallons every two months.
trash--$64 every three months
Electric Gas--50 dollars in warm months, 90 in cold months----80 month, average over year.

Homeowner's Insurance $300 yr. higher coverage, never a claim on any home.

I think insurance company's like me because my credit score is extremely high, I think it is 84; I never paid a bill late; have no debt. It appears those credit scores are real important. I am a boring senior male who never has been arrested, charged with a crime... perhaps they check all that...

The trick is to live simply, pay your bills, mind your manners,and you can also pay less and
Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-08-2009 at 12:38 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 12:55 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times
Your water bill depends entirely on how much you water your lawn. That's where most of your water goes. If you practice xeriscaping, you probably have a very small water bill. Otherwise, your water bill will be $100 or more in the warmer months.

Unfortunately, few people in Metro Denver practice xeriscaping, first because many HOAs in the suburbs don't allow it, believe it or not. For those who don't have to worry about pushy HOAs, xeriscaping often costs quite a bit more to do up front than plain old bluegrass turf, though the savings over time will mitigate that.

Your electric and gas will come together on one bill with Xcel energy. Most everyone has gas heat in Denver, so your heating bill depends entirely on the energy efficiency of your home. A large home like yours could easily be hundreds of dollars per month in the winter if poorly insulated, but somewhere in the $150 range for a well insulated large home during the months of December, January, and Feburary. If you have A/C, that will run on your electric bill, but IMO there's only a very short period of time in the summer that you'll feel the need to run your A/C a lot, particularly if you're arriving from Abq, I would think.

As for trash, the city of Denver provides trash and recycling for "free" to its residents (presumably we pay for it somewhere). Most everyone else has to get private trash haulers. The city of Denver also has the lowest property taxes of any sizable taxing district in the metro area, something to consider as well, though if you rent you probably won't see the savings passed onto you.

Last edited by tfox; 06-08-2009 at 01:03 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,738,275 times
Similarly sized home, 30 years old, heating runs around $150 in winter months, last gas/electric bill was $70 for April. Just depends on how comfortable you want to be and how much electronic gadgets you use.

Water was a lot cheaper than most people, make sure sprinkler system is adjusted properly so you don't waste water. When it gets hot and dry I'll water about 3 times a week for 15 minutes each zone around 5am when there's no wind. I don't remember the exact $ used but it was a lot cheaper than back East.

Search around for good waste company if you are not bound by the city/HOA. Some will give you a good discount if you pay for a full year.

Insurance is around $250 per $100K with Allstate - check with whoever does your car insurance for discounts, I think we did 1K deductible. I wouldn't do any less deductible unless you have great rates, I would really only use insurance on major claims anyway.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the replies--

moonwalkr-- the house we are buying is 30 years old too, so great point of reference.

tfox-- we are tired of xeriscaping and looking forward to the green. Anticipating more water usage, but are used to heavy conservation guidelines. It would make sense to hear that Denver has one of the lowest property tax rates as they have the lowest rated schools. We wanted to live in Denver but the schools put us off. It is really sad that such a great city has such low rated schools.

livecontent-- sounds like you got it down pat!

I think car insurance might be a lot higher in Albuquerque due to the high percentage of uninsured motorists and DUIs.

Thanks again, I cannot wait to get up there permanently.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 PM

2,212 posts, read 3,154,913 times
It depends on where you live and which companies you use for gas/electric/water. We rented for a year in Denver and when we moved to Aurora (in Arapahoe County), we didn't notice much of a difference in bills.

Our house is 2000 sq ft. It's a 2 level house with an unfinished basement. In the summer, we keep our air conditioner at 71, but we are careful about opening the windows in the evening to let the breeze cool off the house. We have an electric washer and dryer and a gas fireplace that really heats up the house in the winter. We have an irrigation system but are also careful about turning off the system when it rains.

So, our bills are:

Car insurance: $110 per month. No accidents, just two of us driving a 2002 Honda Accord and a 2007 Honda Pilot. We have a $500 deductible and window replacement coverage. Both cars are fully insured (though the 02 Honda is older, it's still a critical car for us so we cover it fully).

Electricity: $90 per month, and that's only for electricity...gas is separate.

Gas: $30 for the summer, but it's higher (near $90) in the winter.

Water: $70 but that includes my husband's obsessive car washing and letting the kids run through the sprinkler.

We don't pay for garbage separately...it's part of our HOA. The recycling program is covered by the HOA as well. Our HOA dues are $186 every 6 months. We're okay with that because our HOA is a good one.

Our homeowner's insurance is $50 per month and our property taxes are $200 per month, though both are just included in our mortgage payment. Our taxes will be going up next year because we voted in a bond/levy for the Cherry Creek School District.

Gas in Colorado is consistently below the national average. Currently, it's $2.48 at the corner Valero. Groceries are the same pretty much everywhere we've lived (Arizona, Florida and now Colorado).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver