Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

After 20+ years of running my mouth , I and my wife to be are finally going to make Colorado our home opposed to a frequently visited state. Chicago and Mayor Daley and his cronies, along with our 10.25% sales tax can kiss our.. well you know.

Our area's of interest are Golden, Arvada, Applewood and West Denver . Any info/links regarding hospitals, schools, foreclosure rates, crime, mayor and staff, taxes, real estate links, etc.. would be greatly appreciated .

Hiking, camping, fishing, biking, snowboarding.. we like to do all. We looked at Ft. Collins (loved it), but it is too far from what we want access to (city, family, mountains).

Our home goes on the market in a couple of months with a move West by spring of 2010 . Any and all opinions/views/recommendations would be very helpful. I/we have a very strong interest in Golden.. so don't hold back.

Thanks!

Last edited by skydrvr; 06-09-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:25 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,067,051 times
Although I do like all of your choices,.....I would have to vote for Applewood!!! It is definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods ( that and Evergreen). Applewood has many properties with a lot more land/bigger lots and,...it's the gateway to the rockies being close to every amentity and of course, those gorgeous mountains you are longing to play in!!
The schools are just fine for your family...they have 2 golf courses and you are a hop skip and jump to any and everywhere!!!!
IF I didn't love my home in Canon City soooo much,....I would pick Applewood then Evergreen to live out the rest of my life!! Seriously!!
I am actively looking for a property to invest in for my sons in Evergreen!
Too many deals to mention!! Lovely lifestyle!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,940,290 times
You'll definitely have better luck posting this in the "Denver" forum.

But, anyway, you'll probably like Golden the best if you come visit, for good reason. It's one of the very few suburbs of metro Denver that it actually feels like you're in an independent town. It has a great college (CSM), it has a great little downtown, the Clear Creek area is nicely done, and great mountain access. The problem with Golden is that it's hard to find rentals and properties to buy there, and they tend to a bit more expensive. Even a lot of CSM students live in nearby Lakewood or Arvada because of cost. It's not quite as expensive as Boulder, but Boulder usually has a pretty broad range of rentals available at any given time, whereas in Golden you have to pounce on a good one when it comes available. A lot of posters on c-d complain about lack of availability there -- I guess people who live in Golden must stay put; perhaps they're happy there.

As for your other options, Green Mountain in Lakewood is a good choice; I know you didn't mention Lakewood but if you're interested in Golden you should certainly consider it. Applewood, as mentioned, is a great neighborhood. Far Western Arvada runs into the northern stretches of Golden and also is close to the metro area's best recreation center (APEX). Downtown "Old Town" Arvada is also charming.

As for "West Denver", if you're talking about the city of Denver, there are some very nice areas on the western half of the city of Denver, and some not-so-nice areas. With the risk of generalizing too much, Colfax is generally the dividing line. North of Colfax you have Highlands, Sloan's Lake, Berkeley, etc, -- great neighborhoods (this area is normally called, somewhat counter-intuitively, "North Denver", not "West Denver"). Immediately South of Colfax (i.e,. "West Denver") things are improving in anticipation of the new light rail line going in, but it's a bit more in transition as there's still a fair bit of public housing there. South of 6th is pretty rough right now, to be frank, but let that not deter you from visiting the fabulous ethnic markets and restaurants in that part of town -- some of the best eats in the city are along South Federal. This only really applies to the city of Denver, I should point out, south of 6th in Lakewood is generally good.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrvr View Post
After 20+ years of running my mouth , I and my wife to be are finally going to make Colorado our home opposed to a frequently visited state. Chicago and Mayor Daley and his cronies, along with our 10.25% sales tax can kiss our.. well you know.

Our area's of interest are Golden, Arvada, Applewood and West Denver . Any info/links regarding hospitals, schools, foreclosure rates, crime, mayor and staff, taxes, real estate links, etc.. would be greatly appreciated .

Hiking, camping, fishing, biking, snowboarding.. we like to do all. We looked at Ft. Collins (loved it), but it is too far from what we want access to (city, family, mountains).

Our home goes on the market in a couple of months with a move West by spring of 2010 . Any and all opinions/views/recommendations would be very helpful. I/we have a very strong interest in Golden.. so don't hold back.

Thanks!
Do you have jobs lined up? If you wil be working, the job location will help determine where you will live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver