U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-13-2009, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Default Schools

I'm living in KC, and am about to make a move to Broomfield. I have two kids. One going into 6th grade and another going into 9th grade. They have switched schools many times before in Kansas City. Public and Private schools. Going into Denver I'm trying to find the right school for them.

I am looking for a few things. First of all, it has to be very challenging. My kids have been taking advanced classes their entire life and will get bored with anything less than challenging. Second, it has to be within about 20 minutes. Not a big commute. Third, I'd prefer private schools that are not affiliated with religion. I have dealt with religious and public schools, and they can be less than cooperative. I know there are exceptions though. So, if there are any outstanding exception, I'll take them.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-14-2009, 10:56 AM

8,207 posts, read 17,043,858 times
try Denver Private High Schools

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM

5,748 posts, read 6,519,684 times
There are public & charter schools with a reputation for being very challenging. D'Evelyn Jr./Sr. High School in Jefferson County comes to mind, along with Cherry Creek Schools. Here's a link you might find useful: US News & World Report Best Schools 2009.

edit: Oops! I totally missed the point that the OP is planning a move to Broomfield. Sorry for the irrelevant suggestions. Obviously, Jefferson County is out of the question!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 06-14-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:12 AM

13,276 posts, read 27,712,030 times
So you'll be living in Broomfield, but you want Denver schools for your kids, is that correct?
The GreatSchools link does not list Kent, but if you want a short commute, it is probably out of the question anyway. There is Regis, which is supposed to be very challenging, but it is Catholic. East High is an inner city school with a good reputation (one of my kids went there, as did I back in the 70's) but it is a public school (with, last I heard, a lottery to get in anyway.)
There is the Denver School of Science and Technology--it's public, yet not easy to get in, from what I hear.

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:21 AM

8,207 posts, read 17,043,858 times
I don't think there are that many private high schools that are not affiliated.

If public schools are a consideration, look into Boulder Valley.

Unread 06-14-2009, 12:22 PM

65,531 posts, read 51,866,729 times
The only private high school I know of in the Broomfield area is Holy Family, which is Catholic. I don't know of any in Boulder. Peak to Peak charter school in Lafayette makes all these "lists", and is not that far from Broomfield. Admission is by lottery, and preference is given to people living in the Boulder Valley School District (among other preferences). If you are living in Broomfield, you may be in BVSD, or you may be in one of their other 6, I think it is, school districts. Boulder High and Fairview High, both in Boulder, also have good reputations. Open enrollment criteria are as above, plus you could look at Boulder Valley School District

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,482,621 times
A few private high schools I can think of in Boulder are Tara Performing Arts High School; September School; Shining Mountain Waldorf High School; and Bridge School.

In Lafayette there's Alexander Dawson.

Unread 06-23-2009, 07:53 AM

51 posts, read 146,379 times
Another option for private high school is Alexander Dawson. We know several families who send their children to Dawson and they are happy with the education their children receive. Although Dawson is right down Highway 287, it is at least twenty minutes from Broomfield.

I do not know in which school district you will live but if public schools are an option, you should consider Fairview HS and Summit Middle School. Both schools are in the South Boulder/Table Mesa area of Boulder and are part of the Boulder Valley School District. Summit Middle School is a charter school and admission is by lottery. Fairview HS offers both Advanced Placement courses and the International Baccalaureate program.

I have also heard good things about the pre-Engineering program at Centaurus HS (a BVSD school) and the Legacy 2k program at Legacy High School (Adams 12). Centaurus HS is in Lafayette and Legacy HS is in Broomfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver