U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 PM

1,123 posts, read 1,145,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Seriously? It is more often "warm" than not around here. To me "warm is between 60-80. Once we get past that it's HOT....which has recently been all of June, July and August into September. Hardly "fleeting"....
I suppose it's the definition of warm that we differ on. I don't consider it to be warm until it's over 80. Really you've only got 3 months where the average high is above 80. And anything cooler then an 80 degree high temperature is pretty disappointing in the middle of the summer when you'd ideally like to swim or sit outside during the evening without needing a long-sleeved shirt. There have been some hot Junes lately, but I've seen plenty of cold fronts move through in early to mid-June where you have to wear a sweater. Basically you've only got 2-3 months where you can usually expect that the weather will be warm enough for traditional summer activities (and probably half of those days will be washed out by thunderstorms). Hence summer is fleeting, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:08 PM

16,913 posts, read 11,694,045 times
Have you considered Phoenix?

Seriously though....
Quote:
Really you've only got 3 months where the average high is above 80
That 25% of the year - I would still not consider that "fleeting" - now if you only had 1 month of warm/hot temps, that, to me would warrant the word "fleeting"...There are 4 seasons, so to have one last 25% to me, would be pretty proportional.....That is the point of living somewhere there are seasons....

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I have been in Colorado since the 1970s and this is the longest period of rains and clouds that I ever experienced in this sunny???? state.
Do you remember the spring of (I think) 1995? It rained constantly from April through June. Not as much severe weather (if I remember correctly), but there was actually one weekend where the entire continental U.S. was sunny except for one low pressure system centered over Colorado (I'd never seen that before).

Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Have you considered Phoenix?

Seriously though....

That 25% of the year - I would still not consider that "fleeting" - now if you only had 1 month of warm/hot temps, that, to me would warrant the word "fleeting"...There are 4 seasons, so to have one last 25% to me, would be pretty proportional.....That is the point of living somewhere there are seasons....
Ok, I get your point. But just for grins, here's how I define the seasons for the northern CO Front Range:

Winter - November through March (reason, all of the vegetation is dormant, nights are almost always below freezing).
Spring - April, May and half of June.
Summer - late June through early-September
Fall - mid-September through October.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:48 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,335,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Do you remember the spring of (I think) 1995? It rained constantly from April through June. Not as much severe weather (if I remember correctly), but there was actually one weekend where the entire continental U.S. was sunny except for one low pressure system centered over Colorado (I'd never seen that before).
As I listen to the current weather reports lamenting this harsh weather; it has been mentioned that the last year of this type of weather was the spring of 1991. I can only remember that because my car was destroyed by hale, while I worked Downtown watching the severe weather from a high rise.

My bones, my joints, my tendons have all petitioned my mind to move to a very hot desert climate. I tell them they have to convince the fat, lazy "butt" to move--and that is not easy.

Livecontent

Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 PM

16,913 posts, read 11,694,045 times
I guess it all depends on your perspective....For me, having grown up in a variety of states but spent the years prior to moving here in the midwest, the winters here are warm and sunny by comparison. For me, "winter" is cold. Not a few days below 50 and sunny...Days upon days of overcast, gray days. Wind chill below -20; snow that doesn't melt until March and piles up in the parking lot at the mall until it is black from exhaust. Winters here are generally very mild and sunny. There might be a few cold days but even then? Sunny. Every now and then we get a bunch of snow dumped on us but even so, the next day you're out shoveling in a short sleeved T-shirt. I enjoy all of the seasons and really don't think of any of them as "fleeting" - which is why I LOVE the weather here in CO....BTW - I also remember the spring of 95 as being very wet....

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 AM

795 posts, read 1,534,065 times
I love this weather. I am still not convinced native colorado folk know what hot is. Like one poster said it gets above an 80 average 3 months out of the year. try 4 months of an average high of 90 in Sacramento - 90 days a year over 90 degrees. One of the reasons I moved to denver is due to its mild summers.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:53 AM

13,313 posts, read 29,350,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Quote:
As I listen to the current weather reports lamenting this harsh weather; it has been mentioned that the last year of this type of weather was the spring of 1991. I can only remember that because my car was destroyed by hale, while I worked Downtown watching the severe weather from a high rise.

My bones, my joints, my tendons have all petitioned my mind to move to a very hot desert climate. I tell them they have to convince the fat, lazy "butt" to move--and that is not easy.
Livecontent, it will pass.
Yeah, every now and then Colorado gets some moisture. The Platte flood of '65, the Big Thompson flood of 1976.
I remember the spring of '91. My tomatoes drowned.
I remember the summer of '95 really well, it rained All Summer Long. Everything was very green, which was wonderful--no drought that year.
However, my August 2rd party in honor of my brother's wedding got rained out, which was a drag because we lived in a tiny bungalow and everyone had to crowd inside. And then the next day the rain came down in sheets for their morning wedding--supposedly it's good luck, and they have indeed had two kids and a happy marriage.
And yes, the hail. I believe that was July? My little Honda Civic was never the same after that--and my backyard was turned into pesto.
But we got a new roof out of it.
It was about 21 years ago this week that tornadoes (one of them an F3) touched down in metro Denver--many beautiful 100-year-old Park Hill elms were uprooted. It's not always out on the plains.
I kinda know what Xeric means about fleeting.
It's just that Colorado's seasons overlap: warm gentle sun in winter, harsh snow in spring and fall.
September was such a golden, beautiful month, my favorite, yet so poignant for me, because I dreaded what I knew was coming.
I'd begin mourning summer as soon as I began hearing the cicadas! (I know, that's pretty pathetic.)

Old 06-16-2009, 06:43 AM

5,674 posts, read 10,051,640 times
While living in CO (Englewood then to Parker) for 5 1/2 years and having two surgeries......hip replacement in 2005 and rotor cup in 2007......just couldn't continue living in CO winters and moved to NC. Body felt better there, but didn't like the Charlotte area. Moved to Jacksonville, FL and my body does much better here, but have to get use to heat/humidity and downpours of rain.....we do like it here though! If it weren't for the "Colorado winters", we might still be living there, but then again, we do like it here also. By the way, the rotor cup surgery was due to a fall in ice/snow! Have gotten rid of the snow shovel and snow blower, next is the winter parkas! If we (wife/I) want to see CO weather, we have plenty of DVD video of it!

Quote:

Livecontent

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 AM

4,465 posts, read 5,726,483 times
I am missing the sun and we haven't been able to eat outside on the deck in the evenings which is a bummer.
But, I do love the green, it's been great for my landscaping - I'm transplanting things all over the place from one section to another and haven't had to water any of the transplanted stuff which is nice. And the cloud cover has helped it all to adjust better.
It makes for some great hiking by places with big runoff and waterfalls.
And I do love the sound of the thunder. And I love being able to have the windows open.
But, we all do get so used to the sun that it really plays with your mood to have it not around much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver