U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,010,262 times
Arrow Hilltop Neighborhood, Historic Denver Modern/Mid-Century Homes -- PHOTO TOUR

June 6th found me on the Historic Denver Home Tour in the Hilltop neighborhood. The tour was of Mid-century modern homes.

The first was my favorite, the Kohn / Neusteter House at 1st and Eudora. Architect is Victor Hornbein, Usonian Style and built in 1947. Older Denverites will remember Neusteter’s department store, this was owned by one of the daughters and her hubby. Think 1947, how many homes had drop down movie screen, three car garages with electric door openers, heated flagstone on the pool patio and all natural materials, no sheet rock or paint. Wood ceilings and stone or wood walls and floors.

Wood and wire tracking allowed the owners to hang pictures everywhere there was a wall, wood or glass, without making holes.

The house is completely hidden from the street by high bushes:

Again, no sheet rock, all wood, stone and metal:

Each house on the tour had a historic car out front.

No holes in the walls, pictures on a shelf or hung from wire.

The Amter House, architect is Joe Lort, Usonian Style, built 1953, current owner’s parents were the first residents and little has changes since built. I love the high windows and all the light. Low slope roofs with overhanging eaves and natural materials inside and out. Gravity heat is supplied from the floor instead of radiators.

Most of the structures in the neighborhood are mid-century modern as well, this is Temple Emmanuel:

Many of the homes are modern mixed with Victorian and sadly, some new McMansion monstrosities.

Cool Modern:

Nice Victorian style:

Incredible International Modern Style:

Horrible ship like structure:

The Francis House, 35 Eudora Street, Architect: Donald R. Roark, Formalism style, built in 1956. Large expanses of glass, simple lines, blur between indoor and outdoor living spaces, metal Geneva cabinets and Prescolite light fixtures. Furnishing include features of the work of mid-century icons Gio Ponti, Ico Parisi, Edward Wormley and Florence Knoll. The owner is an architect who finished a very popular mountain home – picture to follow:

Many know this house as the Clam House or the “Sleeper” house from the movie by the same name that Woody Allen filmed here. The architect who’s house I am in, finished the Clam house in 2002, decades after it was originally started. The clam house is in Genesse off of I-70.

More home in the area:

The Touff House, 47 South Ash, Architect: Vitor Hornbein, Usonian style, Built 1958. Sleek horizontal lines, low cantilevered roof with big overhangs and natural materials throughout. I met the owner on the tour and he was able to show folks that he added 2,200 square feet to the underground level and replace the driveway above.

Fountain and pod/bridge as you enter:

Old and new surrounding the home:

Love the Art Deco homes:

Classic Moderns:

The Stephen H. Hart House, 4001 E. Ellsworth Ave., Architect unknown, International Style, Built in 1938, Flat roof, strained use of ornamentation, asymmetrical façade and boxy front. Recently rehabilitated and up for sale at the moment.

New modern under construction:

Historic from the 1950’s:

Epiphany Episcopal Church, 100 Colorado Blvd., Architect: Axtens/Simon, Style: Art Deco/Moderne, built in 1941:

Love this Art Deco beauty:

The Neufeld House, Architect: Richard Crowther, Usonian Style, built in 1956: 40 South Bellaire is the address for this space-age Japanese Minimalist inspired structure. It was destined for destruction in 2003, until blueprints were found in the house and the architect’s firm was contacted. The architect himself began restoration to return it to it’s original state:

Terracotta tiles, metal, glass mixed with modern materials:

The blueprint that saved the house:

Hope you enjoyed and feel free to add to my rep points if so!

Denver Aztec

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM

2,314 posts, read 3,769,173 times
Amazing!

A question for you: What is that, that looks like a blender with a compact flourescent bulb inside?

First time I've heard the Sleeper House called the clamshell; used to hear it called the flying saucer house, among others.

Extraordinary trip down memory lane. . .

Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM

yes, the blender was too old to work so the architect either added the light or spent a fortune to have it done.

I would love to get inside the "Sleeper" house but I bet it will look a lot like this architects house?

You are welcome!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 PM

2,105 posts, read 5,392,237 times
Wow! Was this a formal tour that is open to the public? I would love to go and see these places in person! More info. please.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 PM

815 posts, read 810,705 times
Thanks Denver. Great photos!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM

569 posts, read 1,577,216 times
I have a friend that lives in Hilltop...everytime I go over there I'm astonished at how nice the houses are. Very interesting architecture, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Wow! Was this a formal tour that is open to the public? I would love to go and see these places in person! More info. please.
Not formal and open to the public. This was the 36th Annual Historic Denver Home tour. We have 38 historic districts in Denver and I think they are trying to cover each. Hitoric Denver started back in 1970 when a small group of people saved the 1889 home of Titanic survivor Margaret "Molly" Brown in Capitol Hill. Since then, they have raised over 20 milliion dollars to put back into the comminities of Denver to bring awareness to or history and it's preservation.

This is only one type of home tour here as there are severl in the city, annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Thanks Denver. Great photos!
Thanks Spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
I have a friend that lives in Hilltop...everytime I go over there I'm astonished at how nice the houses are. Very interesting architecture, thanks for sharing!
You are welcome and I am the same way when in the neighborhood!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 AM

7,092 posts, read 6,922,116 times
Very awesome!

I so wish that Victorian was for sale!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Thanks Subsound. There are Victorians in just about every Denver neighborhood and they all vary in price range. Here they would be on the high end.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM

292 posts, read 504,889 times
Awesome Tour! Thanks!

I wonder if Arapahoe Acres ever does tours like that?

Arapahoe Acres Historic District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver