U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:41 PM

291 posts, read 1,919,237 times

Advertisements

My view is closest to Jazzlover's. However, Aurora's bad rap go back before they were accused of sprawling. Aurora was famous for cheap housing, poorly-built buildings and catering to lower-income families. These were the result of lower building standards, and I suspect, a favoritism toward builders to encourage growth.

Over the years much has improved, and many of the substandard areas are being updated. Their building standards are much higher now, and their city services are top-notch. Unfortunately, it will take years of doing better than expected to erase the bias of the past.

The older housing stock has also attracted more than the city's share of "undesirables", so their crime rate is high for the time being. But the influence of Fitsimmons, DIA, Stapleton and similar projects will help upgrade the housing over time.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 15,642 times
Wow, lots of bad karma about Aurora floating around. I've lived here for nine years. In the beginning we bought our house in "old Aurora" because it was all we could afford and a one story brick ranch with a nice size yard was our dream. My husband and I took on new jobs about six years ago, started making considerably more and decided to move. We moved to Southeast Aurora, where the median income is higher than the median income of Denver. Huge homes, nice yards, yada yada yada. We lived there for three years before we couldn't take it anymore. We missed the convenience of old Aurora. We missed our neighbors who were truly honest and unpretentious. We missed the flavor.

We moved back to our little ranch house last year and have never been happier. We can afford to move to what some see as "better" neighborhoods, but we love our neighborhood. Everyone is hardworking and get this, the kids actually play outside. Not like the other area where everyone's garage doors stayed closed all the time and kids were too busy with their video games to venture out into nature.

As far as the gang incidences and gun toting behavior chronicled by jazzlover, I've yet to see that. Yes, I know gang behavior exists in Aurora, but guess what, it exists nearly everywhere. If you want to close your eyes then perhaps you can convince yourself that your neighborhood somehow left behind all semblance of reality in the bubble that is in your corner of the world.

I have yet to have anything negative happen at my home...No theft, no burglary, no threats, nothing. My kids play outside and we know our neighbors. We really do borrow a cup of sugar from each other now and then.

Sorry jazzlover, it sounds like you had a few incidences here that skewed your vision of Aurora. Your description sounds like the Aurora I heard about when I moved here nine years ago. I love this place. Sure, it could be improved, but people are working on it. I've found it's always better to be part of the solution than part of the crowd that bashes without helpful suggestions.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM

95 posts, read 455,497 times
Commerce City is the neighbor to Aurora. Through osmosis, Aurora was affected. Denver is land locked by Aurora, stunning Denver's growth. The majority of people would consider Commerce City the arm pit of Colorado, as, America considers New Jersey. Sure, New Jersey's license plates says 'Garden State', but that's because there wasn't enough room to stamp Oil Refineries, Nuclear storage & NYC sanitation plant.

For the record, Aurora is cleaning up it's act. I enjoy Aurora in moderation.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 PM

83 posts, read 911,381 times
I guess life is all relative, huh! I spent a few days in Aurora and thought it was rather nice compared to alot of other cities that I have been. I come from metro Detroit but have also lived in Washington D.C., Buffalo, and several areas of Chicago. In my short time there, I have never felt as if I was in a terrible dangerous place and have decided to apply for a few jobs in the city. It is all just a matter of where you have been or lived and what you personally consider unsafe. Try not to believe the hype about a place and discover it for yourself.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 13,480 times
Default because their parents were jealous...

since i'm apparently not smart enough to get into the other replies to your comment about front range (denver sprawl, lets be serious) hating the aurora end of town, i'll just have to tell you my version alone.

1st: i wasn't around in the wwii days, however, grumble had it that denver’s big and apparently rightly so claim to fame was lowry. lowry was apparently a training center that was used to a big extent through those years. with this came residents of lowry (the svc. people stationed thru lowry). lowry was centered out from the furthest east end of denver's 6th avenue, and had been kept a denver address/property even though yosemite (the aurora/denver line) went through the middle of the base. somewhere in the 1st half of the century fitzsimmons was also built...on aurora property. “hhm…, said denver.”

as lowry got bigger and bigger through the 40's and 50's it’s housing needs exceeded what the base could hold and lowry (okay, the federal government) bought the property east of the base in, you guessed it-aurora. they commissioned and built many or all of the frame housing between 6th and 11th and from the base to peoria. “ouch!” that hurt, and denver didn't forget it.

then, i believe in the late 50's maybe early 60's came buckly afb, another government investment in A U R O R A! “f'ers!” of course with fitzsimmons and buckley came the real estate booming start for aurora. ...and poor old denver was landlocked, and downtown was a-goin to the dogs, fast.

by the 1960’s aurora was a-hummin! denver was hating aurora for sure, now. “…and what was this 3-year high school system aurora put into their schools?? who would start a high school in the sophomore year? what a bunch of goofs! who did aurora think they were?? and all those snobby designer knock-off homes around del-mar circle? …and then came that stupid 225! what was that supposed to be???” denver couldn't compete with a suburban interstate loop! “aaah!” all of a sudden there was no more separations between the denver suburbs! there was only denver and aurora! “oh, no! what happened here?!” …denver was gasping for words.

“denver” was all well-a-tiff with aurora by 1970 when we first showed up… i was 12 and enrolled in the seventh grade at south middle school. we lived in ‘hoffman heights’, the second best area of aurora… we had a built in swimming pool in our back yard… colfax and peoria was our neighborhood and was booming and exciting! i used to beg my mother to drive to denver up colfax to see all the old motels with neon lights from peoria to ogden. the whole area was exciting then, for a twelve year old from suburban chicago anyway.

2nd: my mother, grandmother (both widows), sister and i tried to move here the first time in 1970. we sold our house in chicago, my mother gave notice at her job, announced she was moving to "colorado" (the mysterious, bo-hoke land of 'out west', where the buffalo and hippy communes roam)...

after two weeks of failed attempts by my mother to get a job (a fully qualified lab-tech hospital worker), and two weeks of failed attempts to rent a house even in 'any area' of aurora at the time, we sat in the old white spot on colfax and about jamaca and decided to go back to chicago before all became lost to the western winds for good…

it was this way because aurora was the fastest growing suburb in the nation at that time (on it’s own a reason for jealous denver to hate aurora), and neither aurora nor denver could keep up with housing or jobs for the influx of people moving in from the mid-west. the majority of the influx was moving to new areas in aurora and taking all of the metro area jobs as fast as they were opening. “a very good reason to hate aurora...”

we made a better planned and thus successful attempt at moving to aurora the following year in the summer of 1971. aurora was still screaming along with the southern (towards the dam/parker road, which was extremely rural slightly se of the hampden/chambers intersection), and eastern (all the way out to loredo street!) developments finally helping job and housing situations slightly. now even neighboring, to some extent perhaps even a (shhh) bedroom-community of the ever prized, most sought after cherry creek village/high school area!

aurora still booming and denver land locked by un-incorporated adams and arapahoe counties, f'ing commerce city, and that god-forsaken arsenal… “oh, no mr. bill! another very good reason to hate aurora!”

with the ‘oil-recession’ (old political-english; pre-new-millenium political-english) all of housing slowed down around the country as far as i remember, and so did aurora, sooner than later. not before aurora's 3rd (say it proudly, "thhh-ird") high school, gateway in about 1974. aurora was now the proud owner of paved streets from parket to i-70 and yosemite all the way to loredo… why, even north chambers was now paved all the way out to about 26th! this screamed along for years and years… “@(#%ing aurora!”

aurora built so much that by the late '70's and through the 80's there was so much empty housing in aurora after the housing boom and then recession housing values started to plummet... there were empty "apartments" and "townhouses" (pre-new-millenium real estate english for ‘condominium’, ‘loft’ or ‘living community’) everywhere! from peoria to loredo and iliff to 6th avenue was a sea, a virtual ocean of empty housing of one sort or another...

you can perhaps put this one on the only valid reason the front range ever had to hate aurora. or perhaps it was just pre-new-millenium america post another tragic war...

either way, all the empty housing meant lots of available cheap housing, and as is only to be expected, the median-income level of residents went down and the crime rate went up. the fact that denver went on a campaign to "clean up colfax!" in the mid-80's and chase (literally, almost) the prostitutes and drug dealers that have since lined colfax between yosemite and potomac, off of the denver side of colfax didn’t help either. it was on the news, it was in the papers, it was no secret. they weren’t arresting them, they were openly and proudly telling them they couldn’t be on the denver side of east colfax, or they would arrest them after such and such a date that this “grace period for whores” was up. it was the beginning of the end of aurora’s colfax as it had been for 40 years…

so came they did (the whores to aurora colfax). ...and so did the late 80's, and the mass influx of people from california, and so did their gangs.

…the incoming gangs primarily first settled in aurora in the abundance of cheap, available, desperate to rent properties during this time frame. there were gangs in denver as well, but these were more the old-school established west and nw denver gangs that were more into cars and women than guns and crack... more bad press for, and life in aurora...

but aurora hung in there and the housing market started recovering in the early '90's and aurora started booming again. a new city jail fit for a king, and an open invitation to god to come serve eucharist on the complex promenade put new aurora on the map again. housing starts were way up again, this time plopping all kinds of new pre-fabs in along it’s fabulous c-470 “pay-as-you-go-axxhole” extravaganza! cookie-cutter after cookie-cutter of suburban bliss, carpeted in genetically-engineered-round-up-cotton ber-ber blends, and backed to open areas of mosquito infested creeks and chemically toxic green belts and tees…

“orgasmic jerks!”, denver spit through clenched teeth, while poor auroran mothers rushed to clinics down iliff with their asthmatic toddlers…

by this time denver had quickly poo-poo'd and dismissed pena and his (“sssh”) lesbian wife (yeah, they actually didn’t like homosexuals once upon a time), stashing him in a closet (forgive me) for a couple years to “taa-daa!” him two years later as their “native son to recovery! hoo-ray! fred was right all along! he just looked funny in bike racing shorts; that’s why we had to get rid of him…not his, um, wife…”

“it’s a very good year!”, denver sighed in 1993, “finally!” the 16th street mall was all a-buzz, there was something way, way cool coming called “a low dope, or something, on the back of downtown”, the rockies were going to build a stadium in low-dope too, ground had broke in “albino-man-country” (ask some other old aurora person, i'm not telling the secret, i’m cursed enough…) for the “den-vee-ar inter-notch-ion-aly aer-eo-puert-io!”… and what ever the heck was going on out at that stupid highlands ranch area was supposed to be great too!

denver had their head high and chest out for the first time in the 50 years since lowry was built! “ha, ha stupid aurora! watch this! we'll just buy up all the land around you before you can afford to! suckers!!”

Aurora still managed to squeeze out lots, somehow through the ‘90’s, using up every frontage area of 225 and 470 available, and then some…

the rest is just modern history as far as I’m concerned. the hate lines were long established between 1945 and 1995 in these typical, dollar for dollar, greedy, jealous ways… the rest is fluff.

except perhaps for the part i didn’t tell you about the smalldone – denver mafia / leo lane – aurora attempted mafia connection… but that’s just cocane under the bridge…

in 1994 i gave up on the whole 'what area could i afford to live in, not only aurora but the entire stinking metro area; which, would also allow my child to come home alive after school from..' my son was going into middle school. my pudgy only-child single parented son's life expectancy was getting shorter and shorter in the aurora hills school area. i had put him in from my mother's address because our area had gotten so bad so fast in the end of the 1980's...

that was when i moved to eastern colorado to a town of 800 people, where not only do they hate people from aurora, they hate people from denver, they hate people from the front-range, they especially hate anyone who moves here from the city, and they really hate eachother, too! at least everyone knows where they stand, openly, for the most part...

and somehow our phoney waves as we drive by eachother, and our phoney smiles, and our oh-so-phoney "how are you's" just seem to make life more, rosey... maybe it's the clean air and the baby calfs... maybe it's simply how we don't get our cars keyed in the grocery store parking lot...

either way, this is what i remember about why the denver sprawl hates aurora.

i hope you found this informative for your quest…

kb
leosupholstery@earthlink.net

Old 04-28-2007, 06:24 AM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
A long-time resident once posted on another thread here that Aurora was traditionally where a lot of African-Americans lived. Perhaps the answer is simply "racism", which supposedly doesn't exist here.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 AM

210 posts, read 1,258,662 times
I reject the claim that it's racism, because Denver has a bigger African American population than Aurora. I don't think people hate Aurorans or Aurora, I think they hate what it has come to symbolize-- uncontrolled sprawl and allegiance to developers (regardless of the consequences). Aurora does tend to be poorer, and have more crime and run-down areas, than other suburbs, and that coupled with its other issues allows it to become an easy scapegoat. I think part of it also probably has to do with the fact that Aurora really doesn't have a core or downtown area to allow it to create its own identity, or personality. I think Aurora doesn't have a soul. It's miles and miles of identical neighborhoods that just keep getting built, even though Aurora doesn't necessarily have the resources to support all this new development. Denver, and most of its suburbs, have some sort of core (or cores)-- a downtown, or arts district, or something along those lines that helps to tie the community together. There is nothing like that in Aurora. I know they're trying to make the Aurora Mall into a sort of center, but I doubt that will change anything. Aurora has not created an identity separate from suburbia--and I think that is probably one of its biggest problems in contributing to its reputation.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Default more jealousy...

you all are right about a core or downtown area to pull and highlight aurora to the rest of the area. the problem with old-new aurora is no different than it was for years with the denver-aurora nonsense. plain, old jealousy, greed, and typical 'were better then them', income-level-division mentalities.

keep your crime stories... this happened before aurora could spell "gang"...

'a core to aurora;' this is, or was, what the old downtown area was supposed to be re-developing the last 10 years or so, wasn't it? the old fox theatre area at about colfax and ? ironton was supposed to be the arts and humanities hub, etc. ...after all, didn't our most realistic '08 presidential candidate just speak there? or are we actually holding his race against any validating the area?

this was the core, the hub of the city back through when the aurora mall was built. there was also some serious retail developments over at buckingham square, hoffman heights shopping (6th and peoria), and picadilly square out on 6th; but the life and excitement of aurora was always on colfax. downtown primarily, but actually between yosemite and 225.

in the ? late '70s early 80's when the aurora mall was built, all of a sudden it gave solid validity to the major-retail-starved south and se aurora areas, the newer, richer areas of aurora.

this was even before the crime rate went whacked on colfax, back when colfax and havana was still a bumper to bumper saturday shopping adventure. from safeway, to woolworth's, a full stock jc penney, and across to the white spot you could spend a full day and afternoon..

you could even finish it off with an early game of bowling at the beautiful brunswick lanes in the holiday inn lot (or even the one at hoffman heights!), a stroll through dad's favorite - hugh m woods lumber at potomac, and finish any beautiful summer evening off with a double at the the "east", the drive-in back up around ursula...

never going more than six or seven miles round trip from most any part of aurora... it was this way (mileage, wise) even through the early 90's.

but new aurora wouldn't put up with the main area of town remaining on colfax in the 80's. new aurora was already 'better' than old-aurora because of the obvious difference in income levels.

there was no crime and the minorities were scarce, to say the least. the aurora mall was the metro prom queen and aurorans flocked there. after all, this side of town was where gateway oly's tipped-it after games...

this was also the side of town that aurora now got to add it's most coveted persona to it's list of new accomplishments - the "cherry creek school district!" the area west of peoria between 1st-ish (sand creek) and mississippi, and full out south of there all of a sudden became the new, new aurora!

...so not only was the old downtown area now washed away in the thought, the old-new aurora - that privelaged bunch south of 6th avenue to mississippi - but, unfortunately east of peoria, were added to the turd list, too.

...and of course, there was still the aurora mall, which was putting buckingham square - almost as old and truly historic as cinderella city is, out of business fast. and no one cared then anymore then they do now...

and now, what do you have? is this "centennial" some new-millenium, second-second-second-coming of se, se aurora; or am i wrong on it's city boundaries?

if that is the case, you can probably just do like the rest of the masses do and just go about your business till real estate is up across the country, and sell out if you want to move then, and hope for the best in between...

in the mean time, aurora will never come together... it's long standing history as america's fastest growing suburb in the '70s has left it a great big, sprawling jealous mess of what should have truly been 'suburbs' to old-aurora.

aurora should have been able to be invited to be denver's 'minneapolis' to their own 'st. paul'... it should have incorporated itself somehow to benefit from the ownership of the vast, open real estate and divided itself into burbs, with or without denver along for the ride...

then the east side of the unified "metro area (denver-aurora, colo.)" could have appreciated downtown aurora for what it truly is, the heart of a great city that proudly and rightly built housing and retail like the dickens to accomodate an influx of people to colorado, who just happened to love aurora more than denver, and truly (ssh) still do.

denver put colorado on the map in the first-half of the 20th century, and aurora not missing a lick did the same in the second...

so now, just as denver would not put up with aurora being 'better' than they in any way through the last half of 1900, new-new-new aurora will not put up with any prior new-auroras, and especially old-aurora being 'better' then they are, in any way.

maybe buckingham square would be middle-ground located enough, and not colfax related enough to appease the masses... it's ashame to see that go to the dogs, too... the second most historical shopping area in aurora, and probably the entire 'front range,' by far.

on the occasion of my 30th year from graduating from aurora central (yep! class of '77... "oh, thank heaven!" was our get-out-of-town-wished-motto), may i send my sincere love, sentiment and (in my most humble voice) get-a-grip wish for and to aurorans of the new-millenium:

it's time to get off your high horse and put reality where your suv is, and come back to the old areas of aurora, before it too late...

after all, do you really want to end up with a cleveland-like reputation?

xo,
kb

Old 04-28-2007, 03:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,798,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenB View Post
No, Aurora would not be considered a "nice place" if you put it in Ohio or Alabama. How ignorant are you? Have you even been to Ohio or Alabama? Maybe if they uprooted you and put you in West Virginia you would be considered "intelligent." (Sorry W. Virginians)

Maybe you need to open your eyes and drive down Colfax, which runs all the way through Denver. Or take a drive by the trailer parks in Thornton, the industrial plants in Commerce City, and the neighborhoods of Montbello and Federal Heights. These aren't bad areas?

I HAVE to set this straight. Obviously you don't know much about similar sized cities in Ohio and Alabama.

Lets compare:

Aurora-300,000 people, 28 murders in 2005, crime index of 459

Akron Ohio-210,000, 27 murders, index 466
Cincinnati Ohio-308,000, 79 murders, index 688
Cleveland Ohio-452,000, 109 murders, index 734
Dayton Ohio-158,000, 32 murders, index 655
Toledo Ohio-301,000, 28 murders, index 709
Youngstown Ohio-82,000, 34 murders, index 642

Birmingham Alabama-231,000, 104 murders, index 803
Huntville Alabama-166,000, 22 murders, index 573
Montgomery Alabama-200,000, 29 murders, index 557

Not to mention that almost all of these cities have consitently seen negative population growth in previous years. Home values fall almost always, and the economy of these areas suck.

Even the nicest places have trailor parks too, so you can't use that as a guide for a good area.

I know you can't use the crime index in this forum as a end all for the amount of crime in a city, but you can use it as a general guide. I mean cities under 100,000 in Ohio that have more crime than Aurora, come on...

Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Default and just one more thing...

just can't let one last comment go without posting...

this 'water hogging' crap is way too old, too.

somewhere in the mid-late '90's the state of colorado, and possibly other cronies/towns/water districts/??? (i don't remember exactly, it was all over the news and can be researched in archive pretty easily, i'm sure) made some huge selloff of colorado fresh water supplies.

i'm thinking the ark valley water supply was tied in somehow (and please, don't bother flattering yourself anymore with the hope that someday the poor, poor, farmers can move to "town" - let alone i'm assuming you mean after they give up the last of THEIR water to you all and your lawns; i'm sure they'd rather dehydrate and fly off in the wind, thank you!).

i want to say they sold to arizona...

THIS is the entire front range and EASTERN COLORADO's water problems, not hoggy aurora.

i don't know where the 'metro area/front range' gets off thinking they are the ONLY PEOPLE in this stinking state???

do you know how nauseous it makes us to watch denver news and hear you all titillating about the potential run off from snow pack, and how you may be able to "water your lawns green" this or that year?

oh, and of course, let's not forget this is for your $200,000+ home requirements... oooh, could it be that pesky better-than-income-mentality again???

do you realize this is OUR WATER TOO? the entire eastern half of the state is supplied from snow pack natural run off, underground streams fed in and along the way?

i lost (gave up, actually, completely) my lawn in about 2001 when the drought was so bad out here (trust me, you all don't know how to spell 'drought').

the wild, old, old yuccas that spot our pastures and fields have been dying (actually drying up, dying and being kicked out and eaten by cattle) out here since then.

if you're not familiar, yuccas have this ??? incredibly deep root system that goes straight down into the depths of the earth into our water supplies. this is typically how "high plains desert" (yeah, that's actually what this area's geography is classified as, long ago-not recent) and low-arrid-desert plants grow so they can withstand no surface water. this is why they are virtually impossible to kill...

except during a "drought" (okay-one last: new millenium pollitical english for "your country is killing you by killing your planet's atmosphere and the sun is eating you alive") when OUR, yeah, the ones God gave US, underground water supplies are being stressed by "nature" and YOUR f'ing lawns!

for what it is worth i, and most all of the property owners out here OWN, yeah, we even own our water under our properties! imagine that...

i am in the country about 30 miles se of limon and have one of the deepest, strongest wells in the county. we had about 4" of moisture TOTAL at my house in 02; for the entire f'ing YEAR!

i had to hear night after night about your poor lawns and how it was hurting your new construction so much it scared me off my well! i'm not an idiot, i know maybe 1/2 of you all follow restrictions and the rest sneak or boldly water your f'ing lawns at will!

i decided we were on must use (household) water only because, well...

remember the 'better than' theory... obviously my drinking water, bathing water, toilet water, dog's water, laundry, cleaning and basic use water does not RANK AS HIGH UP AS YOUR LAWNS!!!

the entire FRONT RANGE hoggs all the water from not only eachother, equally; you all hog the water from us, severly...

do you know eastern/rural colorado has a term for itself to disassociate with the pompous bs mentalities and popular persona's of the front range and mountainous colorado? they call themselves "The Other Colorado"...

trust me highlands ranch, you're way outnumbered! you're just another spicket on the aquafer...

perhaps, to disassociate yourself, or just feel better while your sitting on your basic, green, only somewhat-lovely, lawn in your back yard next to your pool down the road from the club house this summer, you could call yourself "the other new-Aurora"...

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or