U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,275 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am Chris who is from the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Being a single 32 yr old white male, changes in my life may be abound. I resided in this area near the DFW airport most of my life. Looking for a change, Denver is among my list of destinations for possible relocation.

For anyone who would like to take the time, I would greatly appreciate your help. Please tell me why I should choose Denver over staying in the DFW area. Or, perhaps why I should not choose Denver. All the pros and cons are out there online. What I am looking for is those who would like to either tell me why I should or should not come to Denver. What would I stand to gain or lose should this decision be made.

Thanks Very Much,

Lifetime DFW resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,731,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbigharo32 View Post
Hello, I am Chris who is from the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Being a single 32 yr old white male, changes in my life may be abound. I resided in this area near the DFW airport most of my life. Looking for a change, Denver is among my list of destinations for possible relocation.

For anyone who would like to take the time, I would greatly appreciate your help. Please tell me why I should choose Denver over staying in the DFW area. Or, perhaps why I should not choose Denver. All the pros and cons are out there online. What I am looking for is those who would like to either tell me why I should or should not come to Denver. What would I stand to gain or lose should this decision be made.

Thanks Very Much,

Lifetime DFW resident
If you want us to take our time to tell you whether or not you should choose Denver, first you need to tell us about yourself. Right now you're just an anonymous screen name we know nothing about on an anonymous online forum. For starters, what is it you're looking for in a city, what are you trying to avoid, what are your interests, what is it you do for a living, what are your comfort tolerances when it comes to weather, which football team is your favorite ... at least these things for starters.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,921,303 times
I agree with vegaspilgrim - why or why not to move somewhere depends on your personal factors. There are a ton of reasons why I think people might like Denver but my list may vary greatly from your own personal wants, needs and desires. If you want the pros, check out the Denver's Chamber of Commerce and Vistor's Center sites...they will put all kinds of fluff.

Look around the various threads here and see the pros and cons then come back or post in those threads specific questions or concerns.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 PM

164 posts, read 530,196 times
I'm 33, white, male, and can tell you that denver will meet all your needs. Just have faith, and it will all work out.

The best reason: you are in danger of becoming a DFW townie and why not go somewhere else and see what happens. Dallas won't fall off the map and you might even beat the odds. Besides, you're not getting any younger....so do it already!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 AM

26 posts, read 74,927 times
It's got 'large city' appeal, and is at the base of the Rocky Mountains. What else more could you need? (Besides a beach).

Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 AM

46 posts, read 186,420 times
Default Denver

Being a young single male might be a factor in your move to MENver. If you come here it's required u bring 3 single females.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,985,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmarko View Post
It's got 'large city' appeal, and is at the base of the Rocky Mountains. What else more could you need? (Besides a beach).
I like the relative compactness of the city compared to where I'm from. Denver's got all the big city stuff when you could ever want (pro sports, museums, ethnic restaurants, etc), yet the quiet suburbs a short drive or train ride away.

And the beach is overrated. The only way to get anything out of the beach is to live there (SUPER expensive and cramped unless you're a movie star or pro athlete), live on a hill above it to get a view (also SUPER expensive) or go there (super crowded in the summer). You can't own a $250k tract house in the suburbs and get a view of it off the back deck like you can with the Rockies.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:43 AM

26 posts, read 74,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I like the relative compactness of the city compared to where I'm from. Denver's got all the big city stuff when you could ever want (pro sports, museums, ethnic restaurants, etc), yet the quiet suburbs a short drive or train ride away.

And the beach is overrated. The only way to get anything out of the beach is to live there (SUPER expensive and cramped unless you're a movie star or pro athlete), live on a hill above it to get a view (also SUPER expensive) or go there (super crowded in the summer). You can't own a $250k tract house in the suburbs and get a view of it off the back deck like you can with the Rockies.
Totally agree with you. I'm not a fan of the beach either. I've lived like 3 hours away from the beach for 15 years and have gone twice. lol. I much prefer the mountains. I only brought up the beach because many people are keen towards it.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

We lived 8 miles from the beach in Orange County for 9 years and probably didn't go to the beach 3 times in the last 5 years we lived there. Too hard to get there, no parking, overcrowded, etc. I see more of the beach now that I live in Denver because I have to go work in our Huntington Beach office once per quarter and always stay at the Hilton on PCH.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
OTOH, I love the beach! To each his/her own! When we lived in Delaware, we went to the beach a lot, and it was a several hour drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or