U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 AM

7 posts, read 37,164 times

Advertisements

Does anyone has reviews on the Poet's Row Apts off of Sherman St. ? Would you consider this a nice area to live or unsafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,734,353 times
It's a very safe to live. I lived there for years. It's youngish though, around the 20 something crowd or younger. Hopefully it's still not run by the evil mgmt. company Triton. If so, be a little wary of them. You can also get apts. that are right in that area owned privately or by other mgmt. companies. Just walk around with a pen and paper and start calling numbers from the signs you see! Good luck.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 91,304 times
Hey! I used to live at 1025 Sherman while attending the Art Institute of Colorado. While living there ... I also worked there (Triton) for 3 or 4 months. I was a leasing agent. The management seemed fine. They were quick with attending to resident issues/complaints ... that sort of stuff. Gave you a receipt when you paid your rent ... that sort of thing.

Now, as for safety ... meh. I moved because there was a shooting there about one week after I moved in. Supposedly, a group of people left a club down there and decided to shoot at someone that was running either away from them or a random person. The two cars parked in front of my car were shot up and there was a TON of damage done to them.

There were also shots fired on New Years.

Another issue is parking! I drove around for two hours one Friday night looking for parking. And no, this is NOT an exaggeration.

The nightlife is great though. If you are into clubs, and going out late at night. The place is great. Restaurants, close to transportation, museums, ... etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 37,164 times
I am 24 & will be attending school at the Auraria campus. So I am trying to find a good area to live in. I have just been looking at Craigslist. It's hard because I dont live in Colorado so I only have pictures to base it off of. Capitol Hill area seems the cheapest for a studio or 1 bedroom, I know to stay away from Colfax, but I wasn't sure which other streets were not so good.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Ahh. What about the Wheatridge area? There are bus routes from there to Denver. And Wheatridge is safer. Not as close to nightlife though. Older neighborhood. The stuff in the "Golden Triangle" is kind of harsh. Same as cap hill. I have pictures of my apartment I lived in ... but, my website is down and so, I cannot send them to you. :\

Old 06-29-2009, 02:22 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,041,220 times
Quote:
know to stay away from Colfax, but I wasn't sure which other streets were not so good
Colfax is fine. Anyone who tells you otherwise likely lives in suburbia. It is in fact the heart of the city and if you end up living in Cap Hill you will eventually realize you spend most of your time at places on Colfax and understand the stupidity of those who say stay away from it.

Then again I would not suggest living over Smiley's laundromat on Colfax..

Poets row is a nice area for rentals. I know a guy who has lived there for a few years. Parking can be a PITA, residents can get a sticker to avoid tickets for overnight parking. Drunk idiots pooring out of the church on weekend nights can be quite a bit of entertainment.

Quote:
What about the Wheatridge area?
Might as well move to Wyoming.

Quote:
The stuff in the "Golden Triangle" is kind of harsh.
Huh? Quite the opposite actually.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Wheatridge ... compared to Wyoming. Naw. There is no night life, and it is mostly cotton tops... but, pricing is ok. For what you get price wise is way better than Denver.

Ooh ... Smileys ... HAHA. Yeah. I had to show those a few times. GROSS place. Ick!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,517,753 times
Colfax and Broadway are two of the most active business streets in Denver, so only avoid them for the noise traffic and parking. The shooting were very random and isolated. They can happen any where or in any city. Check a little deeper into Capitol Hill. I have two nieces attending Metro and live on the Hill, as do I. Been here for over 20 years and crime is not bad at all. You will laugh about the histeria shown in these posts, espeically those who don't actually live in Denver. In fact, most who post here don't live here but have major opinions about it.

Student housing can be expensive for what you get, but look into it as there has been some new buildings on campus on the west end and check the prices for the off campus housing. If you need to rent, check into the following neighborhoods, Baker, Capitol Hill, Golden Triangle, Uptown, Highlands, Governor's Park, City Park south, Park Hill south. Poet's Row has parking issues and noise traffic but is fine for a short bus ride, walk to bike ride to the campus. It is traditionally students who live in this area and rent, not really for the long term renter or who settling in. You can always do six month leases to make sure you have the opportunity to move if need to.

Best wishes with your future journey!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,734,353 times
Hey digital, no personal offense meant to you. Unless you are the owner of Triton. Just working for them doesn't count. Above the leasing agent role the company conducted quite the shady biz. I can't say much more other than I do have personal knowledge.

Parking, omg, yes. That's one good, reasonable complaint I'd say.

And totally agree with DenverAztec. The shooting was totally isolated. I lived all around that area for years and years and it's very, very safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalputty View Post
Hey! I used to live at 1025 Sherman while attending the Art Institute of Colorado. While living there ... I also worked there (Triton) for 3 or 4 months. I was a leasing agent. The management seemed fine. They were quick with attending to resident issues/complaints ... that sort of stuff. Gave you a receipt when you paid your rent ... that sort of thing.

Now, as for safety ... meh. I moved because there was a shooting there about one week after I moved in. Supposedly, a group of people left a club down there and decided to shoot at someone that was running either away from them or a random person. The two cars parked in front of my car were shot up and there was a TON of damage done to them.

There were also shots fired on New Years.

Another issue is parking! I drove around for two hours one Friday night looking for parking. And no, this is NOT an exaggeration.

The nightlife is great though. If you are into clubs, and going out late at night. The place is great. Restaurants, close to transportation, museums, ... etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 PM

No offense. I was irritated with them ... cause, I gave them my two weeks notice (written letter) and the same day they said, "We didn't need you anyway." ... so, ugh. ;P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or