Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times

Advertisements

This is the highest cannabis using state ( no one knew that )..who cares..Let's focus on hard drugs,violent crime,and the poor economy. I'm so over ignorant people ranting on the dangers of marijuana. It's not harmless, but it's not endangering society either. However every now and then the stoners may get restless and way out of line when they head to taco bell for the latest item on the value meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
This is the highest cannabis using state ( no one knew that )..who cares..Let's focus on hard drugs,violent crime,and the poor economy. I'm so over ignorant people ranting on the dangers of marijuana. It's not harmless, but it's not endangering society either. However every now and then the stoners may get restless and way out of line when they head to taco bell for the latest item on the value meal.
That's what I don't get about this thread...it's not like you have people on every single street corner trying to con you into shooting up heroin or something...
A bunch of people tokin it up at their house doesn't affect anybody except them and maybe their friends.
Generally drug-related crime can be found when one seeks it ala trying to score.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM

128 posts, read 437,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
Great answers here. I'm not so much against occasional use of pot, however, I was just making sure this city didn't have like 90% of regular pot users.
And so what if it did? When was the last time you saw a bunch of potheads running rampant committing crimes? Just don't get in their way for munchies and you're fine

But seriously...what are they going to do? Sit in their home and play video games, music, and BS while leaving you alone? Be careful, they may even be friendly and invite you over for some BBQ.

There are a LOT of pot smokers here and if that bothers you you really should look for another place to call home.

Scott, that Taco Bell bit had me laughing pretty hard, thanks!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Most people in Denver (educated and uneducated) are liberal. Denver voters went 77% for Obama in 2008 - higher than Boulder even. My friend group is almost entirely well educated people who live in Denver (school teachers, lawyers, post-doc scientists, grad students) and a good many of them smoke pot 2 or 3 times a week.
Rama-Boy, do you have any good friends who smoke dope that are doctors, airline pilots or heavy equipment operators?

Just give the rest of us a heads-up so we have a chance in hell to steer clear of your law-abiding, socially responsible intellect friends...
what BS!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 AM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Rama-Boy, do you have any good friends who smoke dope that are doctors, airline pilots or heavy equipment operators?

Just give the rest of us a heads-up so we have a chance in hell to steer clear of your law-abiding, socially responsible intellect friends...
what BS!!!
It's raman, not rama.

Actually, my father, a retired Navy and commercial airline pilot, has mentioned to me several times about how many of his pilot friends (this was at the old Frontier Airlines based here in Denver) use to go up skiing together and spoke pot while on the slopes. He said that pretty much ended in 1986 when they started mandatory drug testing for pilots. And yes, I know more than one doctor who, on occasion, does smoke pot (once a week on a Friday night kind of deal). I've also known a doctor I would consider an alcoholic. And in case you're curious, I don't smoke pot.

Last edited by ramanboy33; 07-18-2009 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM

224 posts, read 559,558 times
Default I know a couple too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
It's raman, not rama.

Actually, my father, a retired Navy and commercial airline pilot, has mentioned to me several times about how many of his pilot friends (this was at the old Frontier Airlines based here in Denver) use to go up skiing together and spoke pot while on the slopes.
I know two, shall we say, "high achievers" who regularly indulge. One's a child psychologist (who sees patients) and one a high-profile sports / celeb lawyer.

I haven't smoked for many years, but I wish I could. It just makes me lethargic now.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM

128 posts, read 437,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post

what BS!!!
Did he say they did it on the job? If not what does it matter? I'd rather have a doctor or pilot get stoned off their butt the night before they have to do their job rather than go out and get drunk and have a hangover during work. I know the company I used to work, in a professional division, for lost a LOT of productivity during the week because of some people coming in with hangovers...sure, they showed up (ok, some didn't even show up at times) but they were just taking up space and not getting much done other than sitting in their office with the door closed and nursing a headache. On the other hand, the smokers who would get stoned the night before ALWAYS showed up and were able to do just as good of work as any other time. Yet I knew a couple who were busted during randoms who lost their jobs because they simply did not like alcohol and preferred MJ (newsflash: not everyone likes alcohol and not everyone likes to be sober 100% of the time. Maybe when pot is legalized we should make alcohol illegal again just to prove a few points)...even though their work performance was better and their attendance was better than the drinkers. Doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint now does it?

It is people like you who are going to be in for a very nasty surprise when it is legalized one day and all the closet smokers can actually admit to doing it without fear of legal reprimand. People such as yourself believe the fallacy that all pot smokers are idiots and that it makes every person who uses it stupid (ala Cheech and Chong). Sadly nothing could be further from the truth just like drinking alcohol does not make every drinker an alcoholic who has killed almost every brain cell and can longer form coherent sentences. Maybe your personal experience with smokers has been as I described, all turned out to be losers in some way or another, can't blame you for thinking that way.

On the other hand all the people you know who are successful I would bet a serious wad of cash that at least a quarter of them (if not more) smoke and don't tell you about it because they know your opinion of it. I even know smokers who will make fun of stereotypical stoners around their non-smoking friends/coworkers just to fit in and make themselves appear more "normal". Heck, even smokers like to make jokes about that stereotype because it IS funny although it does have a negative image associated with it. People are not always who they seem to be, everyone knows that...so don't be surprised if that stand-up pillar of the community you admire is actually a smoker behind closed doors. But please...feel free to keep thinking that pot makes every user stupid and unable to perform their job correctly the next day while sober. I like to watch peoples' reactions when their world views are suddenly shattered...and that day IS coming, like it or not

Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,482,476 times
Quote:
I know folks that fit all three of those qualifications. Add to the list dentists, optomotrists, lawyers, school teachers, school counselers, engineers, etc.

-Steve (who just got a neat new vaporizor for uh tobacco)

Old 07-23-2009, 06:33 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
I know folks that fit all three of those qualifications. Add to the list dentists, optomotrists, lawyers, school teachers, school counselers, engineers, etc.

-Steve (who just got a neat new vaporizor for uh tobacco)
hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver