Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM

19 posts, read 78,934 times

Advertisements

Aurora is a huge city for being a suburb. Parts of it are good and bad, but it's definitely an influential area. Have to say it has a pretty bad reputation among Denver residents, however. This is due to the fact that it's associated with crime, poverty, and violence. It's so incredibly big though, that different areas have their own unique conditions.

- South/South-East Aurora is pretty close to suburbia, look-alike houses, manicured lawns, not much diversity in people, landscape, or anything. It's a pretty good place to live, but it's really far away from anything actually IN the city. They ARE close to DTC though, which has popped up as a mini-downtown to supplement for being so far away from the skyscrapers of Denver.

- Central Aurora has an increased crime rate, but is still a middle-class area with relative proximity to Denver and is where the Aurora City Center is.

-North Aurora, oh wow. This is the oldest part of the city. It's also very ignored, and it's what gives the entire city a bad name. The area called "North Aurora" goes from the Denver-Aurora line all the way to Chambers in the east, and Colfax avenue in the south. It stretches north about 35 blocks from Colfax. It's primarily Hispanic and AA, unlike the rest of Aurora. The area around Colfax and Peoria intersection is notorious for shootings and other violent crime. However, a little to the east in this same 'hood is Fitzsimmons Medical center, which has definitely improved the surrounding areas. This part can still be considered "ghetto" though, and west of Fitzsimmons is probably an area rivalling the slums of the East coast. Sadly.

But yes Aurora is very diverse depending on what part! It doesn't have the big city feel or sights of Denver at all, and just feels like a big sprawl, whether it's golfer country or gang country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosho303 View Post
This part can still be considered "ghetto" though, and west of Fitzsimmons is probably an area rivalling the slums of the East coast. Sadly.
Noooot quite. In fact, none of Denver's "ghettos" can compare to East coast cities' truly depressed, dangerous areas. Well, maybe Chicago too.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
There is no area in the Denver Metro area that rivals the slums of the East Coast.
I can attest to the fact that East Colfax was worse years ago but still not a rival for a east coast slum.

I was a big walker when I was younger, when I came to Denver. About 25-30 years ago I decided to just walk East from Downtown to Aurora on East Colfax, during the day. It was---well, interesting but I did not feel threatened. I ate my way east; met many "working woman"; went into some strange shops; passed some people staggering and going for a stroll; ate some more; stopped at a diner; had some pizza; a burrito---and finally got to Aurora--went to some second-hand stores--had something more to eat---and then took the bus, burbing on the way back to downtown. Yea, it was good experience.

Now, you are all going to say--well, it was not at night. Got you fooled there---did the night walk, a few years latter---no sweat and the food was better. but alas it was starting to be "cleaned"and many of the "working woman" were no more.

Livecontent

Old 08-06-2009, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
Default what is the official southeast aurora/east centennial boundary?

I tend to think that the boundary is east of parker rd, south of quincy ave, and north of the douglas county line and includes the zip codes of 80016 and 80015, but some have different opinions on what is "southeast aurora/centennial". does anybody know any official boundary and the zip codes it includes?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymr95 View Post
I tend to think that the boundary is east of parker rd, south of quincy ave, and north of the douglas county line and includes the zip codes of 80016 and 80015, but some have different opinions on what is "southeast aurora/centennial". does anybody know any official boundary and the zip codes it includes?
http://www.centennialcolorado.com/Do...ew.asp?DID=702

80015 and 80016.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymr95 View Post
that's roughly how I think of it, but heck, what do I know?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,541 times
My son is moving to Aurora in 2 weeks to intern at the Children's Hospital lab. He's considering Silverbrook Apts at 15403 East 1st Ave, Aurora. We can see it on the internet but it really says nothing about the area. Are these transient type apartments or is it a reasonably safe area? Does anybody have a suggestion on any other 2 bedroom apts? Are there areas to avoid?
Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 78,934 times
Pdubbeld-

The area you mentioned is perfectly safe. As far as areas in Aurora, I would generally steer clear of a few specific areas in North Aurora- all of these areas are north of Colfax which is pretty far away from what you're talking about. Aurora in general is safe except for theft-it's probably a bigger problem than in (much of) Denver. North Aurora is the only place you might need to watch out about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver