Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 19,549 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering a home in Bradburn subdivision in Westminster, CO. We've driven past the home and through the sub several times, and were very surprised when we drove through yesterday and saw that a community playground structure on 117th had been burned down. As we drove closer, we saw the signs on the safety fence indicating that it was an arson and there is a reward.

I've done several searches and can only find the YouTube
video that a Bradburn resident (presumably?) uploaded. I would like to know more information about this unfortunate crime, as we are very interested in a home in Bradburn that is very close to that playground and a crime of this nature concerns me greatly.

Can anyone provide additional information, or direct me to a news link (which I've been unable to find)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
Hi,

I live in Bradburn. Yes, that video was taken by a resident. The play structure was a very tall (about 15-20 foot) wooden structure which was destroyed by arson last week around 2:30 a.m. The police are investigating and are offering a reward, so far they haven't told us if they've found anything.

The milk delivery man called the fire in and the police and firetrucks arrived about 5 minutes later. They put the fire out within a few minutes but the structure is a total loss. The structure will not be rebuilt and the residents are having a meeting to decide what to do with that space--most likely that section it will become a very nice park with flower beds and (non flammable ) benches.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

The reason you haven't seen a news link is because no one has covered the story, I don't know why.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 14,708 times
Hi there,
Wonderful that you're considering Bradburn; I hope you don't read too much into this fire. We've lived here for 5 yrs (near the park), and this is the first time anything like this has happened. The firemen told us that this is the second park structure that has been torched recently. I think the other was in Broomfield. It's infuriating, but highly unusual for our neighborhood. Please stop by again and talk to any of the neighbors around the park if you have concerns. You'll find we're a friendly bunch

Old 07-19-2009, 11:59 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,759 times
The Denver area isn't really known for arsons. It sounds like there is somebody who's getting a thrill in buring these wood playground structures as they're pretty easy to burn and run from and there is little risk of hurting or killing somebody this at night. Seems more of a 'there happened to be one in the neighborhood' rather than a problem with the neighborhood. I agree with the other posters - don't let this deter you from that neighborhood. Could've and sounds like it is happening anywhere with similar structures.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 19,549 times
Thanks for all the input; sounds like this was just a random crime that happened to occur in Bradburn. FWIW, it isn't deterring us from Bradburn. I guess we were just so surprised to see the charred remains that questions started going hrough our heads.

It's almost too bad that this crime hasn't been publicized in the media; almost wonder if the idiot(s) who did this would be dumb enough to brag about it, too....and if the media picked up the story, maybe there'd be a better chance of someone tattling so the perpetrators can get caught. Or maybe that's wishful thinking...

Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 17,675 times
any chance they would consider putting in something similar to the playground in Stapleton? That is "hand-down" the coolest play structure I have ever seen!

Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
I know their playgrounds are AWESOME!! We can't afford it though. We will be putting in something playgroundwise but it won't be as grand as what Stapleton has. There is a great city park/playground just a little west and south of Bradburn, Westfield Village Park:

Westfield Village Park - City of Westminster, Colorado (http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/190_1558.htm - broken link)

This park is about a 10-15 minute walk from most houses in Bradburn and has great playground equipment.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 15,366 times
I am a Realtor in the Westminster area as well as a resident and I can tell you from both sides that Bradburn is a really great area. We have friends in the neighborhood and it has always seemed a very safe, friendly neighborhood where everyone knows each other. It has a very close knit feel and I am confident that the recent playground issue was an event that could have happened anywhere. From a real estate stand point, it is a desirable and sought after neighborhood where homes hold their value. Best wishes in your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver