U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM

45 posts, read 96,392 times

Advertisements

On our way to Minneapolis, we'll be stopping in Denver. Will it be hard to breathe? Will there at least be a difference in the air?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,425,096 times
Not unless you have a serious medical condition.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM

569 posts, read 1,617,779 times
OP--you might get winded a little easier but unless you're planning on stopping and then doing hike up to 15,000 feet it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-24-2009 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM

512 posts, read 1,840,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpalincal View Post
On our way to Minneapolis, we'll be stopping in Denver. Will it be hard to breathe? Will there at least be a difference in the air?

Thanks.
You might notice a little difference if you are just visiting for the day. If you moved here, there would be some adjustment. If you are not doing anything strenuous, you might not notice it at all. Just drink a lot of water and keep some Advil on hand for possible headaches.
Are you going to be doing anything involving strenuous work? Enjoy your stay here.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:00 PM

356 posts, read 970,785 times
No. You may feel a little more out of breath after some stairs or something but you will get used to it

Old 07-25-2009, 02:01 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,607,634 times
Truth be told, the aridity here is normally more of a culprit for the lightheadedness some feel that our elevation, which at 5280 feet is really not very high. Although lately, we've had unusually wet weather so that may not be much of a factor either.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:06 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,199,544 times
Only if you have a problem with high altitude, which most people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpalincal View Post

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:05 PM

45 posts, read 100,714 times
I have asthma and grew up in Colorado but I have never really had too much difficulty. In fact when I was a kid I went to camp in the mountains specifically for kids that had asthma, so unless you have some kind of medical condition you should be fine.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoRuMRideR420 View Post
No. You may feel a little more out of breath after some stairs or something but you will get used to it
We moved from sea level (Florida) to Denver 2 years ago and I remember it well. My family is in decent shape. We do exercise but are hardly Olympians. When we moved here, we used to laugh because just climbing stairs would make us winded. We used to leave piles at the bottom and bring them upstairs ONLY if we were going up for another reason. It now seems funny as I go up and down the stairs probably a hundred times a day.

My family came a few weeks ago for a visit and they are from Washington state. They noticed the change immediately (and even more so when we went to the mountains), especially my Grandpa who has a heart condition. He walks every day for exercise but found himself having to really take it easy when we walked around in Denver.

The biggest thing you'll probably notice is that you'll have a headache. You must drink water (and probably more than you think necessary). Depending on your fitness level (and probably even then), you will notice that it takes a little more effort to do simple things (climbing stairs/walking uphill). That only lasts for a while and eventually your body just gets used to it and you will function like you normally do.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:29 PM

461 posts, read 836,499 times
No. Honestly, I did some considerable hiking near Boulder and didn't even feel anything. I guess it depends on your physical condition though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver