Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,375 times

Advertisements

This probably *is* narcissistic, hedonistic and selfish, but I'd like to, ultimately, retire in a location which will be least likely to be flooded, due to global warming. Perhaps my thinking is foolish, in this regard, but as a writer and internet entrepreneur, I'd like to continue work without being sidetracked by massive disaster.

I do think it's okay to think this long term. It's not merely selfish, I think -- it's more like trying to be smart.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, is said to be one of the safest cities with respect to the least likely natural disasters; very few tornados (some, but extremely rare), floods, earthquakes, etc. But in terms of education, for me, SF is a dead end. No doctoral programs, no law school, and very high cost of living. There seems to be some social inequalities there which are very troubling.

I think Denver, for a musician, is a good choice. It is, after all, Suzuki ground zero, with a good two year program at DU, and summer classes of every sort at the Beaver Creek and Westminster locations. Nothing is quite so interesting to an established musician, as to view the development of young musicians. Cost of living and weather seems reasonable, by all reports.

No one is exempt, or entirely safe, from natural disasters, viruses, and human error, but Denver strikes me as the best choice.

Your thoughts?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 PM

291 posts, read 911,489 times
First of all forget about global warming. It's a bunch of crock and is an agenda pushed by the UN, as a way to get power by having another global treaty. The scientific community of Russia and now Japan has come to the same conclusion. Scientist with half a brain have pinned these historical warming/cooling trends on sun spot activity. Remember when the temperature went up in the 90's, which it did? Well, the temperature also increased on Mars. I wonder how much CO2 they were putting out during that time. Now they tell us we've actually been cooling for the last handful of years. Oh, and by the way, the sun spot activity has actually decreased during this latest change. That's why the nuts that support this are now calling it climate change, instead of global warming, because it's not warming presently.
For some fresh information on this topic go to www.swrc.org. Go to "broadcast" and look for some programs in July and June that deal with this subject.
I don't care where you live, just don't buy a home in my cul-de-sac.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Broadcast? ..in other words, I went to http://www.stroudcenter.org/ but don't see anything on there that says "broadcast," nor anything which appears to relate to the issue of climate change.

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 08-02-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 PM

You're right. It did come across as kinda harsh. The point I was making was that your views would be pretty contrarian as compared to myself and my neighbors. We're all pretty much in agreement about this global warming thing. None of us feel we should be trashing the environment, and we all recycle, but we don't like where our govenment is trying to take us with this Cap & Trade legislation.

Secondly, I'm impressed that you actually tried to look up the site I gave you. Most people claim they have an open mind, but when you present them with somewhere they could go to see a different view point, they don't follow through. That's because their minds really aren't open. Again, I apologize as I wrote it down wrong. It's .com not .org.

Lastly, Denver is a good place to live. Sorry, but I'm probably not in your age group or field of interest where I could be much more help than that. I do have a friend in his mid 50's that was once in a popular local band in the late 60's and early 70's, who has supported himself over the years entirely in the music business. I do know it hasn't always been easy for him, but he's doing what he loves. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 01:39 PM

Let's just drop it then; I'm not in favor of that point of view (religious). Not sure why you are so quick to anger, if your perspective is informed by religious views, but that's actually very, very common.

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 08-02-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 PM

As I said before, it's www.swrc.com (not .org, as I origianally stated). Click on Broadcast Schedules. From there it will bring up current month, which has July & August. The July broadcast are July 16 & 17th. There are another series of five shows that was run on May 4th thru 8th. You'll have to click on the archived shows for 2009 and then go to May to listen to them.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:28 PM

>> I don't care where you live, just don't buy a home in my cul-de-sac.

This doesn't sound like a terribly effective thing for a real estate agent to say.

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 08-02-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bckr View Post
First of all forget about global warming. It's a bunch of crock and is an agenda pushed by the UN, as a way to get power by having another global treaty. The scientific community of Russia and now Japan has come to the same conclusion. Scientist with half a brain have pinned these historical warming/cooling trends on sun spot activity. Remember when the temperature went up in the 90's, which it did? Well, the temperature also increased on Mars. I wonder how much CO2 they were putting out during that time. Now they tell us we've actually been cooling for the last handful of years. Oh, and by the way, the sun spot activity has actually decreased during this latest change. That's why the nuts that support this are now calling it climate change, instead of global warming, because it's not warming presently.
For some fresh information on this topic go to www.swrc.org. Go to "broadcast" and look for some programs in July and June that deal with this subject.
I don't care where you live, just don't buy a home in my cul-de-sac.
Please read the following:

Global warming deniers | Salon News

Climate change denial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cocktail Party Physics: klimate kerfuffle

And check out Phil Plait's book "Death From The Skies" for refutation of the "correlation" between solar cycles and planetary climate cycles.

Just because the media, who we know to be untrustworthy in pursuit of their next dollars over facts and research, proliferate terminology that "drums up debate", doesn't make it so. Scientists are not in the business of ideology but instead are far more concerned about "finding things out." Fact and observation beats speculation. This is not to say there aren't some bad apples out there, but the majority of scientists are in this because they are interested in how things really are, not how they want them to be.

I do not see catastrophic climate change of the kind shown in (fictional) films such as "The Day After Tomorrow" to be the problem we face. Climate change patterns have had very real and measurable effects thus far and will continue to do so if we do not actively temper behaviors that contribute to it.

With that said (and to try to cling to some vestige of the topic), no place is left "unaffected" by global climate change whether it's affected by humans or not, and Colorado is no exception. The effects will vary, but it is an incredibly complex system whose effects cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. Even nightly meteoroligists can only forecast the weather up to a certain point and then only with a certain percentage of accuracy. This is not intended to disrespect their own search for "how things work", but only to say that they are dealing with a complex system about which they know a lot more than most of us.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM

>> Climate change patterns have had very real and measurable effects thus far and will continue to do so if we do not actively temper behaviors that contribute to it.

zenkonami, thank you for your thoughtful and intelligent response. Climate change is not the only issue, of course. There is this notion that there may be a wider gap between the educated classes, and those less privileged.

One wants to survive, not just out of selfishness, but to preserve the things that one values. And not at the detriment of others, or disregarding the humanity of others.

So sometimes I like to think about what conditions may prevail 10, 20 or more years for now, and to somehow try to be prepared for that.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,576 times
Have you been accepted to DU at this point? Or Stanford? Or UT? I'm confused. All your posts make it sound like you're definitely making the move, buying maps that are on the way...but are you looking for a school to go to now, in 10 years, in 20 years? When you say you wish to retire to the Silicon Valley - are you retiring from a current career and going back to school for a new one? My mom did that when she was 50. But then you have a new job in TX. Sounds like life's pretty up in the air these days.

Anyway, my honest advice is that neither you nor anyone else can have a clue what's coming round the bend. I think if you waste too much time trying to find the perfect future, you miss what could be a really amazing present. You could move to the safest spot on earth and get hit by a bus the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver