Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:16 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In Boulder County, the Subaru has to be white.
That is what I heard from someone else but when I was there in Chautauqua park for a hike the other day, all subaru's (and there were plenty) were non-white. Is there a new policy ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
That is what I heard from someone else but when I was there in Chautauqua park for a hike the other day, all subaru's (and there were plenty) were non-white. Is there a new policy ?
Hadn't heard about it. I have several neighbors with white Subarus. Oh, well, times change!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 PM

224 posts, read 559,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The "jerkiness" when going downhill indicates that the "tip-in" fuel point is a bit off. There's no jerkiness to the transmission, this is all from the engine not running smoothly. The solution could be as easy to fix as a new air filter and cleaning the intake airflow sensor.
When I noticed the jerkiness, immediately after purchasing the car, I took it back to Subaru and spent weeks and weeks dealing with it. They had Subaru techs (from corporate, not from this franchise) come and road test it, and the verdict was "works as designed". I wasn't happy about it, and they offered to take the car back if I would purchase the same model in an automatic transmission. I decided I could live with it. To this day it does it (only going downhill, and only in 2nd gear) and I've had it factory-serviced twice. Cie la vie.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
FlatIrons in Boulder where I purchased my Subaru sells more volume than any other dealer in the country, at least that was the case last fall. I would personally invest in the 3.0+ series models if considering an Outback purchase. The extra stamina,power on Colorado's. steep inclines is very impressive. I had some unsteady motion a few years back when heading down hill at high speeds..example 170 coming down from the tunnel down into Silverthorne, but the Subaru techs
worked on my intake flow( like sunsprit discussed). and remedied the problem. I have heard of other issues with transmission/intake flow issues like the poster's above describe,but I believe these defects are typically in the minority.
I am personally going to get another Subaru when my old one is in need of replacing..the positives far outweigh the negatives in my own experiences. You see so many Subaru's in Colorado for a reason.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM

36 posts, read 106,480 times
We rented one and it had a shift point right at 65 when you factored in the elevation on I-70
(a 2008 Outback I4 with 4EAT)

get the third pedal and a turbo

Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I had an Impreza wagon and I road-tripped it everywhere. Confident and comfy with basic amenities. Nowadays you can option up Subarus with a lot more gizmos and stuff than the 2002 model I had. As for room, the ex and I had no problems carrying camping equipment for a week, plus room for two beagles, and I think the Impreza wagon has (had -- they don't make the Impreza wagon any more) the least cargo room of the wagon-based Subarus available back then, which included the Legacy wagon, Impreza wagon, and the forester.

One final suggestion: since you plan on driving through the mountains, get a turbo-equipped car. Normally-aspirated cars can have a hard time breathing up in the thin air, especially small engines like 4-cylinders (and most Suburus are 4-cylinders). A turbocharger makes that problem go away.

Last edited by Drover; 08-16-2009 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,533 times
I had a Forester Turbo for 3 years, bought new. I live in NY & my Colorado family had a grand time busting on me for buying one - told me they always knew I was a hippie. I didn't realize the hold & reputation Subies have in Colorado until I drove out 2 summers ago. Strangers stopped me in parking lots as I was walking from the car to ask about the Turbo feature. Also, a few people said the back seats were not comfy for long trips as the backs don't recline....

It was the best car I ever had for any kind of weather conditions. The turbo feature was great for merging onto the highways out here - getting your speed up ASAP is important. But you do have to use a higher grade fuel w/ a turbo; so the savings in MPG is offset by the higher cost per gallon. I had to trade it in for a vehicle better suited to my business & feel I got a good deal on the trade-in.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 AM

366 posts, read 1,373,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
FlatIrons in Boulder where I purchased my Subaru sells more volume than any other dealer in the country,.
They dont even sell the most in the Denver metro. Burt (now Groove) sells more than them and so does hueberger in the Springs....

Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM

468 posts, read 523,650 times
When I lived in Denver I drove a 1997 legacy wagon, and really liked it. Did great in the snow. That car is still going, in another state. I just got a 2009 outback, and I love it, especially the extra ground clearance. The suspension and ride feel very nice. I agree with those who say get the third pedal. If you don't, an upgraded engine is probably a good idea.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM

118 posts, read 403,467 times
Back when I was looking in '04, I also liked the idea of an AWD car, and was looking at the Outback Sport. Turned out the insurance rate was pretty ridiculous for the Subaru. After looking around more, the Honda CRV actually caught my eye. I'm still very happy with the '05 AWD CRV EX. Just throwing out an alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver