Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2006, 09:09 AM

16 posts, read 58,028 times

Advertisements

I will be in Denver next Thursday and will probably only have 1/2 of a day during this trip to actually drive around and see Denver. I am coming there for an interview in Wheat Ridge, and if all goes well, will be moving to Denver within two months. What are some areas of Denver that I should make a point of seeing? I mostly want to get a good feel for the overall Denver population. Also, what area in Denver is a good area to look for a hotel in, given that my interview is in Wheat Ridge? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 10:44 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
May not be enough time but my favorite place to visit in Colorado is not real well known. Mt. Evans. It is West of Denver and is the highest paved road in the U.S. I grew up going up Mt. Evans every year on our summer vacations. There used to be a building at the peak but it got struck by lightening and burned before they could do anything about it. There is a base w/ a shop and restaurant. The road up is not near as bad as I remember. The animals almost expect to be fed and come right up to the car. The temp at the top is WAY cooler than the base and you may see patches of snow. The views are BEAUTIFUL!!! Nothing like it anywhere else in the U.S.

If you have the time this is a MUST to check out. I took my husband up there a few years ago and he has been impressed ever since. I'm all for the natural sights to see and visit over the manmade stuff.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:08 AM

momof2dfw, thanks for the input. I have read another forum where a lot of people are giving negative feedback about the Denver area; saying the people are rude, it's very smoggy, hard to meet people. Has this been your experience?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I think people are nice here. There are motels all along i-70, look in Wheat Ridge, lakewood north of 6th ave, and maybe arvada up to 50th.

Scheduling play time is important when you come for a visit. What are your interests? Art? Animals? History? Money? Plants? Beer? Sports? Plan a walk on the 16th street mall downtown.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:52 PM

2bindenver: I have heard about the 16th street mall, so I may have to make a trip there. I am a huge animal lover, but I really just need to find a place that will give me an excellent reference for how the people in Denver truly are. I have heard so many mixed "reviews".

Old 07-14-2006, 02:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Go to Belmar Wadsworth & Alameda, wander around downtown denver, go to the zoo at 32nd and Colorado, walk around downtown golden (go west on 6th ave) go on the tour at Coors brewery.

I do not know of other forums that would badmouth Denver, so I will not speak of that.

I leave Thursday for a Women's Council of Realtor's Conference in Boise, but I'd be happy to leave a AAA Colorado book at my office for you, let me know.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 PM

I only pass thru Denver but have not had any bad experiences w/ anyone.

As for the smog, yes it does get smog. The reason being is that the pollution is trapped by the mountains on the West. One year we drove down to Denver to visit the Coors brewery and other sights and were cracking up about the weather reports. It was 98 degrees w/ hardly any humidity and everyone was complaining about the heat. Being from the Dallas area it seemed like a coolfront to us with no humidity and below 100.

All along 70 you will find plenty of hotels/motels. There is a Kingsoppers grocery store off if 70 that we stop at to buy lift tickets every year and then hit the Applejacks in the same parking lot. Applejacks is the largest beer/liquor store I have ever been in. You will find all of the trappings of a regular strip center shopping and eating in this area.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:43 PM

momof2dfw: How ironic is this? I am from Dallas and only moved away 4 years ago. How would you compare the people of Dallas to Denver?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Your name sounds WAY to familiar. Does JRBC mean anything to you???

Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 PM

momof2dfw: JRBC doesn't ring a bell, but I am curious. Feel free to email me privately if you would like. What part of Dallas do you live?
So how would you compare Dallas people to Denver people? I have very specific questions that would probably be best sent in a personal email, so if you are okay with that, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver