Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Also, how far do you have to go to get above tree-line, from Denver?

It is not easy, I am looking for an area with lots of trees but without a lot of rain. I like to have some sun, but partly cloudy days are the best, especially if it is cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoons. Thanks.
Seattle, WA.

Seriously. They get less rain than any east coast city, with only 35 inches per year. Seattle is in a rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. More than Denver (15 inches), but you get a lot more trees. Actually, if you want the absolute rain shadow of the Pacific Northwest, try Port Angeles, WA, just north of the Olympic Park. Probably not a very happening place in terms of social life, or anything. But John Elway is from there.

As for Denver, the Highline Canal is in the southern suburbs and in southeastern Denver, which are safe, and have plenty of trees of their own. Especially Littleton, Western Centennial, and southeastern Denver. The part of the Highline Canal that is in Aurora is proabably less safe.

I'd recommend looking up a map of the Highline Canal on the internet and then search for houses/apartments near there.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
FYI tree line is around 11,000' give or take a few hundred feet.
If you find a place with lots of trees rain is pretty much necessary to keep them alive
The weather in CO is typically the opposite of what you describe. We have lots and lots of sunny days. Sunny days sometimes turn cloudy in the afternoon, not the other way around.
It sounds like coastal California or Oregon would suit you.
Maybe too much rain.

Actually, she ought to look into San Francisco or points south. They get a lot less rain than northern California, or especially Oregon. Anything north of San Francisco is going to get a lot of rain. As in at least 60 inches a year, unless she finds herself in that strange little rain shadow of Seattle / Port Angeles.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Thank you all, now i am better informed about the neighborhoods of Denver.

So the air quality of Denver is significantly worse than Boulder? Because of the inversion?

Is the winter in Boulder milder than in Denver?

Thanks!
Not milder. Definitely windier. The major downsides of Boulder are a) costs b) wind. The wind probably makes the air quality a little better, though.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Not milder. Definitely windier. The major downsides of Boulder are a) costs b) wind. The wind probably makes the air quality a little better, though.
Not always . . . if high pressure is east of the Rockies, then SE Winds blow pollution into Boulder. Views up to Chautauqua Park are quite hazy under such conditions. However, not everyone is sensitive to outdoor air pollution. The West winds are a major issue for those who are sensitive to wind, but that's not everyone.

Quote:
Seattle, WA.

Seriously. They get less rain than any east coast city, with only 35 inches per year. Seattle is in a rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. More than Denver (15 inches), but you get a lot more trees.
Seattle and Portland are consistently ranked as a great place for singles. The problem with the rain is that it never clears up after each storm. A front will come through with heavy rain, and then it stays cloudy w/ Oceanic clouds for anywhere from one day to two weeks. On the east coast, it rains one day, and the next day is partly sunny or clear. The best weather in Seattle begins in March, and continues until the rainy season begins sometime in September or October. Many people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (Winter Depression) in Seattle.

Also, Seattle is mostly evergreen trees (Douglas Firs, etc.), not that many leafy trees (Oaks, Maples, etc.). So the fall color display is not dramatic and rather ephemeral.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
The part of the Highline Canal that is in Aurora is proabably less safe. .
No, actually, it's fine.

More Aurora hatin'.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:21 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Boulder is often a few degrees milder than most of the suburban metro for over night lows, the exception being Golden and some of the central Denver hoods. The wind issue in Boulder is usually more a factor south of Baseline, and north of Lee Hill . Central Boulder really isn't that much more windy than any other front range city. Polution seems to be a tad better in Boulder than most of the south metro. One thing surprising to me it how high the pollution index reads along the south metro.. places like Chatfield Res.

Last edited by Scott5280; 12-19-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
One thing surprising to me it how high the polution index reads along the south metro.. places like Chatfield Res.
Yeah, they must have the pollution testing device right in the path of car exhaust or something.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, they must have the pollution testing device right in the path of car exhaust or something.
Yes, in fact there is a testing station at Chattfield, and it has read substantially higher than Boulder on average for at least the last decade. First and University is probably the highest reading test sight that I'm aware of. Still Denver is getting better and better, as a kid I remember the Denver skyline was often obstructed by a thick ugly haze.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Yes, in fact there is a testing station at Chattfield, and it has read substantially higher than Boulder on average for at least the last decade. First and University is probably the highest reading test sight that I'm aware of. Still Denver is getting better and better, as a kid I remember the Denver skyline was often obstructed by a thick ugly haze.
Yep, when looking at the air pollution stats on the weather page of the Denver Post, Chatfield is usually one of the highest, if not THE highest.

I've only really seen Denver's smog/haze in the summer, and that was usually when I was somewhere far out like SE Aurora. I guess it's harder to see when you are close to/in it.

I haven't seen it get too bad here, probably since I grew up in Southern CA.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No, actually, it's fine.

More Aurora hatin'.
Not hating. Just know what I've heard about it. I've heard that Aurora Central is one of the roughest schools in the Denver area. I've heard the Aurora Mall has gangs. Doesn't the Highline go through those areas? Northern Aurora near Aurora Central is not a neighborhood I've ever gone to, nor ever wanted to go to. Nor would I ever recommend moving there for someone who's completely new to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver