Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 AM

3 posts, read 11,165 times

Advertisements

Hey so my fiance and I are planning to move to CO but I want to know out of these cities is the best place for a young married couple
-Arvada
-Wheat Ridge
-Littleton
-Commerce City
-Englewood
-Glendale
-Aurora
-Centennial
-Edgewater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:54 AM

11,813 posts, read 34,270,988 times
If work was not a consideration this would be my list in order of my definition of best. Mind you we know nothing of your likes, dislikes, job/commute, hobbies, etc...

-Littleton (DougCO, ArapCO, JeffCO)
-Centennial
-Arvada
-Englewood
-Wheat Ridge
-Aurora
-Edgewater
-Commerce City
-Glendale

Funny you mention Glendale, but not Denver and Lakewood is left out altogether.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 PM

54 posts, read 128,005 times
Default Could you fill in the blanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
If work was not a consideration this would be my list in order of my definition of best. Mind you we know nothing of your likes, dislikes, job/commute, hobbies, etc...

-Littleton (DougCO, ArapCO, JeffCO)
-Centennial
-Arvada
-Englewood
-Wheat Ridge
-Aurora
-Edgewater
-Commerce City
-Glendale

Funny you mention Glendale, but not Denver and Lakewood is left out altogether.
Hi, could you take a moment to elaborate on why you've listed these cities in this order ex..great downtown, a walkable city, great schools, environmentally proactive etc. For me schools are not a concern but I enjoy green parks, lakes and wide open spaces. I am definitely not a snow bunny but if it's gone in 48-72hrs. and comes with plenty of sunshine maybe it could work for me. I prefer 68-72 deg. and breezy.
Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,946,696 times
Commerce City?
YUCK!
NO way, IMO!
SOUTH Aurora and Parker.....OK.
Littleton.....OK
Glendale.....so so.
Centennial and Lone Tree....OK
Castle Rock.....OK
Lakewood.....depends but there are a lot of nice areas here.
Wheat Ridge and Arvada.....so so.
Edgewater......nope....not so much
And.... NOT Commerce City!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM

664 posts, read 2,057,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstress View Post
Hi, could you take a moment to elaborate on why you've listed these cities in this order ex..great downtown, a walkable city, great schools, environmentally proactive etc. For me schools are not a concern but I enjoy green parks, lakes and wide open spaces. I am definitely not a snow bunny but if it's gone in 48-72hrs. and comes with plenty of sunshine maybe it could work for me. I prefer 68-72 deg. and breezy.
Thanks
The OP didn't really give a lot of criteria, but from my experience the areas listed at the top (Littleton, Centennial) have a couple of things going for them such as low crime, good to great schools, good access to green areas, easy access to shopping.

Now Littleton has a good downtown but Centennial doesn't. You won't find a great amount of walkability in either of these cities but as I've maintainted in other posts you will have excellent access to any amenity you need by car and no matter where you live in those areas you won't be much further than a mile away from basic staples such as a grocery store, so you can certainly walk there.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,344,256 times
All these cities have nice areas to live for a young married couple. My preferences are:

Arvada
Wheat Ridge
Lakewood
Denver
Littleton
Centennial
Englewood
Golden
Edgewater
Westminster
Lonetree
Aurora
Commerce City

I would not live in Glendale. Glendale is totally made up of mostly apartments with young single people in the depths of their young fresh hormones. I believe this city has only one (1) single family residence house or maybe two, believe it or not. The place is known for bars and strip clubs. Not a place for a young married couple.

I am partial to the older western suburbs of Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood. Mainly because they have long established neighborhoods with excellent parks and trails. They have good access to Downtown and are right up against the foothills with the amazing recreational activities. They have more water resources, reservoirs, creeks and trees plus a more variable topography with hills. They tend to have more long term residents and have more stable family centered neighborhoods. Good Schools and good churches.

All the cities mentioned have areas of similar attributes but the western suburbs have more extensive recreational amenities and the older areas are closer to downtown. I live in the western suburbs and are more familiar with the area so It is my favorite.

I think it very important not to rule out Denver. Denver is not like many cities. It is progressive and has many different neighborhoods and some relatively new that have a suburban look. Denver is not a city that people are leaving but a city that is attracting many new residents. Denver is not a city where the suburbs are the best places to live and the city is the worse. Denver is much better place to live than some areas of the suburbs. It has extensive parks, trails and recreational facilities. It is family oriented, much safer and cleaner than many cities and has good race relations. It has good possibilities and exciting venues for a young married couple.

Denver has much better options for public transit and many suburban areas have excellent service, especially with the new commuter rail. I could live in any of the cities mentioned but I would be partial to areas that are better served by public transit. Of course, Glendale is well served but never would I live there--I am too old for that crowd.

Livecontent

Old 09-01-2009, 02:35 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times
Livecontent-- the way you describe it you make it out like Glendale is some kind of young fun urban hipster hangout, the next LoDo or something. What it really is is just a county island full of low income apartments with a lot of immigrants from Russia and the former USSR (of all different ages). It's kind of like the "Brooklyn" of Denver. Sometimes newcomers get suckered into living there when they sign apartment leases sight unseen for ugly places that market themselves as "Cherry Creek" actually end up being in Glendale. I agree with the other posters-- it's not a horrible place, but there's really no reason for it to be on your list. OP-- I think you need to come to Denver yourself (and btw, every single place on your list is part of the Denver metro area, so this is really more of a Denver forum question than a Colorado forum question) and explore, and you'll see what it's like. There's no need to pinpoint an exact location right now; most of the Denver metro area is good, it's not as polarizing as some other cities can be. Finding a place to live is a piece of cake, could be easily done in one day. It's finding a job that's the scary part.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM

664 posts, read 2,057,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
All these cities have nice areas to live for a young married couple. My preferences are:

I would not live in Glendale. Glendale is totally made up of mostly apartments with young single people in the depths of their young fresh hormones. I believe this city has only one (1) single family residence house or maybe two, believe it or not. The place is known for bars and strip clubs. Not a place for a young married couple.
I agree and am not sure why OP would list Glendale. Great central location, but not a place to live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent
I am partial to the older western suburbs of Arvada, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood. Mainly because they have long established neighborhoods with excellent parks and trails. They have good access to Downtown and are right up against the foothills with the amazing recreational activities. They have more water resources, reservoirs, creeks and trees plus a more variable topography with hills. They tend to have more long term residents and have more stable family centered neighborhoods. Good Schools and

All the cities mentioned have areas of similar attributes but the western suburbs have more extensive recreational amenities and the older areas are closer to downtown. I live in the western suburbs and are more familiar with the area so It is my favorite.good churches.
No question the western suburbs have great topography and excellent parks, probably the best in the metro area.

For many of the same reasons I also am partial to Centennial & Littleton . Centennial is an interesting area. The furthest west portions are made up of houses from the 50's and 60's and are filled with families who've lived there for a long time. That's a double-edged sword. Walking home from the Streets at Southglenn you cross blocks where the houses are well kept up and also blocks where they aren't very well kept at all! It's funny how this type of house tends to clump next to either others.

One thing to remember about access to downtown from Littleton (proper) and Western Centennial is we do have a nice straight shot either by Santa Fe, Broadway or University (and anytime you have to turn left that adds a lot of time)

In any case as Livecontent says Arvada, Wheat Ridge & Lakewood are quite nice, but like anywhere else the quality varies within the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent
I think it very important not to rule out Denver. Denver is not like many cities. It is progressive and has many different neighborhoods and some relatively new that have a suburban look. Denver is not a city that people are leaving but a city that is attracting many new residents. Denver is not a city where the suburbs are the best places to live and the city is the worse. Denver is much better place to live than some areas of the suburbs. It has extensive parks, trails and recreational facilities. It is family oriented, much safer and cleaner than many cities and has good race relations. It has good possibilities and exciting venues for a young married couple.
IMO if you want a more urban feel Denver proper would be a great place, but if you want a suburban feel move to the suburbs as they are much better at being suburbs than Denver is (and you'll give up a lot of the reason people go to suburbs anyways like better schools, better libraries, quieter, etc).

Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Livecontent-- the way you describe it you make it out like Glendale is some kind of young fun urban hipster hangout, the next LoDo or something. What it really is is just a county island full of low income apartments with a lot of immigrants from Russia and the former USSR (of all different ages). It's kind of like the "Brooklyn" of Denver. Sometimes newcomers get suckered into living there when they sign apartment leases sight unseen for ugly places that market themselves as "Cherry Creek" actually end up being in Glendale. I agree with the other posters-- it's not a horrible place, but there's really no reason for it to be on your list. OP-- I think you need to come to Denver yourself (and btw, every single place on your list is part of the Denver metro area, so this is really more of a Denver forum question than a Colorado forum question) and explore, and you'll see what it's like. There's no need to pinpoint an exact location right now; most of the Denver metro area is good, it's not as polarizing as some other cities can be. Finding a place to live is a piece of cake, could be easily done in one day. It's finding a job that's the scary part.
I think I am sort of out of touch and dating myself. I had no idea that Glendale had that many Russian Immigrants. I still thinking back when it was the place for the young people that newly came to Denver. One of my relatives lived there for a time, when he first came here. It has some of the popular hangouts like that place that served that peanut and jelly sandwich to Elvis--I forgot the name--something to do with Mines....

However, regardless of the type of immigrants, it still has too many bars and the strip club and no homes for families in their own house. Interesting that you say that is somewhat similar to Brooklyn---I have to take a visit....

Livecontent

Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM

chilicheesefries,

When I worked in Inverness Park and living in Arvada, my commute was mostly the side streets, as I enjoyed the discovery of neighborhoods. I think one of the best overlooked neighborhoods is off of Ridge Road in Littleton, going up to Prince. I highly recommend this area for any new comers who want an older established good neighborhood.

As I would go back and forth to work, I would go on Mineral or through Littleton and cross Broadway and get to Dry Creek or Broadway. I really do like the area where Littleton meets Centennial, near the hospital. Also, going down Arapahoe does bring you into many different types of old neighborhoods. The older part of Centennial does appeal more to me than the newer areas. I think the City made a good choice of making a city center around the Southglenn Mall.

Actually I am sorry to see some of these small malls disappear as they were more a smaller comfort level. In addition to the Southglenn Mall, there was the Bear Creek Mall on Sheridan and Darthmouth; Westland Mall on West Colfax, just past Casa Bonita. Northglenn Mall was small and sat in the middle of the residential area. There was that mall on Havana that recently was tore down--I cannot think of the name. There is Tiffany Square still on Hampden. You may not realize that the place where the Happy Church moved on Orchard and I-25 was built as a little mall. Also, that building where that satellite company in located, The Dish Network, at Santa Fe and West Littleton Blvd. was a small upscale mall.

I do have to get out and see the Street at SouthGlen but I just wish they would have more of basic economical stores but that is not the case with these overpriced developments.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver