U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,681,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal in most places.
That's not necessarily true. It really depends exactly where, and exactly what street you're talking about. Any street that is a known center of pedestrian activity, in urban areas, bicyclists should stay off, and could likely get a ticket. But the vast majority of suburban arterial streets have ultra wide sidewalks and have absolutely no one using them the vast majority of the time, except for the occasional bus stop. Sometimes these streets have distances of 1/4 or 1/2 or 1 mile between each intersection. Anything is possible, but the chances of getting a ticket for bicycling on the sidewalk of those kind of streets is extremely slim.

I'm convinced that road cycling/commuting in urban areas is more of a social statement than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,856,217 times
One time a cop did try to ticket me on Colfax for riding on the sidewalk. Even though there was no bike lane at all, and riding on the street on that blck would be completely unsafe.

The cop was being very macho. He even started questioning me about if I was carrying drgs and had warrants. It was invasive and insulting.

I wasn't having it. I just started debating the cop and eventually he let me out of the ticket.

From then on a rode down 13th or 14th instead of Colfax to avoid to cops who hang out trying to generate revenue for Colorado through tickets.....er, i mean, keep the streets safe

The funny thing is that THEY were riding on the sidewalks themselves. Fabulous huh?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM

48 posts, read 133,897 times
Why does anyone have to justify why they are driving a car? It's their own business how they get to work and if they want to drive their own car for whatever reason.

this is why bicylists get bad reputations. People think they are better than others because they ride their bikes.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcolorado View Post
Why does anyone have to justify why they are driving a car? It's their own business how they get to work and if they want to drive their own car for whatever reason.

this is why bicylists get bad reputations. People think they are better than others because they ride their bikes.
I think it is better. Riding a bike to work is just more ballsy. It takes real effort and excercise. It's something worthy of respect when a person is hardcore enough to ride a bike long distances like that.

I think dependence on cars is the main reason America is so fat.

So bicycle riders are choosing to be healthy, not be obese, help the environment and ease traffic congestion..... what's not "better" about that? It is better.

Also, have you ever lived in a foreign country where most people don;t drive cars? It's great there is life on the streets and action happening everywhere. It's more interesting. When everyone is in their cars, the streets become depopulated and boring, like you see on the streets of Denver.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM

48 posts, read 133,897 times
I'm not obese and am in extremely good shape and I do my part to help the environment. I also feel like this is a personal decision that people make and shouldn't have intolerant people look down their nose at something that you can choose to do or not do.

Yes, I lived in Europe for 4 yrs and they have a wonderful public transportation system. It really doesn't have anything to do with riding a bike just to be more interesting. It has to do with trains, buses etc that are everywhere and a lot of people utilize them. Plus the cost of gas over there makes gas prices around here pale by comparison.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcolorado View Post
I'm not obese and am in extremely good shape and I do my part to help the environment. I also feel like this is a personal decision that people make and shouldn't have intolerant people look down their nose at something that you can choose to do or not do.

Yes, I lived in Europe for 4 yrs and they have a wonderful public transportation system. It really doesn't have anything to do with riding a bike just to be more interesting. It has to do with trains, buses etc that are everywhere and a lot of people utilize them. Plus the cost of gas over there makes gas prices around here pale by comparison.
I don't look down upon people for driving to work. I do look down upon people who drive absolutely everywhere though and never walk or bike at all, to the point that they get extremely out of shape.

You know who i'm talking about. The person who will drive less than half a mile. Who's body has become like a useless blob. These are the people who I do sort of look down upon a little bit.

Rather than loking down on car drivers, it's more like I look up to bike riders and give them respect for riding instead of driving.

Just imagine a society where most people ride bikes instead of driving. Can't you see how it would be better?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 PM

21,853 posts, read 23,091,654 times
Quote:
I do look down upon people who....
Why do you feel the need to look down upon anyone? You don't know their situation and frankly they might also have a "justified" reason to look down upon you for something different altogether...I just don't get this need people have to look down upon others....Really. What does it accomplish this feeling of superiority?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM

6,961 posts, read 12,447,992 times
I think if bikes are going to be allowed in our society, then proper paths should be built. I have never understood how where I live Portland, ever got the title of being so bike friendly. This like any city in America is downright dangerous to ride a bike. There really isn't much of anything that one would think of as numerous pathways around town. Its all riding in the middle of the streets or the side of the streets, or on the sidewalks. Im actually afraid to drive in this city because of the thousands of bikes on the streets here. I really am afraid of hitting one of them. There is not one week that someone is not seriously hurt and lately killed by cars or bikes hitting one another.

I can more than understand someone wanting to ride a bike, as a way of getting from A to B and for the exercise. Please be careful where you ride them. I just don't think our officials and our populations in general is dealing with this issue. There are just to many people on bikes that are being hurt and killed. Proper pathways at least in major commuting areas should be built. The ridiculous bike lane on very busy surface steets is not the way to go.

Stay Safe.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Why do you feel the need to look down upon anyone? You don't know their situation and frankly they might also have a "justified" reason to look down upon you for something different altogether...I just don't get this need people have to look down upon others....Really. What does it accomplish this feeling of superiority?
What kind of a situation would a person like this have that would preclude them from walking and bicycling? I guess some people do have bad injuries. But not that many. It must be 5% or less of the people out there who have injuries severe enough to prevent them from walking.

I've met lots and lots of people who do not walk or bicycle simply out of sheer laziness. That's just a fact. This goes for all exercise in general, not just realted to transportation.

It was not accurate of me to say "look down upon". I really don't look down upon them. I just see that they are living an unhealthy lifestyle and probably causing self-inflicted health problems through lack of exercise. I think that keeping our bodies in shape is incredibly important.

There is an obesity epidemic in America. And it's become politically incorrect to call people out on their obesity. So a lot of people just fall deeper into it.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM

21,853 posts, read 23,091,654 times
I personally can think of lots of reasons besides laziness that people may not ride their bikes to work. Let's see...for starters, not everyone goes to work and stays in the office all day. Many people visit clients all over the city throughout the day so need to have their car available as well as they just don't have the time to rider from say the Tech Center to Brighton or Loveland or Ft. Collins. Hmmmm.....also, there are any number of folks who don't drive directly home from work - when my kids were younger I was picking them up from daycare or needed to get home in a hurry to get them to sports practices or games or that was the only time I had to get grocery shopping done. Some people's work schedules have them working when it's dark -either in the morning or at night. Some people's work doesn't have shower facilities and require that they present themselves in a professional manner as soon as they arrive. And those are all very good reasons and I'm sure there are any number of additional reasons. No doubt there are some people who are lazy etc however I don't think that the obesity epidemic is simply a matter of people who "should" be riding to work. There are a lot of things that go into that - but that's not nearly as fun and self congratulatory as "looking down upon" people you know nothing about now is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or