U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM

162 posts, read 334,060 times
Default From Oregon to Denver

Hello everyone, I am a 24 year old college student coming from Portland, Oregon to Denver and was wondering which areas would be best to live in for a student who will be studying at University of Colorado Denver? I am not yet familar with how Denver is laid out.

Has anyone on this board relocated from Oregon to Denver? I am a bit sad having to leave the wonderful beauty of this great state, with the ocean one hour away and the Columbia River Gorge just minutes away but because of the economy and weather I feel I have to. How do the outdoor possibilities in Colorado compare to here, for anyone who has been here before?

Also, I am an avid cyclist and am a bit concerned about how bikeable Denver is in general. I read in other threads that Denver is not a great city for road bikes. Portland is probably one of the best in the nation for this.

Can anyone be of help to me? I know there are dozens of such inquiries each week on these boards...
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 PM

162 posts, read 411,009 times
Default Colorado move

Hi - There are pockets of really excellent bike trails and others, closer to downtown, where the trails are not as good. Here's a good link to bike trails too. Good luck. Also suggest trying The Market cafe on Larimer Street. Very close to the campus. There are some very cool lofts in LoDo (lower downtown). If it were me, I would try to rent a loft with some other students. Have fun.

BikeDenver.org Ľ Bicycle Maps of Denver

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,327,410 times
Just to make a point of perspective, compared to Portland, Denver may seem a bit weak on the biking front. Compared to everywhere else I've lived, I've never seen so many bikes in my life (aside from a brief vacation in Holland.)

If you cycle (for whatever reason) and can't be in Portland, I can think of far, far worse places to be than Denver.

Otherwise, I'll refer you to the Wikipedia page on Denver Neighborhoods for a way to get acquainted with the city layout. I'm assuming you'll be attending at the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver and not the Anschutz Medial Campus which is in the neighboring city of Aurora (don't get confused by all the place names starting with "A"!)

After looking over the neighborhood map I'd recommend having a search through the forums for some more information on neighborhoods you want more info on, or of course posting more questions here. There are other people here who will be far more help than I! Good luck!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:39 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,071,317 times
Outdoor possibilities should be on par. Actually it should be better. My Oregon friend tells me the better weather here in CO means more days of be able to get out. so, for hiking and all that, you might like it better here.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:39 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,914,653 times
Quote:
I read in other threads that Denver is not a great city for road bikes.
LOL, what threads were those? Denver is a great city for bikes; and if you are a roadie a much better city to train in.

Portland tends to be a bit snobbie in terms of biking (lot's of foo-foo dress up folks on 2 mile commutes), but I've never actually met anyone who really rode from that city.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:50 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,285,306 times
Denver is very flat, no funs hills to ride. Much more sprawled too. So in Denver you'll have long flat rides.

Personally I would say Denver is over rated for bicycling because it's so flat and the sprawl makes for constant long rides outside of the downtown core area. Hills are very important for a fun ride to me and Denver has like, one hill?

Denver is an ALLRIGHT city for bicycling. But I don't know why people call it a great city for biking, it's not really.

The good thing about Denver is that the streets and sidewalk tend to be depopulated and deserted. So you can just fly through without many obstacles. And there are some good trails, but no more than most other cities.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

248 posts, read 418,581 times
sigh...

Bear, you are happy in Cali now right? Just want to make sure.

OP. Denver is a great city for cycling overall because more people have awareness of bikes on the road. Drivers are used to seeing cyclists and there is typically less friction between the two. There are also lots of great trails to mix up your training routes.

As for Denver v Portland... You have many fewer "trustifarians" in Denver. By "trustifarian" I mean those kids who look like they never wash but always seem to be riding an uber-nice bike and have an iPhone. You know who I mean... the idiots in the WTO rallies.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 PM

162 posts, read 334,060 times
No hills in Denver? Last time I checked, Denver is only a few miles from the foothills. I cant imagine there arent a couple of rideable roads leading up there. I will be disappointed if there arent at least a few elevation rides, I am used to good hills in Portland and need a challenge.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 PM

248 posts, read 418,581 times
The foothills are just to the west of Denver, you are correct. They are a very short drive, Red Rocks is a good example. And if you want a real challenge, ride up the Mt Evans road.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:19 AM

2,372 posts, read 3,017,536 times
Consider moving to Boulder and taking the A-B bus Express to UCD about 45 minutes....Challenging cycling routes in Boulder BLOW Portland off the map period... end of discussion ....Boulder is not among the fittest 1% of the US population by accident.. Category 4 cyclists in every other city are considered 3's in Boulder Colorado. I have had many friends in Boulder that are weekend rec. hounds that could go pro status without even adjusting their training level. Boulder's cycling community is equivalent to Hollywood and modern motion pictures...There are quite a few Boulder residents that commute to the CU-Denver Campus; both staff and students.Have the best of both worlds..hang out in Downtown Denver during the day at school..go home to one the most sought after outdoor sports communities in the nation. Get in state tuition after a year and attend CU-Boulder after that if that works for your course of study..more than likely it will. I know many people like yourself that have done just exactly that..

Last edited by Scott5280; 09-04-2009 at 02:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver