U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-07-2009, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 43,445 times
Default Parking when visiting downtown Denver/16th st etc

Hola !

We would like to spend a day sightseeing in Denver and wonder what the best place to park is. We would be coming from the north side of the city. We are good to walk a fair way if necessary, and don't mind whether it's lot or streetside parking, provided it's safe. Would we have to pay to park and what's a reasonable cost per hour in that case? Is there a lightrail link towards the north yet? So many questions, so little time! Any comments from proud Denverites gratefully accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-07-2009, 09:53 AM

16,493 posts, read 21,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyskis View Post
Hola !

We would like to spend a day sightseeing in Denver and wonder what the best place to park is. We would be coming from the north side of the city. We are good to walk a fair way if necessary, and don't mind whether it's lot or streetside parking, provided it's safe. Would we have to pay to park and what's a reasonable cost per hour in that case? Is there a lightrail link towards the north yet? So many questions, so little time! Any comments from proud Denverites gratefully accepted.
Been there many times. LOTS of street parking (with meters) and plenty of parking lots and garages. IIRC, they charge less than the lots/garages do back in downtown DC.

I'm no expert on light rail, our best person for that is LiveContent. There is a big stop at Union Station, right in the heart of Downtown aka LoDo, from which you walk across the lot to the FREE 16th Street bus, which is the ONLY vehicle allowed the entire length of the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall.

Here's the map for the light rail system, it shows no line from the north. The Union Station / LoDo area is at the top of the map, reference points C and E.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Unread 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM

1,202 posts, read 2,447,368 times
When I drove last time I think it was $5 for parking in a garage right by 16th street, right under some big financial building. It was a while ago though.

Unread 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM

1,517 posts, read 3,804,971 times
It all depends on the time of day and the day of the week you plan to be down there. Some meters are free on Sunday and easy to site see, the meters stop at 6:00, 8:00 or 10:00 PM and parking is free after that. The lots I use during the busy weekday hours would be at 14th and Bannock next between Dozen's restaurant and the Denver Art museum, or the lots on Sherman, Logan and Grant between 16th and 20th Avenues (notice the difference between Streets and Avenues - Avenues run east and west, streets run north and south). These are the cheapest in the city during business hours and all an easy walk to the 16th Mall. There is a free Shuttle that stops at every block on the mall, about a mile in distance. The lot in Park Central at Lawrence and 16th is $5.00 after 5:00, indoor and easy to get to (this might be where Moonwalkr parked?). The condos, next to the Denver Art Museum are $7.00 for the whole day, enter at 12th and Broadway as is the lot in the new Hyatt between 14th and 15th streets and I think Glenarm.

Hope this helps, and do you need recommendations on what to see?

Denver Aztec

Unread 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM

3,531 posts, read 5,736,222 times
Or you can park below Rock Bottom restaurant, 16th and Arapahoe, buy a beer or beverage, and have free parking all day.

I believe Tabor Center does the same thing, you'd have to check on that. They are on the web.

Unread 09-09-2009, 03:30 PM

181 posts, read 313,691 times
Also cheap weekends is the Tabor Center (enter from Lawrence St).

Unread 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM

280 posts, read 463,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Or you can park below Rock Bottom restaurant, 16th and Arapahoe, buy a beer or beverage, and have free parking all day.

I believe Tabor Center does the same thing, you'd have to check on that. They are on the web.
It's $1.25 with validation at the garage under Rock Bottom. That's only good after 4pm on the weekdays and all day on Sat/Sun. It's a great deal and you're right on the 16th St. Mall.

Coming from the North, I would think Light Rail isn't worth it. There are stops in Five Points, but you're almost downtown at that point and paying for LR v. parking isn't worth it.

One idea could be to take a bus from a Park'n'Ride.

Or you could park at REI for free and then walk in.

It also depends on events going on at that time. The lots around Coors Field get more expensive on game days. I used to park around 20th and Larimer for $2/day, but the same lot would go up to $10/night for Rockies games. This last Monday, the going rate in LoDo around Coors Field was ~$10. I found an undergroun lot at 16th & Wazee for $8 and parked there.

Weekday mornings will also be more expensive, to catch the morning commuters.

Last edited by denver_hacker; 09-09-2009 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: editing away

Unread 09-10-2009, 12:55 AM

5 posts, read 43,445 times
Now that's what I call mighty fine help from folks ! Many thanks to all contributors; I can see we are going to like Colorado!

Unread 09-10-2009, 09:23 AM

3,531 posts, read 5,736,222 times
You are welcome!

Unread 09-13-2009, 12:03 PM

360 posts, read 649,097 times
Don't drive downtown on weekdays. I always use the Park n ride on I-25 and 120th Avenue. Park there (but you do have to pay for parking there too) and take the express bus down to Market Street station, right on 16th St. They have a frequent schedule and best of all you miss the traffic along 25.

Just my take, there are parking options downtown too, I'd just rather use transit whenever possible. It's greener!

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules...4&routeId=120X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver