Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 PM

37 posts, read 110,845 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm considering packing up on a prayer and moving my family to Denver. The flatlands and humid heat of Louisiana is getting old, and we are outdoorsy people. I have a child that will be ready for pre-k, and one that is going into 3rd grade. I'm estimating what I could make compared to what I do currently. If anyone has ideas for higher paying jobs with a b.s. i biology and four years experience, I'm all ears. I'm interested in what schools are the best so I can look for apartments in those districts. Also, do the public schools offer pre-k? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM

103 posts, read 291,960 times
You could start with these websites to get an idea of school rankings and test scores. I think test scores only tell part of the story. You really need to visit the school to get the feel. Also, here in CO, you can usually choice your child into a school even if you are not in that schools area, but there is no guarantee you will get in or that there will even be room for out of area kids in the school.
SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
Not really sure about the pre-k. I guess it depends on the school. Not every school has it and I think some schools call it ECE here. Good Luck

Old 01-29-2012, 02:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus79 View Post
Hello all. I'm considering packing up on a prayer and moving my family to Denver. The flatlands and humid heat of Louisiana is getting old, and we are outdoorsy people. I have a child that will be ready for pre-k, and one that is going into 3rd grade. I'm estimating what I could make compared to what I do currently. If anyone has ideas for higher paying jobs with a b.s. i biology and four years experience, I'm all ears. I'm interested in what schools are the best so I can look for apartments in those districts. Also, do the public schools offer pre-k? Thanks!
Please make a visit up here before packing it all up and moving. I personally don't know what jobs are available for someone with a BS in bio. My daughter has one and worked in a day care center for 1 1/2 years before going back to school to get an MPH. Some public school districts offer pre-school, but I have no idea how that works. Some anyway, are tuition based, I believe.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have been there a few times before, so I know that I want to live there. There seems to be quite a few jobs available in research, but the pay isn't the best. That's what I have been doing. The work is nice, though. I'm also interested in managerial jobs, and biotech sales and service jobs.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus79 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have been there a few times before, so I know that I want to live there. There seems to be quite a few jobs available in research, but the pay isn't the best. That's what I have been doing. The work is nice, though. I'm also interested in managerial jobs, and biotech sales and service jobs.
There are some research jobs available at the CU Health Science Center and some other CU campuses as well. Last I knew (when DD was looking for same), they paid about $15/hr.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 AM

I notice there seems to be quite a few decent looking houses for sale around the $100k area or under, which is all I can really afford. Is it really possible to get something livable for that price somewhere between Aurora and Boulder, since those two places seem to be where most of the work seems to be in my field?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM

62 posts, read 135,287 times
Morpheus 79,

I recommend checking the Colorado Department of Education's website for good elementary schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver