Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times

Advertisements

Money Magazine did it again by disclosing all these little know places that are good place to live. The new list as the "25 Best Places to Retire" put Lakewood, Colorado at number 9.

25 Best Places to Retire - Lakewood, Colo. (9) - Money Magazine

Maybe yes, maybe no---it depends on what you think. It is quite funny that the writer has no idea of Colorado because she says:

"...The summit of the 6,800-foot Green Mountain is located in William Frederick Hayden Park, which with 2,400 acres of open space is only the second largest park in Lakewood..."

It gives you the impression that a Giant Mountain is right nearby but Lakewood sits at about 5400 feet---so Green Mountain is only a HILL, just like many of the rolling foothills of the Rocky Mountains. It is called Green Mountain because it is covered with short grass and with sufficient rainfall it is, well, Green.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM

9,503 posts, read 16,406,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Money Magazine did it again by disclosing all these little know places that are good place to live. The new list as the "25 Best Places to Retire" put Lakewood, Colorado at number 9.

25 Best Places to Retire - Lakewood, Colo. (9) - Money Magazine

Maybe yes, maybe no---it depends on what you think. It is quite funny that the writer has no idea of Colorado because she says:

"...The summit of the 6,800-foot Green Mountain is located in William Frederick Hayden Park, which with 2,400 acres of open space is only the second largest park in Lakewood..."

It gives you the impression that a Giant Mountain is right nearby but Lakewood sits at about 5400 feet---so Green Mountain is only a HILL, just like many of the rolling foothills of the Rocky Mountains. It is called Green Mountain because it is covered with short grass and with sufficient rainfall it is, well, Green.

Livecontent
Isn't Lakewood a suburb of Denver? Im thinking it is but not sure.
Do you consider the Denver area a good place to retire? I have been trying to find a Denver type city in the Southeast, but it doesn't seem to exist there at all. I like the fact Denver is very much into transit options and getting better. It is a healthy place with active people and lots of parks. Colorado does not tax my Federal Pension. The sun is out much of the time. All of those aspects I would like in retirement, as well as access to all the medical care and facilities.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,356,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Isn't Lakewood a suburb of Denver? Im thinking it is but not sure.
Do you consider the Denver area a good place to retire? I have been trying to find a Denver type city in the Southeast, but it doesn't seem to exist there at all. I like the fact Denver is very much into transit options and getting better. It is a healthy place with active people and lots of parks. Colorado does not tax my Federal Pension. The sun is out much of the time. All of those aspects I would like in retirement, as well as access to all the medical care and facilities.
Yes, Lakewood is a inner ring suburbs of Denver. Denver boundary is mostly Sheridan to the West and Lakewood Begin at that point. It grew out of West Colfax. The older area is closer to Sheridan and it get newer as you go west toward the foothills. The city is expansive and includes many different types of developments. To the south fo the city is unincorporated Jefferson County which may have a Lakewood, Littleton, or Morrison address.

Lakewood has easy access to Denver with great bus service. It is even going to get much better that they are now constructing a new commuter rail line to the west, which will follow approximately west 13th and go to the Federal Center and into Golden. There is big new hospital under construction at the Federal Center just next to the new rail station, at Coal Springs Park and Ride. It is St. Anthony which is being relocated from the West Side of Denver.

The Denver Metro area is a great place to retire with the the amenities that you mentioned. My siblings and I all moved here about 30-35 years ago. We are originally from Buffalo. My parents followed us about 25 years ago and now are in their 80s. They live in west Arvada. They are very happy in their retirement as it offers so much and has good weather.

There are many federal retirees here because of the location of the Federal Center where they last worked, as well as the numerous other military sites. I am partial to the older western suburbs of Denver that is Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Golden and Arvada as they have easy access the mountains and Denver. In addition, it has more natives and long term Colorado residents and tends toward more conservative, quiet treed areas that have a slower pace than many of the other suburban areas; this is more ideal for retirees.

I think retirees want good healthcare, lower crime, good public transit and milder weather with extensive recreational amenities, as well as the services that a city can offer. The Denver metro area fits that description.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-13-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 PM

619 posts, read 2,193,114 times
LC - thanks for the link! I'll get my parents here yet!!!!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:51 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,630,510 times
Hey, everyone said it was Arizona

Old 09-13-2009, 09:40 PM

9,503 posts, read 16,406,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, Lakewood is a inner ring suburbs of Denver. Denver boundary is mostly Sheridan to the West and Lakewood Begin at that point. It grew out of West Colfax. The older area is closer to Sheridan and it get newer as you go west toward the foothills. The city is expansive and includes many different types of developments. To the south fo the city is unincorporated Jefferson County which may have a Lakewood, Littleton, or Morrison address.

Lakewood has easy access to Denver with great bus service. It is even going to get much better that they are now constructing a new commuter rail line to the west, which will follow approximately west 13th and go to the Federal Center and into Golden. There is big new hospital under construction at the Federal Center just next to the new rail station, at Coal Springs Park and Ride. It is St. Anthony which is being relocated from the West Side of Denver.

The Denver Metro area is a great place to retire with the the amenities that you mentioned. My siblings and I all moved here about 30-35 years ago. We are originally from Buffalo. My parents followed us about 25 years ago and now are in their 80s. They live in west Arvada. They are very happy in their retirement as it offers so much and has good weather.

There are many federal retirees here because of the location of the Federal Center where they last worked, as well as the numerous other military sites. I am partial to the older western suburbs of Denver that is Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, Golden and Arvada as they have easy access the mountains and Denver. In addition, it has more natives and long term Colorado residents and tends toward more conservative, quiet treed areas that have a slower pace than many of the other suburban areas; this is more ideal for retirees.

I think retirees want good healthcare, lower crime, good public transit and milder weather with extensive recreational amenities, as well as the services that a city can offer. The Denver metro area fits that description.

Livecontent
Thanks for all the info on the Denver Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver