Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 54,857 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate with a degree in Healthcare Management in May and I have wanted to live in Colorado, specifically Denver, for a couple years just because it is so beautiful there and I love that type of climate. I will be moving from North Carolina.

I just wanted to know how money you think I should have saved before moving here?

Also what is a good area of Denver for me to live in. I'm 21 and will be looking for a job, but still want to have a good time and meet lots of people around my age. I like bars and chill areas, not much for dance clubs or anything like that.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 06:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
I'd have at least 4-6 months worth of living expenses saved up. That's at least $1000/mo.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM

Default Thank you!

Thanks! I was thinking about half a year so I'd have time to hopefully find a job! I just didn't know what the cost of living was like compared to here-- Thank you again!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl87 View Post
Thanks! I was thinking about half a year so I'd have time to hopefully find a job! I just didn't know what the cost of living was like compared to here-- Thank you again!
You're welcome. I'm going by what I paid for my daughter to live in an apt. while going to CU, excluding tuition.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:33 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl87 View Post
I was in Charlotte, NC for two years. Paid around 850 for rent (with a lease) and harris teeter grocery was a little on the up as well.

Rent and grocery shopping diminish considerably in CO. Tax is a little less too, but this is what my colleagues sound off on, for I hardly pay attention to the tax components on the bills.

I'd say CO's cheaper than NC.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
Congratulations on your decision to move. I think you'll really enjoy Denver ( I do whenever I visit) There's a lot of great places to live in the city. I was in the Wash park neighborhood last weekend and really liked it (but I've been told it's a bit more expensive there.)

Anyway, Denver is not expensive as far as cities tend to go, so I think you'll be fine. It's not like you're moving to DC, NYC or san diego, which are much more expensive.

Denverites can help you with specific neighborhoods, but I would suggest looking at the neighborhoods immediately to the west of downtown, Washington Park, and there's quite a bunch of others too. I like these because they are older neighbhoords with plenty of trees and shade and just great places to get out and bike and walk around, and be close to some good restaurants.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Thank you for the neighborhood advice-- that was another question I had been thinking of-- there seem to be a lot more options compared to where I live now so I'm glad to have it narrowed down and try to look to the west downtown!
thank you so much!!

Old 09-14-2009, 02:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I was in Charlotte, NC for two years. Paid around 850 for rent (with a lease) and harris teeter grocery was a little on the up as well.

Rent and grocery shopping diminish considerably in CO. Tax is a little less too, but this is what my colleagues sound off on, for I hardly pay attention to the tax components on the bills.

I'd say CO's cheaper than NC.
Grocery is about the same. Harris teeter prices are generally higher than Kroger's (King Soopers here). I would say cost of living generally equals about the same both places.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM

A bare-bones 1 BR apt. will probably cost about $600/mo, possibly utilities extra. Of course, you could look for a roommate and cut costs a little that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: