Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM

87 posts, read 346,241 times

Advertisements

OK, I know that's a stupid question... but we moved here in the summer from the south. There is no winter to speak of in Arkansas - at least not one where it's necessary to do anything more than blow out your sprinkler system. I've heard ppl talk about "winterizing" their homes. I honestly don't know what this means, when I need to do it, or who I call to handle it for me. Any tips? I'm sure this is a stupid post to many of you, but I'm clueless! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,198,696 times
Well,
i recaulk my windows, check the insulation in the crawlspace/attic... make sure all seals on the roof (around pips/chimneys) are sealed.
Check the seals in my doors/windows -can you see light - thats BAD. Check the furnace, change the air filters.
Putting that plastic stuff on your windows WILL help... during the cold months take a candle along the edge - do you see it move outside the normal range - signifying a draft...
Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms..

A lot of this is basic maintenance,, but this is my "winterizing" check list.

ALSO... think of having a snowstorm "survival" kit... plenty of blankets, flashlights, canned goods, etc... in case of severe snow storms where you might not get out of the house for a few days... keep a kit in your car as well... blankets, flashlight, a small shovel, cat litter (used for traction on ice), etc... never let your car go below 1/4 tank of gas... etc...

Stuff like that... you will use a LOT Of energy in the winter if your home is not "winterized".. want to save money and cut down on your heating bill.... January is generally the COLDEST month and my electric/gas bill is double that then what it will be this month.

Don't want to be all doom and gloom - but Colorado is a lot different then Arkansas in the winter .. if we get a BAD Snow storm - and we have in the past... you may be stuck for a few days so keep track of the weather, keep your car in top running order, winterize your home..

Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Well,
i recaulk my windows, check the insulation in the crawlspace/attic... make sure all seals on the roof (around pips/chimneys) are sealed.
Check the seals in my doors/windows -can you see light - thats BAD. Check the furnace, change the air filters.
Putting that plastic stuff on your windows WILL help... during the cold months take a candle along the edge - do you see it move outside the normal range - signifying a draft...
Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms..

A lot of this is basic maintenance,, but this is my "winterizing" check list.

ALSO... think of having a snowstorm "survival" kit... plenty of blankets, flashlights, canned goods, etc... in case of severe snow storms where you might not get out of the house for a few days... keep a kit in your car as well... blankets, flashlight, a small shovel, cat litter (used for traction on ice), etc... never let your car go below 1/4 tank of gas... etc...

Stuff like that... you will use a LOT Of energy in the winter if your home is not "winterized".. want to save money and cut down on your heating bill.... January is generally the COLDEST month and my electric/gas bill is double that then what it will be this month.

Don't want to be all doom and gloom - but Colorado is a lot different then Arkansas in the winter .. if we get a BAD Snow storm - and we have in the past... you may be stuck for a few days so keep track of the weather, keep your car in top running order, winterize your home..
Great list. I'll add...

* mulch tender plants and trim weak tree limbs that may break with a wet snow, which generally happens in March/April

* turn off the outdoor spigots and store the hoses

* remove, wash, & store window screens

Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

* remove, wash, & store window screens
Why do you remove the screens for the winter?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 AM

You don't have to do so. Many people leave them up all winter because modern windows are so efficient that storm windows aren't necessary. For me, it's a convenient time to wash them thoroughly, and I like the unobstructed view through the windows during the winter months.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
blow all the water out of your sprinkler system.

have the furnace and chimney cleaned (if wood burning) and serviced.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Unhook your garden hoses and cover the outside faucets with 'bootie' type things they sell at home depot.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,717 times
I have my swamp cooler winterized and close off all of the swamp vents in my home.
I also put the glass down on my storm/screen doors.
If you have a lawn, it's a good idea to put down winter fertilizer.
Don't forget to winterize your car.
If you don't have one, get a good snow shovel for your house and a good snow scraper for your vehicle.
I get out my coat, gloves and hats then clean them.
I also get out heavier blankets for my couch and bedrooms.
Some people believe in using ice-melt for their driveways and sidewalks.
My DH doesn't like it sooooo....you can purchase it at any store.
I also clean out all of the furnace vents/grates in the floor. They always seem to collect dust and bugs. I have them closed in the summer so I can't see what's down there but, If you forget to do it, it can be pretty nasty when your furnace first kicks on!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 27,539 times
Just shut down the swamp cooler, dry it and cover it. Shut off the outside water faucets. That's about it.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM

I thought of something else...

*Winterize the whole house fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver