Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,890 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful idea's. Everyone has been great! I will be looking into some of them this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on Highlands Ranch? It seems like there are a lot of rentals there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 05:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlabdoggy View Post
Thank you so much for all of the wonderful idea's. Everyone has been great! I will be looking into some of them this week. Does anyone have any thoughts on Highlands Ranch? It seems like there are a lot of rentals there too.
HR is similar to some parts of Parker. Very traditionally designed suburb and very family heavy. Parker has Cherry Creek running through it for walking trails and such(if you happen to live in a part of Parker near it), HR has some large parks and designated nature areas with a few creeks and such running through it and pretty much every neighborhood seems to have these.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
I agree about Wash Park. In your price range, if you want a neighborhood with character, close to downtown, where a lot of the properties have been re-done/re-stored that is a great area to consider.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM

13 posts, read 109,507 times
Here's some links to help you with your search that include social clubs (really easy to meet others your age here - all really nice)

This link will give you a description of all the areas in Denver.
Denver CO Neighborhoods : Cherry Creek

[ mod cut ]

DENVER HAPPY HOUR

Denver Happy Hour (http://denver.playcoed.com/club.php?id=43 - broken link)

In my opinion, I wouldn't live east north or east south unless it is slightly east of Denver in Cherry Creek, Washington Park, Denver Country Club, The Highlands (not to be confused with Highlands Ranch which is very suburban, but out of towners moving here with families love it - mall and chain restaurants there). I have lived in Thornton/Brighton, Downtown Denver and now Lafayette. I love downtown Denver, Boulder is fun, Broomfield/Louisville/Lafayette are more suburban and like 30 minutes north west to downtown, but closer to Boulder. I would never consider Aurora or Parker - Parker has cheaper nice homes, but is way out there and seriously if you are working from home, you may want to get out to get a coffee, go for a walk, see people, etc. and it's really south and really suburban. Aurora has nice houses in good areas, but again way out east and there's just more crime on the news about it. I have a friend who is a police officer and he wouldn't live there. He lives with his family in Littleton, which has a cute downtown and a bunch of newer and older homes.... Here's a website too if you want to check out areas you may not want to live in (if less or no offenders in the area, you can bet it's a better area) www.familywatchdog.us

In my opinion as well, when you move to Colorado, move to be closer to the mountains, not out east. For me, that's the whole point of giving up the ocean for the mountains. Not sure why Monterey wasn't for you, but if it was because you were bored, you want Denver or Boulder.

Last - there are a ton of parks, trails, hiking and bike paths all around -even downtown has the Riverfront area that links up with the Cherry Creek path Denver Bike Trails . I did live in Riverfront with 2 large dogs and the paths are so great for them and you.

There's so much I can tell you, but if you spend a weekend out here - visit all the areas and ask people in each and they will tell you what they think. FYI - take Speer blvd off I-25 in Denver - it is a great link to downtown through Washington park area, past Denver Country club and the Cherry creek mall down to the cherry creek outdoor shopping area and homes. There is a direct flight from Monterey to Denver once a day

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Links to realtor/agent sites not allowed.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:09 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
If you can afford to do so; avoid anything west of I-25 if you are staying in Denver county.

Yes it is cheaper; it also far away from 99 percent of the cities attractions and an invonvenient place to get to and from. There is a reason it is cheaper and will always be so.

Washington Park burned bright into the late 90's. What is left is overpriced and often clapped together with additions. Realtors have pushed the boundaries of the area to such an extent that they are listing 5 miles from the park itself as still Washington Park. If you have to cross the highway or can spit and hit Lincoln, you are not in Washington Park.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I think there is too much emphasis placed on areas like Washington Park, as a place to live. Washington Park is nice but it is not the only extensive good park in Denver.

There are others that are little known to outsiders that should be mentioned. I like Harvard Gulch Park and Golf Course and the connecting City of Kunming and Rosedale park which connect in the Rosedale neighborhood. I think this is great area to live and has some nice house. If you follow the Gulch down on Harvard, you will come into some nice homes along this ambling park which goes in the University neighborhood. All this area is more like suburban in the urban city and is close to Porter Hospital to the east and down the road from University of Denver. You are also close Swedish Hospital and Craig which gives you the top hospital in Denver for care. Good public transportation is good as you are sandwiched between the Southwest and Southeast Rail Corridor. These are good stable neighborhoods in Denver but do not the created allure of Washington Park.

Another great very big park area is along Bear Creek in Denver in the Bear Valley neighborhood. This is again a very surburban in a urban area of Denver and is West of Sheridan. The Park is the Big attraction in this area as Bear Valley Park extends into Lakewood to Bear Lake to the west and goes further east into the Harvey Park South neighborhood, as Bear Creek Park. There are wonderful great neighborhood just north of Dartmouth along Bear Creek, just west of Sheridan. At Sheridan/Dartmouth there is a little plaza that was once the small Bear Creek Mall. It was redeveloped and anchored by a King Soopers and across the street is a branch of the Denver Public Library. It has good public transit as it is a transfer station for many buses. I think it is a nice little neighborhood that is at a relaxing small scale and gives you good amenities.

What I am saying is that you should look beyond those neighborhoods that are frequently mentioned and look at little known neighborhoods that can give you some good values in homes and a good quality of life.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-21-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makennamomerin View Post
Aurora has nice houses in good areas, but again way out east and there's just more crime on the news about it.

Oh my! What would people think of somebody who lived in a city that had its crime reported on the news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver